Real Magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Real Magic

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 25th, 2010, 11:56 am

This is incredible:
http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blo ... mapping-by

Imagine a magic show done this way.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Britland

Re: Real Magic

Postby David Britland » May 25th, 2010, 4:58 pm

The use of animated projections on buildings has been used in the UK quite a lot, most recently by SKY TV during the election debates. There are some amazing examples on the web.

And there was the projected '3D' Loch Ness monster in Japan used to publicise a movie:

3D Japanese Monster

Marco Tempest has some very clever ideas that incorporate projection technology and magic. There's an example here:

Marco Tempest at TEDx Tokyo

It'll be interesting to see whether magicians can make use of the technology without its use being apparent.

Descartes

Postby Descartes » May 25th, 2010, 5:38 pm

This is very interesting. I've not seen this technology before. I'm especially curious about how different the projection looks from different viewing angles.

As David Britland said, it will be interesting to see if magicians can use this technology without its use being apparent. Maybe this could be used to create something like a modern day Pepper's ghost? (just a thought).

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » May 26th, 2010, 1:32 am

Some years back part of the show at the Luxor in Vegas used what I think was a Showscan projection of a TV talk show. It looked quite real as Showscan is projected in 70mm and 60 frames a second as opposed to the normal 24 frames a second.

Then there was all those great effects during the Canadian Olympic opening ceremonies. I'd pay just to see that live in a stadium.

Return to “Buzz”