Roundup of Anticipated Books

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Re: Roundup of Anticipated Books

Postby Guest » September 8th, 2007, 7:44 am

Having had a peek at Jim's work on Leipzig, this is one book I'm looking forward to studying. Leipzig was a huge success in his time and he influenced a number of quality performers, not the least being Roy Benson. Jim's book will be a fine contribution to the literature of our odd little art form.

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2007, 6:05 am

David, speaking of nagging, how about nagging our friend James Hamilton to finally getting his book(s) about the Hermann legacy published.

Charlie

Postby Guest » September 9th, 2007, 9:23 am

Yes, and then there's Diego Domingo's marvelous research on the mentalists and crystal gazers of years gone by.

The problem is, without a set publication date, research in and of itself becomes the goal. There is always....and I mean ALWAYS another anecdote to learn, fact to uncover, insight into the subject to develop.

It was once said that a good biography takes a minimum of two years to write and research. With most amateur writer/researchers having other jobs, that estimate can be expanded by several orders of magnitude.

At some point the author must simply stop and understand that he or she has "enough," even when they know there is more to discover and learn.

That's a hard place to get to.

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2007, 12:09 am

Baltazar Fuentes is working on a book about his magic and how to study magic. He should be finished with it early 2008.

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2007, 3:20 pm

When I met Henry Christ in 1970, he told me that he spent lots of time with Leipzig and knew EVERYTHING (every detail) about his act. I assume that he took notes.
The question is: Where are THESE notes?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 10th, 2007, 3:53 pm

Probably with the rest of Henry Christ's notes: in the hands of PD.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » September 10th, 2007, 3:59 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Probably with the rest of Henry Christ's notes: in the hands of PD.
That's my understanding as well. Christ knew all the details of Leipzig's act, down to lighting and music cues.

-Jim

Postby Guest » November 9th, 2007, 6:25 pm

I'am really looking forward to the Complete Works of Geoff Latta book.

Alan Bursky

Postby Alan Bursky » November 10th, 2007, 8:39 am

J.I. Swiss is finishing Johnny Thompson book.

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2007, 11:57 am

Great news if there is to be a 'Complete Walton' volume 3 - what would be even better would be a 'Complete Complete Walton' which also brought in vols 1 and 2, with the illustrations made clearer. Looking forward to volume 3 either way

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2007, 8:30 pm

What are books??? Boy, if only half of them come out it will be a great bounty.....

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Does anyone know what happened with the updated version of Martin Gardner's Encylcopedia of Impromptu Magic that was going to be released this year by The Miracle Factory?

Postby Guest » December 18th, 2007, 10:06 pm

Coming SOON:

Andi Gladwin's book on Jack Parker's Magic: "52 Memories."

I've seen it. It looks lovely. Jack showed me most of the stuff over the years...great stuff!

Paul Gordon

Also , my CARDISTRY & CARD COLLECTIVE (I hope it's okay to plug them; seeing as I've placed a full-page ad in Jan issue of Genii) - the latter with 'Foreword' by Aldo Colombini.

Postby Guest » December 24th, 2007, 2:40 pm

Just got an email from Todd Karr saying he expects to release the revised and enlarged version of Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic in spring 2008

Mallakite

Postby Mallakite » March 14th, 2008, 6:39 pm

I'am really looking forward to the new Japanese Magic book from Kaufman and Co, any news on an estimated release date for this book Mr Kaufman?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 14th, 2008, 7:32 pm

I've just received some new material from Tomo Maeda and Yuji Wada for the Japanese book, so that will have to get written and illustrated.

magicbar

Postby magicbar » March 23rd, 2008, 3:28 pm

I am writing a book containing material that had only been released up until now on video and DVD. It will contain about a million pages and go for about $18,000.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 9th, 2009, 2:57 pm

I thought I'd resurrect and update this thread of highly anticipated books.

Some previously anticipated items from this thread published in the intervening span (ah, closure!):

David Ben, Zarrow (pub. Meir Yedid)
Dai Vernon, Revelation (pub. Caveney)
Peter Duffie, The Magic of Frank Robinson (pub. Breese)
S. Minch, Ken Krenzel's Relaxed Impossibilities (Hermetic Press)
Tamariz, The Five Points of Magic (Hermetic Press reprint)
The Magic of Ascanio vols 3 & 4 (pub. Paginas)

Some newer anticipated books to add:

Jim Steinmeyer: Thurston biography
Richard Kaufman: David Berglas' card magic
Bascom Jones: MAGICK (sort-of-reprints, now vols 1-5, imminent)

1) Do we know updated status on any books previously mentioned in the thread?
2) What other books are folks eagerly awaiting?

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 9th, 2009, 3:12 pm

I'm looking forward to the next Patrick Culliton book on Houdini. It should be another winner.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » December 9th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Still no word on the updated Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic that I paid Miracle Factory for almost 3 years ago.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2009, 4:25 pm

You can always ask for you money back.

My new book Knack Magic Tricks is about to come out: Got my advance copies today!
You can order yours, signed, from the Genii office. :)

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » December 9th, 2009, 4:55 pm

The team at vanishingincmagic.com are working on a compilation of ALL of Jay Sankey's published magic. There will be some great stuff buried in there...

I have heard also that David Harkey has a new book - but it is waiting to be published (it is impossible to say when this may happen). I know some people have negative opinions of his work, but just alot of us think he has some great ideas, and has a wonderfully creative take on magic. Personally - I think it is sad that he has been silent over the past decade.

Also - I read that Peter Duffie had a chance to look over the notes for the unpublished Henry Christ book. He reported that the book would have real historical interest and would have been sensational stuff in it's day. However - in the intervening decades it is unlikely that the same material will seem as ground-breaking today. So - I guess we shouldn't be thinking that it would still be the 'Holy Grail' today. A similar thing happened with the CASTLE NOTEBOOKS. They are great books - but reading them today makes them seem less strong than if the material had been released soon after being recorded. Such is progress...

