Rising Cards

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
T Baxter

Rising Cards

Postby T Baxter » January 28th, 2010, 9:53 pm

I posted this in the Close Up Magic pages, but thought that those here may be interested as well. I mentioned a unique and very deceptive Rising Cards that I had made, and several people wrote asking if I would make some more. I've decided to make a limited run of 20 sets in Oak and 5 special sets in polished dark Mahogany.

My late mentor ran a magic shop for several decades. One of the items that he sold in the shop was a very clever version of The Rising Cards. Over the years he devised a number of refinements to this version of The Rising Cards and began crafting his own version out of wood for a few discriminating performers. Those Rising Cards are now collectors items, highly prized by the few that own them.

Before he died, he showed me the secrets to making his version of The Rising Cards.

Heres what happens:

An un-gimmicked, beautifully finished wooden houlette is handed out for examination. Next two small glass panes (equally un-gimmicked) are handed out for examination. Finally a pack of ordinary playing cards (this can be a borrowed deck) is handed out for examination and for shuffling.

The Performer shows his hands to be empty, then takes back the cards and spreads them face down for one, two, three or more participants to freely select cards no force involved. The participants note their cards and can sign their names on the cards and then the cards are returned to the middle of the pack. (They really are left in the middle of the pack no sleights.)

The Performer drops the cards into the wooden houlette and shows it on all sides. One pane of glass is slid into the front of the houlette, the other pane into the back, isolating the cards inside of the wooden houlette. Again this is shown front and back.

The houlette is placed upon the Performers palm. The first participant names his card, and the signed card slowly rises out of the middle of the pack for of its length. The participant can remove his card.

The second participant names his card and his signed card rises from the middle of the pack just as the first card did. With this card still protruding from the pack the Performer grasps the cards and the panes of glass together and slides them out of the houlette, showing all sides, and allowing the participants to wave their hands between and around the cards and houlette to prove the absence of threads, etc.
The Performer then slides the cards and panes of glass back into the houlette and allows the participant to remove his signed card.

The final participant names his card and immediately his signed card rises from the center of the pack. It continues rising, farther than the other cards, and the Performer reaches up and grasps the card just as it is about to leave the pack. He places it back into the houlette on an angle, and IMMEDIATELY hands the entire houlette/cards/panes of glass assembly to the participants for examination. No hint of a method can be found.

POINTS TO CONSIDER - NO motors, threads, elastic, loops, springs, plungers, electronics, gears, wires, extra cards, weights or pinky moves. Borrowed cards can be used. Could be done completely naked. The rate of rise of the cards is under the Performers control at all times, as is the time between the risings of the cards.

Included for advanced performers is my work on Think-of-a-Card, and specifically how it relates to this effect. By incorporating my methods the Performer can have an audience member merely THINK of a card in a spread deck and their un-named THOUGHT-OF card rises from the middle of the isolated pack. This out-of-print ebook previously sold on its own for $35.00.

Each Rising Card set will come in a carrying case and include a DVD that explains the history of the effect and teaches the handling of the routine, plus the bonus Think-of-a-Card version.

Price: $95.00 (U.S.) plus shipping for the Oak version, and $125.00 (U.S.) plus shipping for the Mahogany version. The Mahogany version will be limited to FIVE units.

Pre-orders will be accepted via paypal.com to me at: tombaxter@cogeco.ca on a first-come, first-serve basis. Delivery by February 20th, 2010.

Thomas Baxter
103 Garden Drive
Oakville, Ontario
Canada, L6K 2W4

Phone: (905) 842-2242
email: tom@thoughtcontrol.ca

T Baxter

Re: Rising Cards

Postby T Baxter » January 28th, 2010, 11:24 pm

These are going very quickly. Only one of the Mahogany sets left unspoken for. Still a number of Oak sets left.

Thanks for the enthusiastic response!

T. Baxter

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 28th, 2010, 11:24 pm

My money has been sent!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » January 28th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Thanks, Richard.

I'm very pleased that you'll have one of these.

T. Baxter

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 28th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Me, too! :)

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » January 28th, 2010, 11:54 pm

Please Note: The 5 Mahogany Card Rises have all been spoken for.

Still several sets of the Oak Card Rises left.

Again, I'm very gratified by the response, thank you.

Cheers,

T. Baxter

wildmagic

Postby wildmagic » January 29th, 2010, 12:11 pm

I sent an email.

Gary

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » January 29th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Hello All:

Just a quick 'heads-up' to those who may be considering a purchase -- There are just 4 sets of this Rising Cards remaining.

Thanks to all who have ordered or expressed interest.

