Tom Mullica Update

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Meir Yedid

Tom Mullica Update

Postby Meir Yedid » February 19th, 2010, 12:46 am

The following news is being posted here with Tom Mullicas permission.

As many of you know Tom Mullica has been touring his Red Skelton Tribute show during the Branson off-season. On January 16th, during a show in Alliance, Nebraska Tom felt ill and almost passed out, he tried to finish the show while seated but could not. He was met backstage by emergency responders and was rushed to the hospital. After undergoing tests he was told to cancel the rest of the tour and meet with his personal physician.

While home there were more blood tests followed by a bone marrow biopsy which showed that more that 40% of Toms white blood cells were immature and that he has Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (blood and bone marrow cancer).

On February 17th he was admitted to the Cancer Ward of the Cox Medical Center where he will undergo high level chemotherapy for the next 30 days. He will then go home and continue with the chemotherapy with five days of treatment per month for four months. At the conclusion he will hopefully be much better but there is a chance that he will need a stem-cell
transplant.

He obviously had to cancel the rest of his tour and postpone his March opening in Branson. I am sure all of you will join me in wishing Tom and Stephen the best as they go through this very serious ordeal.

Meir

You may send cards to:

Tom Mullica Room #526
c/o Cox Medical Center South
3801 S. National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65807

luigimar

Re: Sad Tom Mullica News

Postby luigimar » February 19th, 2010, 12:49 am

We wish you well Tom!!

Hang in there!

luigimar
luigimar

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » February 19th, 2010, 10:13 am

Very sorry to hear this. I wish Tom all the best.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » February 19th, 2010, 11:00 am

Awfull news. Lets hope and prey for a good result soon.

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » February 19th, 2010, 11:57 am

How nice of you, Luigimar...I appreciate your concern.
Tom
luigimar wrote:We wish you well Tom!!

Hang in there!

luigimar

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » February 19th, 2010, 11:58 am

How nice of you ... thanks for your concern.
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » February 19th, 2010, 11:59 am

your best wishes arrived and I appreciate your concern.
Thanks
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » February 19th, 2010, 12:01 pm

Thanks, jim...I appreciate your well wishes. I hope to come through this OK and be back on stage by the end of the year!
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » February 19th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Dale...
How nice of you to post your well wishes for me...THANKS.
Tom

Sebastien L.

Postby Sebastien L. » February 19th, 2010, 12:05 pm

I remember that some of my first magic tapes were the old cigarette magic series from Tom. I had a blast with those, they were as entertaining as they were educational. I still have them at home even though I haven't had a VHS player in years.

Best wishes to you, and a speedy recovery.

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » February 19th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Sebastien...I have so many friends/fans...I'm a lucky guy. Thanks for the well wishes!
Tom

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » February 19th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Hoping nothing but the best for Tom. Really one of magic's best talents, and not to forget Red.

Tom

Roberto

Postby Roberto » February 19th, 2010, 12:40 pm

Tom,
You have certainly made a significant contribution towards humanity by injecting laughter and awe in the many people who have witnessed your performances. Now, it's time to heal and take care of yourself.

I remember seeing you for the first time at Mostly Magic in NYC back in the early 90's. That was one of the greatest magical performances I have ever seen. I remember that day clearly because I had just been laid off from work and was feeling really down. But as I watched your performance that evening it was as if I didn't have a worry in the world.

Tom, I wish you a speedy recovery and I know you will be back doing what you do best. You'll certainly be in our prayers.

Roberto

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 19th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Tom graciously performed at the "Top Hat Magic Convention sponsored by the Chicago SAM #3 Assembly back in the 1980's that was honoring his good friend Jim Ryan. He couldn't have been more gracious and entertaining. I cant express how pleased Jim was that Tom was able to be there. It made the whole convention for Jim, Kitty, Cathy and the attendees!

I was also fortunate enough to attend (with Jim Ryan) the FFFF where Tom Mullica was the guest of honor. (At that time it was still being held at the Forks.) It was a great weekend and the roast was just hysterical.

