Tom Mullica Update

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Debbie Leifer

Re: Sad Tom Mullica News

Postby Debbie Leifer » February 23rd, 2010, 3:00 am

Tom,
Sending you positive thoughtsfrom Atlanta! I'm so sorry to learn of your illness. Always remember you've got friends and fans all over the world who will send you their support and pray for you throughout your treatment and recovery.

I hope you'll be happy to know that while performing just last night at a cub scout banquet, a man came up to me to exclaim that he visited the Tom-Foolery often, and that he never laughed more than during your shows! He recalled fondly so many of your routines, and it made me wonder how many magicians make such an impact on their audience that laypeople still talk about specific effects more than 20 years after seeing a show. Although I moved here shortly after you left Atlanta, I visited several times in the 80's, and seeing you perform was the highlight of every one of those vacations!

I'd say that at least once a year I meet a layperson on a job who mentions you and the fun they had at your Buckhead club. When they talk about their memories of your performances I always explain that they have good taste, because you're one of the best, and I always use the phrase that you're a "magician's magician" because of your exceptional technical skill. Whenever I attempt to list my all-time favorite lecturers you always top my list because your lectures not only contain great magic content, but you are soooo funny during both the performance and teaching segments!

Wishing you the best of luck and sending you positive thoughts for an easy time with your treatments.

Debbie Leifer

amp

Postby amp » February 23rd, 2010, 9:38 am

Tom ,
You have always been one of my heroes.
I wish you a fast recovery.
Your pal
Andrew Martin
Toledo ,Ohio
You know the guy for wife swap.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » February 23rd, 2010, 11:30 am

Walked over to the bookshelf today and pulled down Richard's book on Tom. While flipping through the pages, I found an old postcard from the Bar and several programs from the show. I had some great tmes there and always loved Tom's work.

For those that never made it to Atlanta in those days, here's a peek at what the front looked like.

Nathan Allen

Postby Nathan Allen » February 24th, 2010, 1:17 am

Tom,

Best wishes for a solid recovery, and thanks again for your generosity with that bit of business you're loaning me.

:)

-Nathan Allen
http://maniacofmagic.com
nathan@maniacofmagic.com
Des Moines, Iowa
-Nathan Allen
www.maniacofmagic.com

Tabman

Postby Tabman » February 26th, 2010, 12:37 pm

Magic Newswire wrote:....I found an old postcard from the Bar and several programs from the show....

That postcard brings back some great memories. Walking up to Tom Foolery or even driving by would get me going. We're so lucky that Tom put the Foolery in Atlana. What a great marquee. Thanks for posting that and again, best wishes to Tom.

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 3:49 pm

My dear Harry...
You've been such a GREAT friend over the years and we've shared a lot of laughs together - REMEMBER? Of course you do! Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and my best to both you and Renee.
Your friend,
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 3:56 pm

Moo-Moo Kaufman...
I'm starting my second round of chemo in a few days. They want to do another bone marrow biopsy to see how my first round went first. I'm in good spirits but have little to no energy. Thanks for your concern...
Your friend,
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 4:03 pm

Tabman...
The Foolery was a GREAT place...I have a wonderful legacy to leave behind. I've had the best teachers, friends and wonderful times in my life and have no reason to complain. I'm weak and wouldn't wish this treatment on anyone. Thanks for posting the marquee...built by J. C. Doty of Atlanta, the guy who build the bar. After months of work he didn't ask for a cent so I wrote him a check for $1,000,000.00...I told him he couldn't cash it so it still hangs in his home. Thanks again for the well wishes.
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 4:06 pm

Nathan...
How nice of you to post your well wishes...the love from the magic world enters my hospital room every day.
Keep 'em laughing.
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 4:18 pm

Andrew...
I've seen your wife-swap show re-played 3 times and laugh everytime I see it...it's a classic.
Thanks for the well wishes and say HI to your family.
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 4:33 pm