T. Baxter

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » January 29th, 2010, 7:08 pm

All sets of my Rising Card in this limited run of 25 are now spoken for.

25 Rising Cards units in under 24 hours!

Thanks to all. The units will be shipped on or before February 20th.

Cheers,

T. Baxter

David Ben

Postby David Ben » February 4th, 2010, 5:06 pm

I imagine that Tom is selling Harry Smith's handling of the Upton Rising Cards. This trick was advertised in the March 1920 issue of Thayer's Bulletin by the Japanese Magic & Novelty Store. Harry Smith eventually purchased this shop from Joe Whitlam.

Tom will build a fine product, and he'll take time and care in preparing the notes and dvd, and you will receive the goods. I don't think you should have any concern about sending him the money.

As for the item in question, I'm sure that Tom would have sold out his proposed run of Rising Cards even if his ad copy had mentioned that it was the Upton Rising Cards. He could have said, for example, "One of the best rising cards is a method seldom seen. It is the Upton Rising Cards, produced originally in the 1920s, and sold by the Japanese Magic & Novelty Store. I saw my mentor, Harry Smith, perform this dozens of times and in his hands it was a masterpiece.

It uses no thread, wires, loops, magnets, weights, etc. Can be done with - should be done with - a borrowed pack.

Harry Smith taught me the ins and outs of the method and handling the apparatus. I'm going to produce a limited run of these and they will be beautiful. I'll also include a dvd of the handling, and manuscript that outlines the history and all the individual touches. I'll even include excerpts from my limited edition out-of-print treatise on "Think a Card" so that you can have a card merely thought of rise out of the center of the deck."
Last edited by David Ben on February 5th, 2010, 12:33 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Clean up time!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 5th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Back to our previously scheduled program: While it was entirely up to Tom to disclose more about the history of the method he was selling, I think it was a mistake that he didn't. It would not have affected his sales at all if there was less mystery and more history.

I am happy to have purchased one and am greatly looking forward to receiving it.

I have cleaned up this thread to its basic elements and hope the discussion can now continue in a straight line.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 1st, 2010, 9:14 pm

Returned from London and found my package from Tom with one of the Mahogany sets--beautiful, and quite mystifying. I shall report more when I've had time to fiddle with it.

By the way, does anyone have a really well made Devano Deck (with pins for the riser) that they'd be willing to part with?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 1st, 2010, 9:47 pm

Have just stolen a few moments to watch the DVD and play with this: I'm extremely pleased to have been able to purchase one. The method is simultaneously old-fashioned yet ahead of much current thinking on this subject. That's an odd paradox but the best way to describe it.

Rather than using an elastic loop and having no cover, as many now perform the effect, the houlette and glass sheets which cover the deck on both sides add a great deal of mystery that is absent when the deck is "nude."

Good job, Tom!

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » March 1st, 2010, 11:35 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Richard. I'm glad that you're finding the card rise unique and deceptive.

Cheers,

T. Baxter

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » March 2nd, 2010, 12:12 am

Richard,

According to Ron Bauer in his "Don Alan's Devano Card Rise," George Richback (www.richback.com) makes a good pin plate Devano deck. I don't own one but have been considering making a purchase. Anyone else have an opinion or knowledge about these?

JMD

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2010, 12:18 am

I bought several Richback decks from Denny Hanney years ago and none worked. The mechanisms were too tight and barely moved. I was so frustrated that I think they went in the trash.

Your link doesn't work, by the way.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » March 2nd, 2010, 10:09 am

It's "Richbark."

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » March 2nd, 2010, 11:04 am

John M. Dale wrote:Richard,

According to Ron Bauer in his "Don Alan's Devano Card Rise," George Richback (www.richback.com) makes a good pin plate Devano deck. I don't own one but have been considering making a purchase. Anyone else have an opinion or knowledge about these?

JMD

I think Don Wayne's Devano Card Rise deck is well-constructed and reliable--I think it's based on a John Braun design if memory serves.

However, I think card rises like the one discussed in this thread have a better chance of passing scrutiny with the general public as unfortunately, the Devano type mechanism has been exposed to the public quite a bit (although that can be overcome by presentation/audience management).

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 2nd, 2010, 11:47 am

I just saw two original decks made by Mitch Devano when I was with David Berglas last week. They work perfect 50 years after they were made. I can't see where there would be room for any improvment in the design.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » March 2nd, 2010, 12:22 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I bought several Richback decks from Denny Hanney years ago and none worked. The mechanisms were too tight and barely moved. I was so frustrated that I think they went in the trash.

Your link doesn't work, by the way.

