New Tenyo 2011 Line Leaked!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

New Tenyo 2011 Line Leaked!

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 5th, 2010, 7:26 pm

The next line of Tenyo products, looking more interesting than the last batch, appeared on the internet and I'm pleased to reprint the material here.

1) A see-through box is on a platform and can clearly be seen to be empty, yet when it is lifted there is a small Statue Of Liberty on the platform.

2) A spectator's ring is sealed in a box. The box is even shaken to ...prove the ring is still inside. When the box is opened, the ring is gone and appears on the magician's finger.

3) An unfolded bill floats between the magician's hands.

4) A spectator chooses a card. A lightbulb is passed over the spread deck and the bulb lights over the chosen card.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney

Re: New Tenyo 2011 Line Leaked!

Postby Jim Maloney » August 6th, 2010, 9:11 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:3) An unfolded bill floats between the magician's hands.

Anything like the Mike Bornstein item?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 6th, 2010, 10:10 am

I have posted all that is known at this time.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » August 24th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Trick 1, the Statue of Liberty trick is by the genius that is Lubor Fiedler. I saw a video of it and it looks wonderful!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 24th, 2010, 6:35 pm

I WANT TO SEE IT!!!!!!!

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » August 24th, 2010, 7:28 pm

HI Angelo,

Any news on the milk trick. I want the first one.

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Steve Cohen

Postby Steve Cohen » August 24th, 2010, 9:06 pm

Richard and Angelo,

Shimomura-san showed me Lubor's Statue of Liberty trick when I was in Tokyo earlier this month.

It is extremely clever, and looks extremely magical.

-Steve Cohen

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » August 25th, 2010, 4:48 am

I spoke with Mark Setteducati on Monday at The Magic Circle about Lubor's trick -- it seems wonderful. Mark visited with Lubor recently.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » August 25th, 2010, 11:06 am

I can't wait to see the Lubor Fiedler trick. Am really glad that he is working with Tenyo again... I don't know anything about the trick - but I wonder if it uses the Reality Twister Lens principle which came out awhile ago?

Also - Matthew? - Did Mark mention whether or not he is still working on the big Lubor Fiedler book?

Thanks!

Joe

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 25th, 2010, 11:16 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:...

1) A see-through box is on a platform and can clearly be seen to be empty, yet when it is lifted there is a small Statue Of Liberty on the platform.

Can this work as a clear cup for the cups and balls? - ie a way to prove the clear cup is empty before you cover with paper - or a moment where you lift the paper off the cup to show nothing - then later lift both to show the ball?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 25th, 2010, 11:22 am

We'll have to wait and see.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » August 25th, 2010, 11:53 am

Angelo Carbone wrote:Trick 1, the Statue of Liberty trick is by the genius that is Lubor Fiedler. I saw a video of it and it looks wonderful!

Not so new for the statue anyway. You can't see the detail of the statue in this small picture but its from a late 19th century broadside showing a street magician doing cups with a statue finale. I used it for an ad for a table about 15 years ago. I'll try to dig out the original and scan it for more detail later when I have time.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » August 25th, 2010, 7:43 pm

@ Brendan. Hey mate! Hoping to get it released by Christmas (fingers crossed). :-)

@ Richard. I saw it on Mark's laptop when he was at the Circle on Monday.

I have had the pleasure to see the original prototype several years ago when Lubor was in London. It was the size of a shoe box then.

Here is exactly what happens...

The base has the stripey backdrop attached. Clear box is aside. The backdrop is lifted up to show nothing at the back of the base and the base is turned over to show nothing under it either. The backdrop is replaced. Next the box is shown inside and out and all around it. Nothing inside at all. It is placed on the base and the stripy backdrop is naturally seen through the box. The backdrop is removed one final time and show all around on both sides. The box is still empty. Backdrop is replaced. When box is lifted straight up a statue is standing on the base. The statue is removed and everything can be repeated to produce a second statue although only one statue is supplied.

Statues are real and you can use any similar sized object although a simple modification may need to be done to the backdrop.

Handling by Toru Suzuki I believe.

Postby 000 » August 26th, 2010, 8:18 am

Here's hoping the lady doesnt 'clank' in the important moment-such as what happens in MINI-MORPHOSIS.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » August 26th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Thanks for that! :) Not my fault Tenyo is made out of plastic :)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 26th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Tenyo's stuff is notorious for making noises at unfortunate moments.