Richard...
I have been around, haven't I? My career can't be beat. My 2 years in Colon were 2 of the best years of my life. Having Neil Foster, Jerry Conklin, Monk Watson, Gordon Miller and the rest around all the time...I was like a kid in a candy shop.
Thanks for the uplifting message and kind thoughts.
Your friend,
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 4:37 pm

Debbie...
What a beautiful letter and what great stories. I have so many fans, people who remember more of what I've done than I do! Atlanta was a magical time in my life and performing every night subjected me to the best environment. I'm so happy that the laughter I brought to others was appreciated. Like Red Skelton's wife, Georgia, once said, "Being married to a comedian is no laughing matter!"
Thanks again for taking the time to share your memories.
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 4:41 pm

Mark...
Johnny Thompson and I have been close friends for many years...he's been like a father to me. We work well together and he's always there when I need help with my routining. I'm glad you have enjoyed my magic tapes...they were ALL fun to do. My first was with Stevens Emporium way back when! Joe & Martha Stevens have also been like parents to me...I'm such a luck guy to have been associated with the BEST in the business.
Thanks for the get well wishes...I appreciate you writing.
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 4:45 pm

Dustin...
What nice stories. It makes me happy to know that you've enjoyed my performance as a magician and actor/comedian. I hear Red Skelton stories every day...people all have their own personal memories of him. I'm so fortunate to have fans like he did.
How nice of you to share your memories with me and thanks for your best wishes.
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 1st, 2010, 4:52 pm

David...
What a beautiful letter and thanks for taking the time to write. I'm so sorry to hear that you too have hit a barrier in your life. A show-stopper to say the least. I'm taking it the best I can but as you know, it gives you a lot of time to think and appreciate the important things in life...like the friends you mentioned. I too am having the same experience...friends make the world go round and something like this really brings them out of the woodwork. It's a great feeling to be loved, isn't it?
I appreciate you taking the time to write and wish you a 100% recovery from this terrible thing we call cancer.
God Bless ya
Tom

Steve Cohen

Postby Steve Cohen » March 1st, 2010, 6:47 pm

Hi Tom:

My best friend, and magician, Mark Sicher suffered from cancer. You met him at Hank Lee's Conclave in 1994, and spent time together at his school, Connecticut College. His mom sent me many of his magic books after his untimely death, and I now have his copy of your book Showtime at the Tomfoolery. Here is what you inscribed to him in your book:

"Mark, Oh what magic has done for me... we would never have met without it!!! You have been an inspiration... Thanks for having me at the college. Your strength and love for life has helped me a great deal... thanks for your friendship, Tom. April '94"

I hope you remember the joy that you gave to my pal Mark Sicher during the twilight of his brief life, and that your own words may in some way provide strength to the very man who penned them.

I've always been a big fan of yours.
Much love,
Steve Cohen

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 2nd, 2010, 6:15 pm

Tom Mullica wrote:Tabman......the marquee...built by J. C. Doty of Atlanta....

Thanks Tom, the bass player in our band lived in one of the apartments that J.C. Doty owned. Doty is the man who sent me to The Foolery in the first place. I had forgotten that until you mentioned him and it made me think of neon!!!

Thats a good story about the million dollar check. I bet you're glad he never tried to cash it!! ;)

-=tab

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » March 3rd, 2010, 11:47 am

Well, I have to tell you one of my favorite Tom Mullica stories. This one happened about 30 years ago at the Midwest Magic Jubilee in St. Louis. The event was being held at a hotel by the airport with larger than what is now the norm for close up rooms. Tom was on the bill, and he happened to be the first performer in the room I was in. Of course, he blows everyone away. At that time, in addition to his cigarette act, he was performing his version of Any Card at Any Number with that vent voice which was hysterical and I'm telling you it looked like a miracle! We were all going "How in the @$%# did he do that?" It was a mixture of amazement and stomach pains from laughing so hard. After the performance, he walks out to go to the next room and most of us get up and follow to see this act again. Same thing happens in the second room, and that now larger room leaves to follow him again to the third room. By the time we all get to the 4th and final room, everyone is jammed in and he has everybody laughing like only Tom can do. It's nuts. One of the best close up performances I have ever seen, although it was more of a stage show by that time. Richard Kaufman, who was doing some incredible card work back then on the convention circuit, comes in the room as the final act and witness the last few minutes of Tom's performance and the crowd is just going crazy. When he's done, Richard just waves his hand to the effect that "I'm not following that" and kindly indicates to Tom to continue on....which he did for another 15 minutes doing stuff that just comes to his head. I will never forget the energy and laughter in that room. It was one special moment.