Bill McFadden wrote:It's "Richbark."

Oops, maybe it's time to get my glasses checked. Thanx, Bill.

The correct link is: www.richbark.com

However, based on Richard's comments, "Caveat emptor."

JMD

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 2nd, 2010, 12:32 pm

First, kudos to TBaxter for getting a fine card rise item back into circulation.

I was pleased to find the link to the method description as it helped me to know that the item would not serve my purposes which require the action to occur tabled, covered and then in full view for the climax.

Getting back to my request for help from the IT type folks - any suggestions on how to get the IT into alignmentafter a sideways replacement without undue stress or figiting?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » March 2nd, 2010, 12:58 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:First, kudos to TBaxter for getting a fine card rise item back into circulation.

I was pleased to find the link to the method description as it helped me to know that the item would not serve my purposes which require the action to occur tabled, covered and then in full view for the climax.

I think you're misinformed here, Jon. With the Upton/Smith Rising Cards the performer is not limited by the things that you suggest.

T. Baxter

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » March 2nd, 2010, 9:34 pm

I received my package today and I am very happy with the quality of the prop and for me, the method is delightful. I usually prefer mechanical devices to electronic methods. This seems surefire. There is no thread to break, no batteries or circuits to worry about. It is a very well made prop and with a basic understanding of sleight of hand and how to routine, you get an impossible card rise with examinable props.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » March 3rd, 2010, 9:26 am

Are there any plans to produce more of these?

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » March 3rd, 2010, 10:32 am

No current plans, but perhaps down the road a bit I'll reconsider.

There's a waiting list. If you'd like me to add your name, send me an email (tombaxter@cogeco.ca) and include your mailing address.

Thanks for your interest!

T. Baxter

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » May 5th, 2010, 6:03 pm

To those who may be interested -- I've got two extra Upton/Smith Rising Cards (the ones discussed in this thread) made up in Teak Wood.

First come, first served.

You can contact me at: tom@thoughtcontrol.ca

cheers,

T. Baxter

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 5th, 2010, 6:14 pm

I love mine and Tom is selling this way too cheap. Get it while you can!

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » May 5th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Tom, I PM'd you.
Thanks, Joe

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » May 5th, 2010, 7:47 pm

All spoken for!

Thanks for the plug, Richard!

T. Baxter

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 5th, 2010, 9:03 pm

any place to see it demo'd?
Stay tooned.

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » May 5th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Nope.

T. Baxter

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » May 5th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Tom;
Nice to-the-point answer! Economy of words - efficient. I like that. Pete, if the rising cards is as efficient as Tom's response, it should be very good.
Jim

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 6th, 2010, 7:33 am

Jim, Pete
It gets thumbs up from all who use it.
Jon

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » June 24th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Because of a snafu with the USPS, one set that I mailed out has gone missing. Because of this I'll have to gear up to put together a replacement set for the buyer.

No point gearing up for one set, so I'm making another SMALL run of half a dozen sets of this Upton/Smith Rising Cards in a very nice Teak Wood, with hard-shell, locking carrying case, instructional DVD, etc.

First come, first served, for those who may be interested. Please contact me at: tombaxter@cogeco.ca

cheers,

T. Baxter

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 24th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Email sent. :)

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » June 24th, 2010, 1:45 pm

There are now just three sets unspoken for.

T. Baxter

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 24th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Damian, you'll be very pleased with it.

David Berglas happened to talk about this with me last time I was in London. He called it the "Sybil" rising card--this is the name by which everyone in England knows it. I have also seen it credited to Horace Goldin.

Does anyone have history on this?
Last edited by Richard Kaufman on June 24th, 2010, 2:45 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Oops: make that Will Goldston, Not Horace!

T Baxter

Postby T Baxter » June 24th, 2010, 2:08 pm

The original Upton Rising Cards (also known as the "Sybil" rising cards in the U.K.) was fashioned out of thin metal with metal "finger hooks" under the base of the houlette.

The Upton/Smith version that I make is a refinement of this. Along with other improvements, it is made attractively in wood, and made so that it will sit securely upright on a table for display.

T. Baxter

Smurf

Postby Smurf » June 24th, 2010, 2:33 pm

I'll take one. I've sent a PM also.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » June 24th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Here is some info from an old advertisement I saw while browsing through Ask Alexander:

"GOLDSTON'S Sybil Rising Cards.
(PATENT APPLIED FOR)
INVENTED BY ALBERT EDWARD PAGE
PERFORMED BY "HERMALIN" AT THE MAGICIANS' CLUB, Before an Audience of 200 Conjurers, On JUNE 24th, 1917.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”