I've humorously thought that they all must be deaf not to hear all the sliding, clicking, and thwacking sounds.

Al Cohen told me that he used to actually point out the odd sound in his patter and say something like, "Listen and you'll hear the magic happen." That's balls.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » August 26th, 2010, 6:07 pm

When doing piff-paff-poof, there is a click at the moment of penetration. So I hold up the circle end of the safety pin and point out that the inside half of the circle is only one thickness of steel, but the outside is two. "The steel bar will penetrate the single loop and slam into the double outer loop before going through that. You may even be able to hear a click as it it hits the double loop." That way, when they hear the click, it functions as a confirmation of the magic, rather than a repudiation of it.

As they say, if you can't hide it, paint it red.

Postby 000 » August 27th, 2010, 12:21 am

"Not my fault Tenyo is made out of plastic"

Sorry, not good enough.
Take Mini-morphosis for example.
I will gladly credit you for clever thinking on this one.
The video that 'sold' me the effect mysteriously had no noises. .

But perform it yourself and 'thwack clacko'

May I humbly suggest that if Tenyo (plastic as you say) cant do justice to an effect take it to another magifacturer? I believe said effect has been discontinued, a pity, as had it been well made, would have been a great effect! (and will buy elite version in the unlikely event of that happening.)

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » August 27th, 2010, 10:26 am

I too was disappointed with the noise but had no idea about it until I got the final product in my hands. As for the video demos I wasn't responsible for them. May be better to contact Tenyo direct and tell them about the misleading video if you can call it misleading.

Yes a wooden version by Tenyo Elite would be wonderful. They could add sponge at the tips of the panel and under the lid.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » August 27th, 2010, 11:12 am

How about a version - say something that contains three balls, comes with a shell, the gaffus and one extra colored ball for a color change in the middle of the routine? That way one might actually do the trick somewhere in the Mora/Scarne/Vernon routine in context and to more magical effect.

How come this supposedly plastic (or wooden) box lid is sticking to my cufflink?

Postby 000 » August 28th, 2010, 12:50 am

Thank you Angelo.
I hope you can persuade the boys at elite to remake this in limited deluxe version.
Apart from wooden box and felt:
what about widening the cloth cover ( with a little wooden frame of course!)so that the box lies within the confines of the square cloth, which is raised by a an attached stick ( from the back)
Much cleaner than fiddling the cloth over the box.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » August 28th, 2010, 5:56 am

All noted mister. :) On a side note, to make the change more surefire, add a small magnetic coin to the back of the magnet on the curtain so it beomes weighted and doesn't easily repell away from the box magnet. Sorry to go off topic.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » October 4th, 2010, 3:37 am

2 Videos:

4-D Surprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAD9pipCv5c
Ghost Lamp: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUIx2ua2pWg

Can't find the other ones sadly.

Clearer photo below:

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » October 4th, 2010, 4:57 am

Many thanks for these, Angelo. Posted here all the way from Italy!

The Lubor Fiedler trick does, indeed, seem to use the Reality Twister, but it sure looks good. And the bulb is reminiscent of Beam Shot, but also good.

Joe -- yes, Mark Setteducati assured me he was working on the big Lubor Fiedler book. Slowly but, I hope, surely. I've offered any help I can provide.

Matt Field

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » October 4th, 2010, 5:29 am

All the way from Italy ideed. Back to London on the 8th. :-)

Note with 4-D Surprise, you can immediately repeat the effect to produce a second statue.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 4th, 2010, 9:11 am

Angelo, the Tenyo toys look pretty good.

How do you feel the items should be cited in reference when someone takes the mechanics and builds something that looks credible and context relevant to their work (ie as something other than 'here is a cute toy that does something tricky) ?

On a related note - what is your feeling about the direct publication of the methods used and some of the details about the product design/realization/manufacturing process that leads up to the product release?

I'm asking because as things stand we have some wonderful work and thinking in evidence of miniatures which IMHO have rightful place in our literature of accomplishments as more than mere toy-catalog numbers.

puzzled in NY,

Jon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » October 4th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Thanks for the info, Matthew! Glad to see Mark is working on the Fiedler book. He is a very creative guy and I would love to see a book on his ideas someday as well (I have so many wishes for books I should probably set up my own magic publishing company).