Love ya Tom!

Bill

David Stahl

Postby David Stahl » March 6th, 2010, 3:46 pm

A Magical Moment I will never forget.

I would like to share a story with the forum readers about one of the greatest magical moments I ever saw.

In 1989, I was in Paris with a friend and we decided to go to The World Famous Crazy Horse. We had no idea of whom we would see, but the Crazy Horse was known for featuring great magic acts.

We settled into our chairs, drank a glass of cheap champagne and waited for the show to begin. After several skits from the Crazy Horse dancers, the curtain opened and out walked Tom Mullica. I was pleasantly surprised and uttered to my friend, You are REALLY going to love this act

Tom proceeded to perform his hilarious and now famous cigarette act. As always, the audience absolutely loved him! The curtains closed as the audience continued to applaud for what seemed like a minute. What happened next became one of the funniest theatrical moments I have ever witnessed.

The curtain reopened to a blank stage. I fully expected to see Tom running out to take a well-deserved bow. However, after a few seconds I realized, along with the rest of the audience, that lying there in the center of the stage was Tom. Sprawled out and flat on his back, I could see Tom lying there lifeless with a steady stream of smoke, slowly pouring out from not just his mouth, but also from HIS EARS.

The audience started screaming and laughing so hard I swore someone would wet their pants; it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen on stage. As the laughter reached a feverish pitch, and with Tom still lying there lifeless, the curtain slowly closed.

Tom Mullica is one of the great gifts to the world. He is in a category all his own. Thank you Tom for all of the great laughs over the years and for the wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

David Stahl

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 6th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Steve, Tom's spouse, has posted some photos of Tom undergoing chemo on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=1 ... 1381923328
These appear to be viewable by anyone provided you are a member of Facebook.

Get well soon, Tom.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » March 6th, 2010, 9:48 pm

I'm a big fan of Tom, and this thread is great.

May I suggest that we rename it 'Tom Mullica Update'?

P.S. Tom: when you're feeling better, road trip. What I can bring you from St. Louis?
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Tabman

Postby Tabman » March 8th, 2010, 12:22 pm

Jim Martin wrote:...May I suggest that we rename it 'Tom Mullica Update'?...

Yes please...

Jim Maloney

Re: Tom Mullica Update

Postby Jim Maloney » March 8th, 2010, 12:38 pm

I've changed the title of the first entry, and I've changed the title on my post here to reflect that this is an "update". I'm not going to go through and change all seven pages of posts, though. In most cases, this should be enough (unless someone hits "Reply" from one of the in-between posts).

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » March 8th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Thanks Jim-
Jim Martin

St. Louis MO

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 11th, 2010, 11:09 am

to: All My Friends
11 March 2010

Thanks for writing, I appreciate your concern...

I spoke with my doctor today who says my white blood cell count is rising too quickly after my first chemo treatment and she thinks the cancerous cells haven't all been distroyed. So yesterday they did a third bone marrow biopsy to find out for sure. A second round of chemo will be necessary (sooner than expected) which will start today with heavier chemicals and bigger doses over a longer period of time. Something that will make me very sick...yuk? So, I'll have little to no energy to keep up with my e-mail/forum correspondance and will be out of the loop for at least 10 days. Thanks for writing, thanks for your concern and thanks VERY MUCH for your love. I'll write when I can.

Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » March 11th, 2010, 11:15 am

My dear friend, Bill...
That's one of my favorite stories too! Thanks for taking the time to write it up. As I've stated today on his forum...I'll be out of the loop for awhile and be quite sick. Before they start the chemo, I just had to write and thank you for EVERYTHING.
Love you too...
Tom

Return to “General”