Stand Up Deck Switch

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Roberto

Stand Up Deck Switch

Postby Roberto » March 29th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Hello all,
I need some help with this please. I'm trying to locate a deck switch that can be done close-up and standing. Can someone point me in the direction of a source that teaches such a deck switch? I think Giobbi had an article in Genii not too long ago on deck switches so I'm going to dig that copy up. Many thanks!

Roberto

Donal Chayce

Re: Stand Up Deck Switch

Postby Donal Chayce » March 29th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Tommy Wonder tips his standing deck switch in "The Books of Wonder" and also in at least one of his DVDs.

You might think that it's too bold, but I use it and it flies right by.
The MacGician®

Roberto

Postby Roberto » March 29th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Thanks Donal. Unfortunately, I don't own the Wonder books (darn it!). Any other sources? Thanks again.

Roberto

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 29th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Gertner, Tamariz, Elmsley... not an new problem.
Or better yet, pick up the Tommy Wonder books

Q- he discusses the switch in the video set?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 29th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Jon -- see this POST for the answer to your question.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Yes, Bill, in which item on which disc?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

gberard

Postby gberard » March 29th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Shawn Faquhar has the best deck switch that I have never seen. He did it twice in his lecture and he warned us before hand that he was going to do it again and we all missed it.

You did't mention if you need to switch the deck during the course of a given trick or as a prelude to another trick. If the latter then just do some effect that requires you to pocket the deck and pull out the switchced deck. If the former is the case then look up Shawn's method. It requires that you wear a jacket but it is very good.

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » March 29th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Jonathan, I don't think it's in the "Visions of Wonder" DVD set (at least I don't recall it being there), but a quick online search indicates that it's in the British Close-up Symposium DVD and in a DVD entitled "Wonderized." (I think one of these DVDs may be a repackaging of the other.)

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&ke ... nt=froogle

http://www.ronjo.com/magic/DVDWONDERIZED.html
The MacGician®

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 29th, 2010, 7:42 pm

It's the first link that you want (The Tommy Wonder Video). It has the switch that Donal--and I--recommend.

Dustin

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » March 30th, 2010, 12:16 am

This past year at the Buffalo 52 Paul Gertner performed a deck switch that, if memory serves, was directly out of Al Baker (you can look for it in Annemann's 202 Methods of Forcing). It's a basic go-into-your-opposite-pocket type switch and the way he did it (looking for a pen or some such object) was so well covered that it flew by a room full of learned magicians, and when he explained it a bunch of us slapped our heads or jumped up and down in delight. It's the same type of thing you get out of Tamariz or Giobbi. It's the folks that do it right that fry everyone.

-T

Roberto

Postby Roberto » March 30th, 2010, 4:11 am

Thank you all for your excellent references. I will certainly be looking these up. Gberard, does Faquhar have this switch in print? If so, what's the name of the book?

AMCabral,
You just reminded me of this deck switch of Gertner's. I saw him do this switch about six or seven years ago at a lecture I attended and forgot all about it. Again, many thanks to all!

Roberto

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 30th, 2010, 8:15 am

Your're welcome Roberto, Tony. Look at the fourth post in thread.

Gertner called it a gravity switch in lecture a few years ago. Anyone know if it's in one of his books?

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » March 30th, 2010, 10:53 am

As far as I recall, gravity didn't have anything to do with the switch I saw. He just came out of the wrong pocket with a different deck.

My point was less about Gertner (although he did the switch wonderfully) and more about the old methods of deck switching. There's a few in the Annemann book I mentioned and some in the Svengali Deck chapter of The Encyclopedia of Card Magic (although they might be mostly the same).

Gberard is also correct: if you're doing something where you want the audience to see a normal deck that somehow becomes different (goes all blank, e.g.), you want a switch. If you just need to ring in a special pack to start a trick (gaffed, stacked, whatever), you can usually just bring it in between tricks.

-T

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 30th, 2010, 11:34 am

Folks find the Elmsley switch? Have a look under "Dazzle Act".
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

gberard

Postby gberard » March 30th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Roberto - Shawn's deck switch is in his "Bread & Butter" lecture notes. You can get them from his website. www.shawnfarquhar.com , just click on "The Back Room" button.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » March 30th, 2010, 12:52 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Folks find the Elmsley switch? Have a look under "Dazzle Act".

Don't stop there. In Vol.1 there are two good ones as well.

rkosby

Postby rkosby » March 30th, 2010, 9:52 pm

I hope I remember this correctly, but I believe Ackerman 2004 has a trick called Finesse the Finessed that results in a stand up deck switch. I haven't been able to find my copy yet but you may be able to contact Allan through http://allanackerman.com.

Karl Hein (aka Karl Koppertop) has a set of lecture notes called Go With the Flow. It has trick called Breaking The 2nd Rule. It also results in a stand up deck switch (but you do need a table or stand to set the deck on).

Good luck.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 30th, 2010, 11:29 pm

David Regal's "No Switch Switch" is on p493 of Approaching Magic. It's really a different approach that requires no switch of the deck.

But really, get a copy of The Books of Wonder and use that one.

Maritess

Postby Maritess » September 15th, 2010, 4:30 am

I love this thread. I'm also looking for a stand-up deck switch that does not require a jacket or pockets, I'll be doing this on stage, so there are other locations where it could be switched. From looking at this discussion, I guess it's down to the Tommy Wonder method and/or looking at Ackerman's material. Could someone tell me if these need pockets or not, thanks!

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » September 15th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Tommy Wonder's method does.

There's a Carl Cloutier method that uses a jacket, with a topit, but not pockets, per se. Actually, with a topit, several standing switches are possible. Ron Wilson published a good one.

Without a jacket, Billy McComb had a switch that took place on the brim of a hat, there are several ways of switching if you have a table with a handkerchief on it, and you could always have your assistant or a friend in the audience do it for you.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 15th, 2010, 3:05 pm

I thought the usual was to bring out a hank or other larger prop (and some incidental)- do a handoff and then put away that something extra. Too much blocking required for most or perhaps we're talking about something that has to be done under heat and fire? Sounds like the old servante on the back of a chair appraoch was somehow ruled out due to working conditions. But speaking of "work" there's the Workaroo to help manage some of the traffic as it happens.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”