Castle Notebooks For Sale

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
PapaG

Castle Notebooks For Sale

Postby PapaG » February 6th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Silly Walter

Re: Castle Notebooks For Sale

Postby Silly Walter » February 6th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Wow! Of course I already have them. Lots of great stuff has been popping up on Ebay as of late.
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 8th, 2010, 2:27 am

Can you advise what number each volume is in the print run? Thanks.

magicam

Postby magicam » February 8th, 2010, 6:58 am

^^^ Why is the numbering important? Do you think it has any relationship to the order in which the sheets for the books were printed, or bound? (It doesn't.)

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » February 9th, 2010, 12:46 am

I think people want the complete set with matching numbers...
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 9th, 2010, 6:23 am

magicam wrote:^^^ Why is the numbering important? Do you think it has any relationship to the order in which the sheets for the books were printed, or bound? (It doesn't.)

Thanks for your "input". I have my reasons.

Sebastien L.

Postby Sebastien L. » February 9th, 2010, 11:52 am

magicam wrote:^^^ Why is the numbering important? Do you think it has any relationship to the order in which the sheets for the books were printed, or bound? (It doesn't.)

Why is your opinion important? Do you think it has any bearing on the buyer's request? (It doesn't.)

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 12th, 2010, 10:39 pm

3 days to go. He says he'll accept international bidders (auction appears to be in the UK). Should I pull the trigger? No news on the numbering.

Gary Kosnitzky
Favorite Magician: Vazhakunnam Neelakanthan Namboothiri

Postby Gary Kosnitzky » February 12th, 2010, 11:16 pm

I found out that if you have a Volume 1 numbered #1 and a Volume 2 numbered #2 and a volume 3 numbered #3 and a volume 4 numbered #4 and a volume 5 numbered either #5 or your birthday you own one of the more valuable sets. If the numbers on all 5 sets add up to 1963 that is also great. That is why the numbering is so important here.
That is my opinion.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 12th, 2010, 11:32 pm

This business with the numbering is crazy! Who cares about the numbers? Low, high, all the same ... what's the point?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 12th, 2010, 11:56 pm

When I did my little book on Milo & Roger, a publisher who I went to for some advice told me not to number them; that Id regret it (as he did). Did I listen? Naahhhh.

Oh man was he ever right!

Dustin

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » February 13th, 2010, 12:03 am

Why did you regret it, Dustin? Too much of a pain to deal with people who were particular about that number they got?

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 13th, 2010, 1:03 am

What does it matter to anyone else that I'm interested in the numbering?

????

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 13th, 2010, 2:16 am

Gordon Meyer wrote:Why did you regret it, Dustin? Too much of a pain to deal with people who were particular about that number they got?

I dont want to say people are a pain; the customer is king in my mind. But having to dig open boxes to get to a specific number that might be at the bottom is very time consuming especially at a booth. You dont want folks who dont care about numbers (of which there are more than not) walking away from your booth empty handed because they dont want to wait while youre digging through boxes for those who are particular.

Through the mail its not as big a deal, except in the case where a number is not available (and there are those who get upset when their number is gone). In that case there are emails that go back and forth working it out.

I didnt sell more books as a result of the number that was on them, but I know that I sold fewer as a result of not having a certain number available, which I think is a key point. While most of those who requested a specific number settled on an alternativefor example, if they wanted #50 but it was gone, they settled for #150some simply said, Oh well and that was that. Would they have bought an un-numbered edition? I have no way of knowing; I only know that they didnt buy one at all.

And just numbering them is a pain in a literal and time consuming sense as well.

Nathan, I have no problem with you caring about the number; Im a great believer in To each his own. Ive requested (if possible) a specific number in few cases. I was just noting what I was told by a well-known publisher and what I learned subsequent to not heeding his advice. If I ever have the opportunity to do it again, I wont be numbering the books.

Of course, Jay Marshall was famous for wantingand usually getting#69 of numbered editions. Who can argue with that?

Nathan Muir wrote:3 days to go. He says he'll accept international bidders (auction appears to be in the UK). Should I pull the trigger? No news on the numbering.

My advice to you on that is that which I got from a friend when I was agonizing over paying an enormous sum for a bound set of The Sphinx:

What is your goal?

If the answer is that you want the books, pull the trigger. I did and have zero regrets.

(And ask the seller what the shipping cost to your location will be and use that as an opportunity to slip in the number question as a by the way)

Good luck!
Dustin

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 13th, 2010, 2:41 am

Dustin, I can see how hunting for a certain number would be a pain if you had a bunch of boxes to go through!

I'm just curious about the numbers. I like to get a lower number when obtaining numbered copies (just a thing I have), but it won't stop me bidding if it's a lucky dip.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 13th, 2010, 11:36 am

Just for the info, I don't believe the books were mailed in numerical order. I didn't order my first copy until well after books were being received, and indeed not until Richard posted a positive review here on the forum. Nevertheless, my copy was number 34. I requested the same number for the remaining copies (for no reason!), but unfortunately on the third one I failed to click the Purchase button and my order didn't get placed in time. I definitely was out of the running for copy number 34, but was worried that I wouldn't receive the volume period. Not to worry -- printers often print extra copies, and that was the case for that volume. For copies that exceeded 500, they were numbered in Roman numerals. (Alas, I did not receive XXXIV.)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2010, 12:20 pm

The printer will not pack the books into boxes in order. The boxes are not marked on the outside as to what numbers they contain. All orders are filled with whatever number book happens to come out of the box next.

