Carolina Close-up Convention - 2010 Edition

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Scott Robinson

Carolina Close-up Convention - 2010 Edition

Postby Scott Robinson » May 13th, 2010, 9:48 am

Carolina Close-up Convention 2010
(The East Coast Super Session)

Im pleased to announce Carolina Close-up Convention 2010. Last year was my first at the helm and I learned a lot. Hopefully with a few tweaks this one will be even better than the 2009 edition,

The convention has been in existence for the past 4 years (under a couple of different names) and has always been host to some great talent such as Fisher, Asher, Wagner, Gallo, Kosby, Skutt, England, Beam, DeCamps, Tyler Wilson, Geoff Williams, Nate Kranzo and many others.

All the talent is already booked! We will continue having the special events that worked and Ive have dumped the one that didnt. (Yes I know the contest was painful).

Here are the details . . .

Date/Location
October 1st and 2nd 2010
Charlotte University Holiday Inn
8520 University Exec Park Dr
Charlotte, NC 28262
(704) 547-0999 (704) 547-0999

Talent

Im very excited about the line-up. I believe we have hit a great balance between established names and new Up and Comers. I hope you agree . . .

Jon Armstrong
John Guastaferro
Cody Fisher
Karl Hein
Caleb Wiles
Chris Mayhew

Special Events

Newcomer Lecture After the success of Aaron DeLongs debut as the first Newcomer lecture, we will continue with the concept again this year with another mystery lecturer.

Like last year, the Newcomer Lecture will feature someone who is unknown to the masses but will be a familiar name to those in the know. The goal here is to give someone a chance to get some of the recognition they deserve as an innovator/creator of magic. The identity of the lecturer will remain a mystery up until the time they are introduced. This years newcomer will not disappoint!

Social Jam Hour (Hosted by Eric Jones) A few years ago I lectured at The Second Deal convention in Atlanta. One of the highlights was a session hosted by Paul Cummins that allowed everyone to share a move, trick or idea they had created or discovered with the group in a formal manner. With permission from Jason Alford we have taken the same concept and expanding it to encompass all of facets of close-up magic. It was a nice success last year and we will continue it again with a few small tweaks. Once again Eric Jones will be hosting the event.

The Show A formal close-up show featuring some of the top close-up workers around. Staged like a real show. After last years show Eric Decamps said All conventions should do their close-up show like that one.

The Sleight Club Lecture The Sleight Club is taking a year off but will be back next year with a very special lecture.

As you can see we have a great line-up and some cool events. I hope you will make it!

For more details and registration information please visit http://www.tricsconvention.com

Silly Walter

Re: Carolina Close-up Convention - 2010 Edition

Postby Silly Walter » May 14th, 2010, 12:07 pm

What is "the Sleight Club"?
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 14th, 2010, 12:35 pm

Silly Walter wrote:What is "the Sleight Club"?

It's a lot like the Fight Club . Rule number one is you do not talk about Sleight Club!

:)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » May 14th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Joe Pecore wrote:
Silly Walter wrote:What is "the Sleight Club"?

It's a lot like the Fight Club . Rule number one is you do not talk about Sleight Club!

:)

They should come back in 2011 as Project Mayhem.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Scott Robinson

Postby Scott Robinson » May 15th, 2010, 9:35 am

Thanks Tim - I hope you and Sue-Anne make it over for my little convention someday. It was great seeing you at 4F.

To answer the "What is the Sleight Club" question?

We are a group based out of Charlotte NC who meets weekly. We have been doing this for over 12 years. We're a bit different from the normal magic club - we're all getting better and developing material. If we believe something is not good - we voice our opinion honestly and without any sugar coating.

For the past 3 years at the Carolina Close-up Convention we have lecture (as a group). Every lecture has been totally different with all new material.

Here is a couple of post from those that attended previous conventions.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 8&forum=30

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/sear ... st=5763545

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 15th, 2010, 11:23 am

[font:Book Antiqua] [size:14pt]
Scott:

You put on a wonderful convention. Last year's was a lot of fun. I didn't you could match the level of talent you had from last year's event but looking over who you booked for this year, it certainly looks like you did!

As I told you before its smart how you program the evening show by also selling tickets to the lay public. They truly get to experience some really mind-blowing performers.

I liked the event so much that Im coming back this year as an attendee! Hope to see you all there!

Best,

Eric DeCamps

PS The Sleight Club ROCKS!

[/size][/font]

hagemagic

Postby hagemagic » May 19th, 2010, 10:18 pm

The second rule of sleight club is that if you talk about sleight club you will be eliminated.

Looking forward to the convention!

Scott Robinson

Postby Scott Robinson » June 5th, 2010, 9:06 am

Thanks Eric - I look forward to seeing you in October.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » July 12th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Bumping this up - if you haven't registered yet, now is the time! This year is going to be even better than last. http://www.tricsconvention.com

You can read about it, or BE A PART OF IT!

Return to “Buzz”