Roberto Giobbi Card College DVDs Shipping this Week!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Roberto Giobbi Card College DVDs Shipping this Week!

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 30th, 2009, 12:51 pm

Just heard from Jim Steinnmeyer that the Roberto Giobbi Card College Set (Vols.1 and 2 on four DVDs) will begin shipping late this week.

You can still take advantage of the pre-pub special of only $99 including free shipping here:

http://www.hahnemagic.com/roberto_giobbi.html

Great holiday gift!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MJ Emigh

Re: Roberto Giobbi Card College DVDs Shipping this Week!

Postby MJ Emigh » December 7th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Guys-

I haven't seen any comments yet. I've only had a chance to watch the first half-hour or so, and it seems very, very good. There are little touches that are well worth study.

I'm not a card guy. Still, I am quite impressed by his teaching. I've learned a lott already.

It seems like the issue for most will be holding off. There is so much to see and so much to learn. I beat my pause button to near death in just these few minutes. Gotta take it slow. Maybe that's why so many magi prefer books. I like books too, but video can be a wonderful thing.

Anyway, just wondering what others think.

-MJ

MJ Emigh

Postby MJ Emigh » December 7th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Oh, one more thing.....

no, two more things...

Of course, I meant "lot" and not "lott." The other thing is the packaging of the Card College DVD set. Looks great, but it's totally useless. Not one single disc was attached to it's holding device by the time it got to me. The result is scratching, but it does not effect play.

After a lot of looking, I figured out how the discs were supposed to be attached. That's about when I noticed the broken bits of plastic that were meant to hold things in place. Sheeeeesh.

So, my discs have been moved into individual jewel cases. Just like those Beatles remasters. Also cool packaging that is 100% useless.

Well, the content is what counts, I guess. And this is good content. Just like the Beatles set.

-MJ

Jager

Postby Jager » December 8th, 2009, 12:50 pm

[quote=MJ Emigh Not one single disc was attached to it's holding device by the time it got to me. The result is scratching, but it does not effect play.

After a lot of looking, I figured out how the discs were supposed to be attached. That's about when I noticed the broken bits of plastic that were meant to hold things in place. Sheeeeesh.
[/quote]

I had the same exact problem with Osterlind's 13 Steps DVD set. The DVDs were all all over the place when I received the box.
Kelly Smith
Jager

flynn

Postby flynn » December 8th, 2009, 5:04 pm

L&L uses cheap packaging for their dvd sets. The disc holder snap things broke off of my Pottasy set after removing and replacing the discs a few times.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 8th, 2009, 8:42 pm

If you go on amazon.com and look at the descriptions of any of the multi-DVD sets, that there is a note about how discs can become loose during shipping, but it will rarely affect the ability of the discs to play normally. If you receive discs that don't play, you can always return them for an exchange.

I assume this is true of any magic dealer from whom you buy a DVD set as well.

MJ Emigh

Postby MJ Emigh » December 8th, 2009, 11:35 pm

Yes, the silly packaging results in a lot of scuffing and scratching, but the playback is fine. I'm just not sure why these folks keep trying to be clever with the packaging. It never works out well.

Flynn, you know that this isn't an L&L release, right? Personally, I've never had a problem with an L&L product. Maybe I'm just lucky.

So, I'm still asking what people think of the content of this set. I think it's exceptional. It's got me interested in the subject (unlike either Royal Road DVD set), primarily due to Giobbi, himself. This has got to be one of the greatest teachers of magic ever.

The only thing I can compare the teaching to would be the early Harry Lorryne (spelling?) books. The attention to detail is fantastic!

I know that most of you guys are card guys, so this material may be old hat to you. I've tried for nearly 40 years to learn some non-gaffed card magic and I got fed up every time. I have a feeling that it will be different this time.

I have the first Card College book, as well as the first CC Light book. I had problems following along with that first book. With this DVD set, things are visually much clearer. I can go back to the book with more confidence after seeing this.

Is the lack of commment because you guys didn't buy it, or because you don't want others to know what a treasure-trove it is? Or are you busy practicing? Just wondering......and wandering.

-MJ

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 8th, 2009, 11:59 pm

With respect, it's spelled Lorayne (Just thought I'd jump in there before Harry does! :grin: )

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2009, 12:00 am

The packaging is not silly. It's actually better and should be more secure than the less expensive packaging (spindle-hold only) that major film studios use on multi-disc DVD sets. Yours obviously got stomped on in the mail. Don't blame the packaging for the idiocy of the post office.

hgebeaux

Postby hgebeaux » December 9th, 2009, 7:52 am

You do love to blame the post office for most everything, Richard. But I got my Giobbi package fine and quick, yet I'm still waiting for the latest issue of Genii. Hmmmm.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2009, 10:36 am

"Hmmmm ... " what?
I blame the post office for its own repeated failings.

Are you accusing me of not sending out your particular copy of the December issue of Genii in early November just like everyone else? If not, then what are you saying?

MJ Emigh

Postby MJ Emigh » December 9th, 2009, 5:50 pm

The USPS does tend to have destruction in mind, but in this case, the packaging and packing just wasn't well thought-out. The packaging probably seemed clever to a number of people at the time, but other considerations should be made.