Joe

PS It seems less doubtful (from what I have heard) that a third volume of The Complete Walton will see print. There is enough material for it - but I am not sure if Roy wants to sit down and actually do it.

Personally - I still hope that a JAMES FILE style book will one day be put together compiling the remainder of Roy's magazine contributions and some unpublished stuff as well. His work deserves it...

PPS I am really excited about the collected MAGICANA compilation. Any news on that???

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Why wait for a book of Jay Sankey's "complete works": You can buy his best two books, which contain his most imaginative and innovative tricks, from me right now and get a third book free!

http://geniimagazine.com/kaufman/booksandtapes.html

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » December 9th, 2009, 7:01 pm

I already have them. Great stuff!

To be honest - I have run out of 'Kaufman and Company' stuff to buy. But - I will be first in line when you next publish a book!

Joe

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2009, 7:03 pm

First DeLand, then Berglas. Get your credit card ready. :)

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » December 9th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Is the MAGICANA book making progress? Or is now the wrong time to publish it?

Also - maybe I am naive, but it seems to me like it shouldn't take too long to compile all the MAGICANA columns and issue them as a book. I mean a few hundred photocopies, some glue and a couple of covers. Right? :)

Joe

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2009, 8:56 pm

The Magicana project is several times larger than The Vernon Touch book. Lots of errors to correct, illustrations and/or photos from different artists for the tricks. The whole thing is rather a mess at the moment and will take a good hundred hours to sort out at least.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 9th, 2009, 10:49 pm

Several times larger than The Vernon Touch?

Richard, can you clarify: What exactly is the scope of the Magicana book project?

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » December 10th, 2009, 12:27 am

Paul Hallas is doing (done?) vol 2 of his SMALL BUT DEADLY "packet tricks" book. And, I (Natzler Enterprises) have a couple of exciting projects in the pipeline. Best not give the detail or I'll be accused of advertising! Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » December 10th, 2009, 1:28 am

Paul Gordon wrote:Paul Hallas is doing (done?) vol 2 of his SMALL BUT DEADLY "packet tricks" book. And, I (Natzler Enterprises) have a couple of exciting projects in the pipeline. Best not give the detail or I'll be accused of advertising! Paul Gordon

Paul, you should consider a biography (memoir?) on Harry Lorayne. Since you know him well, is this something you've considered/thought about/raised with Harry?

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » December 10th, 2009, 2:24 am

Dear Nathan,

I've asked Harry if he'd do an autobiography! I've also asked him if he'd consider writing a book on/in the style of Ortiz's Strong Magic. I think Harry's advice/thoughts/opinions/ideas/stories would be much better and more valid (no offence Darwin) ...IMHO. Harry's been there and back; big time!

Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 10th, 2009, 8:59 am

Talking about autobiographies I must remind you all that the greatest book of all will be coming out soon. It is not an autobiography but a memoir. Not that I know what the difference is. Someone may be good enough to tell me.

There is no need for me to tell you who the book is about. I shall merely say that he is the greatest card magician of all time, the most wondrous children's entertainer in history, the most fantastic hypnotist of them all, an internationally known psychic, master of the svengali deck and much, much more. He does not wish me to mention his name here on the grounds of his extreme humility and retiring nature.

He will have the book ready within a few months. He realises now that he has to beat Harry Lorayne to the punch since that book will be strong competition providing Harry writes it himself. Harry is far more famous but he has one disadvantage in the race. He hasn't yet written the book mentioned and my anonymous author has. So he will have a head start.

And he still thinks that using the pass in "Out of my Control" is better. So there.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » December 10th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Mark.Lewis wrote: It is not an autobiography but a memoir. Not that I know what the difference is. Someone may be good enough to tell me.

I've always heard that an autobiography is about your entire life (up to the point you wrote it) and a memoir is only about a very specific time in your life.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 10th, 2009, 1:28 pm

In that case I am not sure what the hell I have written. I have described my entire life but have left out a ton of information.
My gut feeling is that is a memoir.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » December 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm

I'd lean towards calling it an autobiography then (no biography can include everything). You can always write multiple biographies (like John Scarne :-)
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 10th, 2009, 6:22 pm

Any subsequent biographies will be dark and miserable. Most of my present book with the exception of two chapers are quite light hearted and roguish.

I spent days editing half the book and the whole bloody lot disappeared into cyberspace never to be seen again. I do not like this modern world one bit. In future everything is going to be written in longhand. If it was good enough for Charles Dickens it is good enough for me.

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » December 10th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Paul Gordon wrote:Dear Nathan,

I've asked Harry if he'd do an autobiography! I've also asked him if he'd consider writing a book on/in the style of Ortiz's Strong Magic. I think Harry's advice/thoughts/opinions/ideas/stories would be much better and more valid (no offence Darwin) ...IMHO. Harry's been there and back; big time!

Paul Gordon

Good idea. But if he decides he doesn't have time, I would suggest you would be the best person the ghost write it.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » December 11th, 2009, 7:07 am

Under no circumstances should anyone else write Harry's book except himself. And if Paul Gordon writes it I certainly won't buy it. Besides I bet Harry will love writing about himself.

Jason Baney

Postby Jason Baney » December 11th, 2009, 5:05 pm

The Gaetan Bloom books are indeed a 2 volume set, each around 200-300 pages with James Hodges doing the illustrating! All I can say is if you don't get this set then you are very foolish.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » December 11th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Do you know when the Bloom books will be ready? They are taking forever!

Joe

Return to “Buzz”