TAOM 2011 Convention-San Antonio, Texas

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
ADG

TAOM 2011 Convention-San Antonio, Texas

Postby ADG » September 16th, 2010, 2:14 am

Make your plans now for next year's Texas Association of Magicians Convention in beautiful San Antonio, Texas during the Labor Day weekend 2011. Host hotel will be the spacious Hilton Palacio Del Rio by the Riverwalk with three stage shows at the Lila Cockrell Theatre of the Performing Arts. Hotel rates will be $100/night and also very affordable convention rates, so bring the whole family. The TAOM has a memorable 60 plus years of magical history and San Antonio has always hosted the best convention with a Texas friendly tradition. The TAOM Convention will be dedicated to our Special Guest of Honor, JOHN CORNELIUS. The following acts have been booked:

JOHN ARCHER
QUENTIN REYNOLDS
WAYNE HOUCHIN
CURT MILLER
TOM STONE
DAVID KAPLAN
NICK LEWIN
MARK WORGAN
AMOS LEVKOVITCH
WAYNE DOBSON
OSCAR MUNOZ
plus more to come...
Check out more details at: taom2011.com
TAOM 2011 "A Texas Tradition"

Alex

pixsmith

Re: TAOM 2011 Convention-San Antonio, Texas

Postby pixsmith » September 16th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Interesting hotel, that was a completely modular build, constructed in about 200 days when HemisFair (where I saw an amazing Mark Wilson magic show that might have been sponsored by SW Bell, but I forget) was in San Antonio in 1968. The rooms were build and furnished down to the carpeting, as I recall, and then lifted into place by crane. If like me, you are a geek for this kind of thing, more here http://goo.gl/C9vb If you like the popular story -- here http://goo.gl/ZDUa

Also of interest, the first La Quinta was built in San Antonio as well to accommodate mid-price attendees of this world's fair. No word or memory if it was next to a Denny's or not, but I would bet yes.

So there; a bit more to whet your appetites.

Pix
Last edited by pixsmith on September 16th, 2010, 9:59 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: added Popular Science link. I knew it was there someplace.

ADG

Postby ADG » September 18th, 2010, 12:00 am

Pix,
The Hilton Palacio Del Rio was one amazing bit of architectual/construction engineering built by the H.B.Zachry Construction Company. I was there downtown when the crane was physically maneuvering the modular finished rooms. It was awesome! Just as awesome was seeing David Walker pitching Svengali decks at Hemisfair Park with a young kid assisting him. I also remember seeing Bev Bergeron pitching Mark Wilson Magic Sets at Joske's department store with a young kid assisting him. That young kid was none other than John Cornelius. Go figure....what the future had in mind. BTW, I believe the first La Quinta Inn was built in Market Square in downtown San Antonio.
Alex

pixsmith

Postby pixsmith » September 18th, 2010, 12:51 am

It was in Market Square. I remember the Joske's downtown from many visits to my godparents in SA.

I actually saw parts of the hotel being built, and then begged and wheedled for about a solid year to get to go to Hemisfair. It was amazing, especially to 9 year old eyes, and in retrospect, my mother was a saint. My thinking is that we were going to eat in the tower restaurant, but that a coat was required. Riiiiight. In San Antonio, in the summer, in the middle of the World's Fair.

ADG

Postby ADG » April 14th, 2011, 2:14 am

TAOM 2011 Convention update....newly booked acts:

RICHARD TURNER
JON RACHERBAUMER
SCOTT LAND
ED SOLOMON
DAVID ACER
NATHAN KEPNER
GAETAN BLOOM
....plus more to come.....