I know this because I've been publishing books far longer than L&L and this is what happens.

Generally, if you have your wits about you, you can instruct the publisher to make sure to isolate books 1 to 3 (or something like that) so you are assured of getting the lowest numbers yourself. Otherwise they go out randomly.

Putting matched sets together is an arduous task normally not worth the money, but with L&L taking in a gross of half a million dollars on this, I can see where they would take the extra trouble to match up people's sets.

Doc

Postby Doc » February 13th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Shipping to U.S. east coast destination per request - 125

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Doc, what does that mean?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » February 13th, 2010, 3:26 pm

To send to the East Coast, as was requested, is 125.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Damn: that's $196 in postage as of today!

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 13th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Well I'm assuming that's expedited by courier, insured. Five heavy books via FedEx or similar is going to do that.

Doc

Postby Doc » February 13th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Nathan Muir wrote:Well I'm assuming that's expedited by courier, insured. Five heavy books via FedEx or similar is going to do that.

Royal Mail Air standard.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » February 13th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Royal, indeed.

Doc

Postby Doc » February 13th, 2010, 5:22 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Doc, what does that mean?

I provided my ZIP and requested a quote on actual shipping costs to be added to the hammer price.

Addendum:
I just received a message from the seller in eBay mail. The corrected shipping price to my ZIP is now [color:#FF0000]75[/color]

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 13th, 2010, 6:06 pm

NCMarsh wrote:Royal, indeed.

Have you got any experience insured air expediting anything to the UK, Europe or Asia? I do. You get raped both ways. Shipping between states is always cheaper, but you might no know that if you've never had to send a large valuable package to the UK.

I note that the price for 100% Sankey expedited international via Kaufman & Co. is $30. That's a pretty slim book. What's that multiplied by five? As much as the Castle Notebooks, but less book for your buck (by weight).

Just saying, gentlemen.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2010, 6:16 pm

I charge exactly what it costs me to ship the book. Since surface mail was discontinued by the Post Office, there is no inexpensive way to ship things overseas. You have a choice of expensive and slightly-less-expensive.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 13th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I charge exactly what it costs me to ship the book. Since surface mail was discontinued by the Post Office, there is no inexpensive way to ship things overseas. You have a choice of expensive and slightly-less-expensive.

100% Sankey could be sent via the US Post Office worldwide for just $13.50 in a priority flat rate envelope ($11.50 to Mexico and Canada).

Doc

Postby Doc » February 13th, 2010, 7:17 pm

Nathan Muir wrote:

Have you got any experience insured air expediting anything to the UK, Europe or Asia? I do. You get raped both ways. Shipping between states is always cheaper, but you might no know that if you've never had to send a large valuable package to the UK.

I note that the price for 100% Sankey expedited international via Kaufman & Co. is $30. That's a pretty slim book. What's that multiplied by five? As much as the Castle Notebooks, but less book for your buck (by weight).

Just saying, gentlemen.

I shipped an eleven volume set of Dr. Albo's Classic Magic series to Dublin in January by USPS Priority International Mail.
Gross shipping weight - 55 lbs. Cost to customer - $183.07 USD.

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 13th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I charge exactly what it costs me to ship the book. Since surface mail was discontinued by the Post Office, there is no inexpensive way to ship things overseas. You have a choice of expensive and slightly-less-expensive.

And I have no problem with that. I just don't think it's fair to pick at a guy using a premium service if others are allowed to do it. The way it adds up, your service is on par with his service in terms of cost.

Peace.

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » February 13th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Doc wrote:
Nathan Muir wrote:

Just saying, gentlemen.

I shipped an eleven volume set of Dr. Albo's Classic Magic series to Dublin in January by USPS Priority International Mail.
Gross shipping weight - 55 lbs. Cost to customer - $183.07 USD.

Thanks for proving my point, Max.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Thanks Mr. Hatch, but since we've had this discussion before you know that the fulfillment facility I use does not offer this option.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 13th, 2010, 10:29 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Thanks Mr. Hatch, but since we've had this discussion before you know that the fulfillment facility I use does not offer this option.

So why blame your fulfillment facility's shipping policy on the US Postal service elimination of the surface mail option? I'd don't see the connection...
I personally miss the MBag surface option (70 cents a pound!), but the flat rate options are not a bad option for those of us who can't afford a fulfillment service...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 13th, 2010, 11:29 pm

I have many many thousands of books located in the warehouse which does my fulfillment. No economical way to move everything to another place.

You can certainly afford a fulfillment service. They exist so you don't have to spend your time packing product. If that's what you think your time is worth, that's your business. I have other things to do!

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 14th, 2010, 12:51 am

I sold a set of castle Notebooks and it cost almost $70 to ship to the Netherlands. And the post office will not insure more than $600 when it's an international package!
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 14th, 2010, 12:53 am

Question, RK: How would a fulfillment service work when most who order single copies of a book want the book autographed?

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 14th, 2010, 6:21 am

If you live in the UK, check out Parcel2go.com. Send FedEx, DHL etc. at substantially reduced prices.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » February 15th, 2010, 3:55 pm

PapaG

Postby PapaG » February 16th, 2010, 7:31 am

And just to reiterate because the eBay auction is unclear, I will ship internationally. Contact via eBay for details.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » February 16th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Less than an hour left.

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”