Cost of Erdnase when it first came out?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jamie D. Grant

Cost of Erdnase when it first came out?

Postby Jamie D. Grant » December 3rd, 2009, 3:05 am

Hiya!

Quick question:

How much did Expert at the Card Table cost when it first came out in 1902?

Thanks!

jamie

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Cost of Erdnase when it first came out?

Postby Joe Pecore » December 3rd, 2009, 4:54 am

I believe it was $2.00 but then quickly went down to $1.00 in 1903 (check the ads in Sphinx).
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » December 3rd, 2009, 10:09 am

Joe is correct: The title page of the first edition states: "PRICE: $2.00" just above the bottom line ("PUBLISHED BY THE AUTHOR"). That is also the price stated in the first known advertisement, in the November 1902 SPHINX. The second known ad, in the February 1903 SPHINX, offers the book for just $1 and first edition copies were available at that price from magic dealers till about 1911 (competing by then with Drake hardback and paperback reprints at 50 cents and 25 cents respectively).
The company that first offered the book at $1 and seems to have been supplying copies at that price to the trade (though this is speculation) was the Atlas Novelty Company located at 295 Austin Ave in Chicago, just a few blocks north of the home of E. S. Andrews (also on Austin Ave), travelling agent with the Chicago and Northwestern Rail Road, who transferred that month to San Francisco. Coincidence? Quite possibly, but one of many if so...

Jamie D. Grant

Postby Jamie D. Grant » December 3rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

Thanks guys!

Is there somewhere where I could see those two ads, Richard? I don't think I have the Sphinxs (is that the plural of Sphinx?)around here...

Btw, it was awesome meeting you!

~jamie

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » December 3rd, 2009, 6:49 pm

Both ads are reproduced in Whaley's THE MAN WHO WAS ERDNASE, which is not too hard to track down, though getting harder (though I suspect it may still be available from the publisher). I can send you pdfs of the original magazine pages if you like, best to email me privately in that case. The book itself came off the presses in early March 1902, based on the copyright office records.
(Love your bottle!)

John Bodine

Postby John Bodine » December 4th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Perhaps worth noting is the fact that this first advertisement cost the submitter $4 and was apparently available through Vernelo & Company 282 Michigan (Hilliar) as no contact information was provided for reaching the author.

The second ad, half the size of the first at 1/8 of a page contained new copy and was placed by the Atlas Novelty company, 295 Austin Ave, Chicago. This ad incorrectly has the page count at 204 pages.

And finally, just for fun, the inflation adjusted price for the book would be about $50 today, well below the current market price for a first edition. :)

-johnbodine

Return to “General”