Most individuals who use the Post Office for a lot of package mailing (I'm one of those) really think about potential damage when packing orders. Larger outfits and employees of fulfillment companies generally aren't that concerned, it seems. Business owners as opposed to employees, you know?

In this case, however, it seems that we are not dealing with an everyday, ordinary reseller. This is the product manufacturer (or, at least, the product creator). Someone just wasn't thinking straight when considering what could go wrong.

One of the big things that can go wrong is the USPS lack of respect. If the people who created this set really thought that this packaging was clever (sorry, but I still consider it silly and useless), well, that's great. Creativity is a wonderful thing. But, if our postal system is going to be involved, they should have considered the actual packing of the item (not just the product packaging).

By item, I mean "the thing" that gets packed for shipment. In this case, a simple mailing envelope is obviously not sufficient.

I'm not all that bothered by the broken bits of the DVD case. As mentioned, I've put them into individual cases. I would have done that anyway. There are those who will be upset, though. Or, perhaps mine is the only one that will ever arrive in the customer's mailbox in this condition. Too early to tell, I guess.

It just seems to me that if you have a product that you are proud of, you should protect it. Our Post Office isn't going to protect it, so you just have to take the extra steps yourself. Maybe bubble wrap, maybe a Uline box....I don't know. Just something to get it safely to the customer.

Anyway, I think the content of these discs is fantastic. It's worth far more than the asking price. Just dumb packaging and packing.

-MJ

flynn

Postby flynn » December 9th, 2009, 6:13 pm

MJ yes I am aware that Giobbi dvd's aren't from L&L. I was commenting on Jager's post about the packaging problems Jager had with his Osterlind dvd's.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 10th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Agree with MJ here. (Although the packaging certainly is a small thing in the grand scheme and it in no way reflects on the material, details do matter).

Secure cases need not be expensive--just well designed. The Disney multiple disc cases come to mind. Even some of the early DVD cases with an indentation to insert the DVD are very secure.

I have had magic DVDs get scratched so bad in transit, they would not play. I realize most dealers have a solid return policy, but it's a waste of time/resources to ship in unreliable cases unless DVD's getting damaged is a rare event.

(It's like receiving a book with a torn dustjacket, dented corners, or overadherent price stickers. Does it affect the value of the material?--no, but it is nice to receive an undamaged product when buying new.)

All that said, can't wait to begin studying these! No more posts from me about packaging :)

JackSparrow

Postby JackSparrow » December 11th, 2009, 9:53 am

hi im new on here is there a new version updated or recent 1 to this thread i saw something but cant find it now?

i myself am a visual person a dvd is definitely a preference over readn, readn puts me to sleep its just my opinion from someone that is visual i learn way faster. i did read someone say the dvds r not a replacement just compliment the 5 vol. bks. so i dont know yet i really only wanted the bks coz i got darwin ortiz 10 dvd set n someone told me i might need to be strong on basics to advance in ortiz stuff. but i guess i will just hv to see.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 11th, 2009, 10:32 am

Welcome JackSparrow. On the Genii Forum we write in plain old English, so that means using the caps key for words at the beginning of your sentences, and writing words out in full. Makes your posts easier to read and it's more likely someone will respond.

MJ Emigh

Postby MJ Emigh » December 12th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Isn't that "olde" Engish? In any case, text language of ANY language is very disturbing to me. Richard, we obviously disagree on a few things, we but agree on a whole lot more things. This is a big one.

My kids are doing that text message thing. Drives me nuts, because they think it's right. They have both written "words" like U on school essays!

Is it really that difficult to write in an intellegent fashion? I may make a few typos along the way, but at least it makes sense. I hope so, anyway.

Every generation rejects certain norms of the previous generation. They should. Certainly mine did, and with good reason. That sort of revolt is good.

But, wow, man.... mess with my groovy language, dude? Like, wow, man.

-MJ

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 12th, 2009, 8:01 pm

The use of abbreviations like "ur" for "you are" is due to people texting and trying to type on tiny keyboards with their thumbs (you're all going to get arthritis from that, by the way). Because spelling out whole words is difficult and time consuming, folks tend to abbreviate. Learning when it is appropriate to use that kind of shorthand has become problematic.

Of course, then there are people who just think it's cool to write like they're illiterate.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » December 12th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The use of abbreviations like "ur" for "you are" is due to people texting and trying to type on tiny keyboards with their thumbs (you're all going to get arthritis from that, by the way).

That started way before texting became commonplace (or even existed). The first text message is believed to have been sent in 1989. However, the types of abbreviations you refer to started with an early form of instant messaging, and can be traced back to the late 70's/early 80's.

But yeah...time & place and all that...

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Dave Klaiber
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Dave Klaiber » December 13th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Actually those type of abbreviations started well before the 70's.
They began in 1845 and for a good reason THEN....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code_abbreviations

Dave

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 13th, 2009, 5:19 pm

You learn something new every day.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 14th, 2009, 4:00 am

In the common era (the last 15 years or so) text speak came about because the first SMS messages were limited to 160 characters, so shorthand became necessary for longer messages. These days the software that handles SMS is able to stitch multiple messages together, so in theory the abbreviations have become redundant.

Tk cr, I.

MJ Emigh

Postby MJ Emigh » December 14th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Wow....I bet I knew that Morse thing at one time and have since completely forgotten about it. That's CUZ UR reminding me what an OM I am.

-MJ

Return to “Buzz”