These 2 events are a couple of my fondest memories in my 40 years in magic.

Thanks for those wonderful memories Tom and all my best wishes!!.

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » February 19th, 2010, 3:34 pm

Tom...you sure know how to make a guy feel better...thanks for the kind words of support.
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » February 19th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Roberto...
I have fond memories from my magic friends and it's nice to know that people also have fond memories of me. Red Skelton told me once that laughter was a gift of the gods and it was a special talent to make people laugh when they need a lift and today you did that for me. THANKS my friend.
Tom

Tom Mullica

Postby Tom Mullica » February 19th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Tom...
I remember both of these events fondly. Jim Ryan was like a father to me and when I look back at my magicial, I had the BEST friends and teachers than anyone could wish for. How nice of you to remember these events with such emotion...when you get older ... your memories of the past are the most cherrished things you have in life next to your friends and loved ones. How nice of you to share and thanks for all the nice things said. Your friend,
Tom

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 19th, 2010, 4:42 pm

Tom: Just saw this thread. What the hell kind of "trick" is this? Please, please, get well soon. Don't do this to me, and to us! I'm with you in spirit, always, you know that. GET WELL, DAMMIT! I love you. HARRY.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 19th, 2010, 5:02 pm

Tom, hope to hear good news from you soon. Wish you were still doing magic! Hope the doctors will perform some magic on you.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

magicman1953

Postby magicman1953 » February 19th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Tom wishing for a full recovery for you I have always enjoyed your humor and your act. Though we have not met I feel we are in the same boat and wish you only the best.
Scott B.

Sean-Dylan

Postby Sean-Dylan » February 19th, 2010, 6:01 pm

One of my greatest memories in Magic is sitting with Tom and Harry Anderson on the floor of a hotel room drinking beer and chatting. This was at a Tannen's Jubilee in the early 90's

schindler

Postby schindler » February 19th, 2010, 6:51 pm

Tom

Hoping you are comfortabne and getting grreat treatment.

Best

George Schindler

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » February 19th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Tom -

We've only met a few times (at a Tannen's Jubilee, Hank Lee's Conclave, and at Ray Goulet's Magic Art Studio), and then, only briefly. However, I remember you half-jokingly asking Eric DeCamps and I to do close-up at the wedding. What a thrill to be asked. I was unfortunately, unable to attend. How I always wished I had the availability and clown nose ready - it became a legendary day I wish I had been part of.

At every turn, and each encounter, you have always been kind, gracious and generous to my friends and me, and I want to thank you. There has never been a time when we weren't laughing when you were around. Your lectures and performances always made me think, and smile. We had a few serious discussions on magic, yet hanging out at the convention parties, as each of the acts made asses of ourselves with bad jokes, songs, tricks and stunts, was always a treat.

Even though you have seemingly put magic on the back burner for a while, you are still one of magic's stand-out stars. I constantly share stories of your act with my students and friends, whenever discussing character, comedy and creativity.

Thanks for making us all smile.

Just know that you have a lot of support from your extended magic family, and I'm sure everyone is sending you good thoughts.

Warmest wishes to both you and Stephen during this difficult time.
- DO

Terry

Postby Terry » February 19th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Tom,

Having met and seen you perform numerous times, the funniest instance happened at an Atlanta SEAM convention.

You were in the close up show and they guy you selected to help you was a pip.

You had barely started a routine when you stopped, looked at the guy and said, "Let's do a knock knock joke."

He said, "Okay."

You told him to go ahead and start.

He said, "Knock knock"

You replied, "Who's there?"

He sat there dumbfounded as the audience roared.

You began your routine when he taps you on the arm and says, "Let's try that again."

You said alright, go ahead,

He said, "Knock knock"

You screamed, "WHO'S THERE?"

Again, he sat dumbfounded while the audience was in tears from laughter.

As much as you're loved as Red, you are missed more from the magic world and all the joy your magic has brought.

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » February 19th, 2010, 10:32 pm

Tom
You are a great performer and you will take a double encore here.

