Magicians who hate magicians!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
mrgoat

Re: Magicians who hate magicians!

Postby mrgoat » January 21st, 2010, 12:27 pm

Brandon Hall wrote:Mark,
This is all made obvious by the lack of time you spend with us.
;)

Oh snap.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 21st, 2010, 2:16 pm

I would have thought that it was perfectly obvious that the reason I spend so much time here is because I hate you all. The only way I can give vent to that hatred is to annoy as many of you as possible and so far I am doing a sterling job of it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2010, 5:15 pm

I've done a bit of cleaning up in this thread all references to Mr. Munton have been removed at his request.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » January 21st, 2010, 10:13 pm

I know Mr Munton and in fact am studying his magic marketing course at the moment. It seems pretty good although I have only read a few pages. I shall let you all know how I got on. I know nothing whatsoever about marketing. If it works for me it will work for anyone. Too early to tell yet though.

Ken Northridge

Postby Ken Northridge » February 1st, 2010, 6:43 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote:However just lately a friend has been trying to get me to shake off the habits of a lifetime and be nice to magicicians. His reasoning is purely a monetary one. He thinks such a course may be good for business. I am quite certain he is right but it is not easy to like people who are basically unlikeable. And moreover untalented.

I agree with your friend. Youd be great on the lecture circuit. You may even attract magicians who normally dont go to lectures because they hate magicians! Seriously, I wouldnt miss a Mark Lewis lecture.

RobertAllen

Postby RobertAllen » February 22nd, 2010, 11:04 pm

I've heard a couple other references to magicians who avoid the 'magic scene.' One was quoted decades ago in one of the vintage 50's or so Linking Ring mags in a column IIRC. The author of the column referenced the mage who's name I can't recall and quoted him as saying something approximately like "...Avoid magicians. They'll steal you blind of your routine." I believe the man being quoted may have been a mentalist.

Thinking back to my youth in magic in the '70's, I am quite certain that I was an obnoxious little magic brat, who probably stretched unlimited patience to the the breaking point many times. From what I've seen of amateurs since then, we haven't changed much. It's no different than a young actor wanting acting lessons from Russell Crowe.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 23rd, 2010, 10:35 am

Robert, it's not those who want to bring wonder to their audiences, as they can have about anything I know for the asking, but rather those who presume that knowledge of tricks or skills can somehow misdirect from a gross lack of respect for people or the art of magic that seem the problem - for me at least. The market ethos of gilded grave robbery and praise for pandering does not help matters IMHO though such is usually unconcealed and so can be avoided by those who find such things distasteful.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » February 23rd, 2010, 11:33 am

The people who irritate other magicians are just irritating people. If they were actors, they would irritate other actors, if they were musicians, they would irritate other musicians. Since they are magicians, they irritate other magicians, become officers for the local IBM rings and write columns in magic publications.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 24th, 2010, 2:58 am

Wise words from Walter. These people are [censored] in real life.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » February 24th, 2010, 9:30 am

I'm sure that Richard is likely to get similar emails with regards to people profiled in Genii, but I am nevertheless amazed at some of the vitriol that comes my way with regards to who I choose to interview for the Magic Newswire podcast at times.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » February 24th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Magic Newswire wrote:I'm sure that Richard is likely to get similar emails with regards to people profiled in Genii, but I am nevertheless amazed at some of the vitriol that comes my way with regards to who I choose to interview for the Magic Newswire podcast at times.

People get mad at you for interviewing magicians? Is it when you interview specific magicians like Blaine and Copperfield or any magician in general? I guess I never thought about it but it does seem bizarre to me.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » February 24th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Oh yeah. I get emails like:

"I can't believe that you wasted your time with So & So. He is such and ass and I knew his dad who was even more of an ass."

Or : Why are you wasting your time with interviews from X convention. None of the people there are in touch with magic today. If that is what people want to hear, I feel even worse about our "magic community"

Or: Why haven't you interviewed Mr Y? He's the greatest thinker in magic! I go to your site and I see stuff with Mr Z who is one of the creepiest magicians that I know of and he stole all of his material from Mr B anyway! Just ask the people that actually know him.

.... and on and on it goes.

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » February 25th, 2010, 12:16 am

Magic Newswire wrote:Oh yeah. I get emails like:

"I can't believe that you wasted your time with So & So. He is such and ass and I knew his dad who was even more of an ass."

Or : Why are you wasting your time with interviews from X convention. None of the people there are in touch with magic today. If that is what people want to hear, I feel even worse about our "magic community"

Or: Why haven't you interviewed Mr Y? He's the greatest thinker in magic! I go to your site and I see stuff with Mr Z who is one of the creepiest magicians that I know of and he stole all of his material from Mr B anyway! Just ask the people that actually know him.

.... and on and on it goes.

Wow. You must have the patience of Job. Well, I am certain there are plenty of magicians that appreciate the interviews you are conducting. Keep up the good work.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » February 25th, 2010, 12:29 am

Naw.. Fortunately, that is 1% of the email that I get. I just don't understand the hate. Disagree with someone, etc. That's cool. But that kind of email just amazes me. In any case, glad you enjoy the interviews. It's a lot of fun to do them and 99% of the feedback reads much more like yours. I really appreciate it.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » February 25th, 2010, 4:36 am

I have said this before but what Dodd is doing with these interviews will probably most likely only be truly valued in the fullness of time. If we only had this resource around in the days of yore imagine how appreciatitive we would be.

I cannot understate how important I feel these interviews are, not to mind how entertaining and informatitive they are in the present.

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » February 26th, 2010, 2:56 pm

I love hearing interviews with magi I might not have been exposed to otherwise. For example, I really enjoyed the Paul Vigil interview and I'm loving the Blackpool reports (is EVERYONE a Mentalist these days?!)
Oh, And I enjoyed hearing from you, Brendan...
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » February 26th, 2010, 11:37 pm

I think What Dodd is doing is a very good thing as well. There have been a few he has had on that have made me say "Ughh not him!" to Myself but I'm not about to fault Dodd for having them on. The ones I don't like are liked by others. We all have likes and dislikes.

As for the not liking other magicians. I think for the most part we are a very good group of people. Even tho I'm not a pro performing wise I have had My share of those that think just because they know the 21 card trick they are worthy of knowing the hows and whys of everything I perform. Some accept the polite declining of discussing the workings and accept a direction to look for it be it a book or a marketed item. Others sometimes you have to at some point tell them to shove off. It's unfortunate but it happens.

Return to “General”