Also - Angelo - I really enjoyed the article on you in GENII awhile ago. I you ever put together a big book then I definitely think you should talk about some of your unreleased Tenyo prototypes. The one featured in the article looked fascinating.

Joe

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 4th, 2010, 1:40 pm

Angelo:
Is the Scotty York bulb (Ghost bulb) made of glass or plastic?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 4th, 2010, 1:58 pm

The old Scotty York bulbs never worked consistently. I bought one, it didn't work, returned it for another, didn't work, stuck it in the drawer. Let's hope that the folks at Tenyo have solved this problem.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » October 4th, 2010, 3:39 pm

@ Jon: I totally agree. There have been some wonderful Tenyo tricks released over the years and I have always thought Tenyo Magic is often more magical and clever than non Tenyo magic available at dealers. Not sure what the best way to 'label' Tenyo tricks as they are unique and famous in their own right amongst magicians. Also not sure if you are refering to presentation reference or research/database reference. During performance, Tenyo magic could be referred to as they first trick that was purchased when one was a child. This will justify the 'toy' like appearance of the magic trick which can work to the advantage of the magician because the audience may presume a 'child's magic toy' would not be very good (when in fact it would be VERY good). When it comes to research/logging , the word 'plastic' should be used as 95% of tenyo is plastic.

As for a 'backstory' on individual tricks, I am sure it would be fascinating to Tenyo fans and magicians but as the copyright and sometimes patent resides with Tenyo, I doubt they would ever give permission unless the items are either discontinued or not similar to any existing or future Tenyo trick. Product design and realization would probably be more granted than method descriptions. One to question Tenyo direct I feel.

@ Joe: I am working on my book and aiming for it to be published by Christmas or early January. I wasn't going to talk about unreleased Tenyo but now you have put the thought into my head, I just may do so. Will see.

@ erdnasephile: I presume plastic as Tenyo Magic is sold in toy stores in Japan so glass would be a safety hazard to children.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » October 4th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Good luck with the book! I can't wait to check it out...

Joe

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » October 4th, 2010, 4:48 pm

From Angelo Carbone: As for a 'backstory' on individual tricks, I am sure it would be fascinating to Tenyo fans and magicians but as the copyright and sometimes patent resides with Tenyo, I doubt they would ever give permission unless the items are either discontinued or not similar to any existing or future Tenyo trick. Product design and realization would probably be more granted than method descriptions. One to question Tenyo direct I feel.

Just an FYI, I believe that in most countries the term for patents is 20 years, after which the invention becomes part of the public domain. Also, as part of the terms of granting the patent to the inventor, the patent itself is published into the public domain (the patent only prevents the manufacturing or use of the invention.)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » October 8th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Smurf

Postby Smurf » October 8th, 2010, 7:32 pm

I watched all four videos and the Ghost Lamp effect really "outshines" the others to me.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » October 8th, 2010, 7:46 pm

That floating bill was terrible.

The Rattle Box probably would have looked better if the guy knew how to use it deceptively rather than tip the works by........well "tipping" too far.

The other two are quite brilliant, and look good even when demonstrated poorly.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 8th, 2010, 10:26 pm

By the way if you use Chrome, have it translate the page for you.

The floating bill seems like a very poor trick for non-magicians. It requires great skill to make that look magical.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 9th, 2010, 12:33 am

The light bulb is made of plastic and works consistently.

Randi Rain

Postby Randi Rain » October 9th, 2010, 3:01 pm

By the way if you use Chrome, have it translate the page for you.

That was funny.
My favorite quote...

"Super magic had not yet seen anyone."

My feelings exactly. :/

On another note...
I just tried to post this using the quote tags, and got this...
"For readability, you can only quote messages levels deep."
What the hell does that mean? Was that translated from Japanese too?

Randi

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 9th, 2010, 3:50 pm

cool, what's is say about the cards with pics of man and a woman with greyed out areas?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Randi Rain

Postby Randi Rain » October 9th, 2010, 4:19 pm

I don't know what you are talking about.

If it's something on a video, it doesn't translate that.
Just the text on the webpage.

Randi

Return to “Buzz”