Everyone loves you.

Geno

Bryan Dreyfus

Postby Bryan Dreyfus » February 19th, 2010, 10:46 pm

Tom,

The first time I ever heard your name was when Ken Gruenwald told me about you when we would chat during slow times behind the bar. He used to tell me how your Mom would bring you off hours so he could work with you.

I have a small video of Ken doing a few effects at a friends house that we taped. I watch it every so often and it made me smile to see you put a photo of him in your companion book, "Night At The Improv."

I hope you get well very soon.

Bryan
Bryan

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » February 19th, 2010, 11:12 pm

Tom,

You are one of the most talented performers I have ever seen and I wish you a very speedy and full recovery. Get well soon and we shall see you back on the circuit !!

Sincerely,

Walt
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

luigimar

Postby luigimar » February 20th, 2010, 12:16 am

Hi Tom,
I have never seen you perform live and I saw you on one tape from the 80's (right now I don't remember which one) and what I remember is you performing an effect where you put lots of cigarettes in your mouth, you cover them with a napkin and then they seem to disappear! I don't smoke but if I did a cigarette effect it would be that one! What a great effect!

You are a fun person and I wish you the best. Get WELL!!!
luigimar

Richard Paddon

Postby Richard Paddon » February 20th, 2010, 12:19 am

Tom,

My wife (Robyn) & I still talk about meeting you and your lecture/performance when you visited Australia quite some years ago.

We both wish you well and send good thoughts from Australia.

Richard

Robert Toomer

Postby Robert Toomer » February 20th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Tom I saw you peform at a Ney York Magic symp, many yaers ago. I still remenber the joke about the proctolagist(sic) who gets $100.00 bucks a crack. Get well soon.
Robert TOOMER

jhmagic1

Postby jhmagic1 » February 20th, 2010, 6:52 pm

I first saw Tom on Stuff the White Rabbit in the UK. Since then Ive been a life long fan. All the best to Tom
http://www.magicpackagingdesign.co.uk
http://twitter.com/design4magic

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » February 20th, 2010, 8:45 pm

Hey Tom,
Speedy recovery! I first meet Tom at the Stevens taping years ago. Laughed my ass off! Then later at a small convention Tom Burgoon put on in KC. Tom was always so very kind. Then again at David Sandy's "Workshop" in St. Joe MO. Tom always told me "Your voice sounds just like Lance Burton's". LOL! Get well well very soon Tom! I LOVE my wallet! All my best and peace always.
Lee

David Stahl

Postby David Stahl » February 20th, 2010, 10:17 pm

Hi Tom,

I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

You have made me laugh for years, and I have always admired your work and enjoyed your company. You have always been one of my favorite entertainers.

I am hoping to make you laugh right now. Just think back to the night when my friend Del Ray began telling his story about his car breaking down in Youngstown Ohio. He was told his car would take several days to fix, so he rented the only vehicle he could find at the time, an old beat up pick-up truck "loaded with a mountain of coal". He did not want anyone there to know he was a magician, so he told the owner of the truck that he was a juggler.

I can still vividly see you "doubled over" from laughing so hard, as Del described the adventure of getting to the gig.

I remember him saying, a huge cloud of coal dust had engulfed the entire truck as it violently shook its way down the highway at 25 mph. Del said that when he finally arrived at the Ritzy Country Club, he parked the truck in the furthest corner, in hopes that no one would notice what vehicle was his. It was only when he got out of the truck that he noticed a thick trail of coal dust as far as the eye could see.

Del had all of us laughing so hard; I could barely catch my breath.

Just when we thought it could not get any funnier Del tells us, that upon returning the truck to the filling station, a small group of people had gathered and that were waiting for him. The owner of the truck had called some of his friends to come meet "The Famous Juggler" and then proceeded to ask Del to juggle some coal for his friends.

I am looking forward to sharing more laughs with you in the future.

Heres to good friends, great memories and to a speedy and complete recovery.

