Whatever Became of the Genii Forum?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Tom Gilbert

Re: Whatever Became of the Genii Forum?

Postby Tom Gilbert » May 21st, 2010, 10:37 am

I don't think Genii has changed much, but as one pointed out, there isn't as many active posters. I have seen a change in fourms in general. I'm on a couple of music forums also. It does seem if someone posts their opinion, they could be asked to defend (not discuss) what they posted. Or even have their opinion attacked. At times, the "discussions" degenerate to name calling, which gets a little childish. But whether that's an issue with the internet or society in general, who's to know. I would think/hope if the same people were in a room talking about the same subject it would be a little more civil.

magicam

Postby magicam » May 22nd, 2010, 10:02 am

Jolly Roger wrote:... I enjoy the GF, but rarely post any more as I find so many posts dull and lacking in wit. JR

Perhaps you should seek a Robert Orben memorial forum?

Then again, perhaps I do Orben an injustice by associating him with some of the "wit" seen on this forum ...

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » May 22nd, 2010, 8:47 pm

"I was born on the stairs and that's why I'm a stepchild."

This is from an Orben book whose name I can't remember.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » June 3rd, 2010, 10:54 am

I think a lot of forums have peaks and valleys. Sometimes the forums are hopping and you log in every few minutes to see what is next, especially if there is a great heated topic like the one about the new [edited] Magic Menu. Sometimes it seems like the forum is an abandoned amusement park.

You tend to see the same topics on the various forums. Someone wants to know which Ace Assembly is the best one, what are your top 5 effects, if you could have dinner with any magician past or present, etc. Many topics have been visited and revisited to the point where interest in posting on them has dropped.

Many people come and go on the forums. Some drop out of magic, some burn out from the forums and some just don't have time to post.

I enjoy the forums. I like to read what other people write. I don't agree with a lot of it. As a matter of fact, I think a lot of magicians are full of [censored] but once in a while, you see something great or even more annoying posted on the forum.

Dustin summed it up when he wrote "The Genii Forum is what you make of it". He's right. If you think it is becoming dull, post some topics you want to discuss. Make it more interesting.

Some people have a problem with Mark Lewis, but I think Mark Lewis is great for this forum. He is the guy that draws mustaches on the posters and licks the mouthpiece of the payphone you just used. Richard does a good job letting him post for a bit and then giving him the boot. He is knowledgeable and likes to take the piss out of some of the more pretentious magicians. mark Lewis is an acquired taste - sort of like scrapple.

Mark Lewis' appearances on the Genii Forum remind me of when Gene Gene the Dancing Machine would show up on the Gong Show. Things were going normal and then Gene would come out and dance. Everyone was into it for about a minute and then they would gong him and kick him off. A few episodes later, Gene gene would be back on getting his groove on.

Until Mark Lewis the Dancing Machine comes back, I will be glad to answer any magic questions everyone has. Just ask away!
Last edited by Silly Walter on June 3rd, 2010, 8:57 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Because I felt like it.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

James Cotton

Postby James Cotton » June 3rd, 2010, 10:58 am

Walter, what can be done to assist Ben Harris lift his creative standards?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 3rd, 2010, 11:15 am

James Cotton wrote:Walter, what can be done to assist Ben Harris lift his creative standards?

James, who would you like him to lift his standards from?

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » June 3rd, 2010, 11:16 am

James Cotton wrote:Walter, what can be done to assist Ben Harris lift his creative standards?

Is the problem with Mr. Harris' material or is the problem with the advertising, in some peoples opinions, not accurately depicting the effect he is selling?

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » June 3rd, 2010, 11:17 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:

James, who would you like him to lift his standards from?

50 points for Hogwarts! Nice JT. Not only was it funny but I actually understood what you wrote.

James Cotton

Postby James Cotton » June 3rd, 2010, 11:51 am

Silly Walter wrote:

Is the problem with Mr. Harris' material or is the problem with the advertising, in some peoples opinions, not accurately depicting the effect he is selling?

That's pretty astute. You may have hit the nail on the head. It's just he seemed to be having a lot of drama in another thread after releasing an effect before it was tested in front of a sufficient number of people for a reasonable period. That's how it seems to me. Is that right?

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » June 3rd, 2010, 1:25 pm

James Cotton wrote:That's pretty astute. You may have hit the nail on the head. It's just he seemed to be having a lot of drama in another thread after releasing an effect before it was tested in front of a sufficient number of people for a reasonable period. That's how it seems to me. Is that right?

It sounds like the method is fairly obvious to someone paying attention. Two people in a row got busted so that tells me that there is something obvious about the solution. I am sure it will fool some people (some of the worse magic effects will even fool some people) but it sounds like Mr. Harris is the victim of Al Baker's comment of a magician that stopped thinking too soon. Perhaps audience testing the material for at least a year would have ended with Mr. Harris reshaping the effect or dropping it.

If the ad is misleading or is outright false, the effect will suffer. It's tough to like an effect when the actual effect doesn't really match the ad (and in this case, the routine is actually a let down).

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 3rd, 2010, 9:10 pm

Regarding Mr. Lewis:

No one lobbied harder than I to have Mr. Lewis remain a member of this forum. Richard let him stay for longer than usual as an experiment and what did Lewis do? Burnt the bridge and pissed on the ashes. Not only did he lose my support, he demolished my respect for him. I will no longer tolerate Mr. Lewis and his antics. Frankly, his knowledge is not worth the hassle. His abilities are far overstated as the video proves. I am close to placing his name on the list of words that cannot be posted here.

Mr. Lewis blew it. Not Richard, not me; Mr. Lewis. So make no mistake: while he might make an appearance now and again, he will be deleted as soon as possible. Just like I have to keep pulling weeds around my house, the weed that is Mark Lewisand thats what he is, a weedwill be pulled at the first opportunity.

Dustin

Return to “General”