Your friend,

David Stahl

chipper

Postby chipper » February 21st, 2010, 2:59 am

I want to wish you a solid recovery, Tom. You're one of the best, and it's been a pleasure to see you perform over the years. Made a point to catch your Skelton show years ago, and it was truly 'dead on'. Really great and moving. And of course you were a pleasure to chat with after the show. : )

I wish you the VERY best!!! You're in our thoughts, and I sincerely hope our paths will cross again somewhere around the globe.

GET WELL!!! : )

Sincerely,

Chipper Lowell

Pepka

Postby Pepka » February 21st, 2010, 11:00 am

Tom-
I've only been fortunate enough to meet you one time. It was during your final magic lecture tour before you started the Red show full time. In fact, it was my very first magic lecture. Yeah, the bar was set very high. I feel so fortunate that I was able to see all your classics. Afterward, you and Stephen joined many of us for dinner at Applebee's and I remember you doing the Balducci levitation for our waitress and she cracked up.

We have something in common, as I too am going through chemotherapy. I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in September and am halfway through my 6 month regimen. As you know, it's certainly no picnic. However, I have found that the most important thing that gets me through it is the love and kindness of so many people. People from my office, and my apt. building constantly offering to take me to treatment, making me soup, dinner etc., and just coming to sit and visit with me. I have no doubt that you are receiving the same treatment from so many friends.

You have entertained thousands and thousands of people all over the world and we all wish the best for you and Stephen at this difficult time.

Sincerely,
David Pepka
Harrisburg, PA

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » February 22nd, 2010, 4:32 pm

As an Atlantan, I remember very fondly the many nights that I spent in Tom Foolery's Magic Bar in Buckhead. (That's an odd - almost downtown area of Atlanta). Because Tom Mullica was one of those guys whose performance had inspired my interest in magic over the years, I've been hoping to schedule a phone interview with him. Tom being Tom, he mentioned that he couldn't imagine that he had anything on the topic to discuss, but that he'd be happy to do so once our schedules meshed. Tom, I wish you all the best and assure you that you have more than you can imagine to offer to the magic community, no matter how long ago you stopped focusing on it in your performances. I still miss that lil hole in the wall in Buckhead.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » February 22nd, 2010, 4:41 pm

Tom, Im glad to see you here.

One of my prized souvenirs is my photo of you and that Rabbitt you had at the Tom Foolery in Buckhead. I think you signed all the pictures, "To My #1 Tom Foolery Fan!! - Tom Mullica" but it meant a lot to me then and it still does now. Every time I played in Atlanta I would be there at least one night. You always put me at the east end of the bar so I could see the action, and there was plenty of it. It always made me proud that I was from Georgia because of your being a magician in Atlanta.

I'll be looking forward to seeing you in Branson again soon.

-=tabby Crabb

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 22nd, 2010, 5:30 pm

Tom,

For me, there are two very different things where you are a part of my life. First, there are a few videos where I share the performance sections with friends and family: One is An Evening at the Tom Foolery. And I often revisit it alone when I need to see some good magic.

Second was a performance of your Tribute to Red Skelton in Sacramento. It was truly moving to me because it brought back a flood of wonderful memories. Red was an early idol of mine. My best friend Joe and I used to do Gertrude and Heathcliff our elementary school for the other kids. I can safely say that these were my first ever performances.

I thanked you then and I thank you again now. I look forward to seeing you perform it again soon!

Best,
Dustin

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » February 22nd, 2010, 10:35 pm

Tom,
From Abbott's to FFFF to the Battle of Magicians where you did the cigarette act one of the last times, you have always been part of the family from Colon.

You are in my prayers and keep your chin up (if it were might I might have two to keep up).

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » February 23rd, 2010, 1:38 am

Tom,
I have some of your tapes, and they always make me laugh. I finally got to see you in person last summer at Magic Live! performing with Johnny Thompson, and for me, it was the highlight of the convention.
I hope to see you later in Branson! Get well!
Sincerely,
Mark

Return to “General”