One man's response to piracy...

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Eric Rose

One man's response to piracy...

Postby Eric Rose » November 11th, 2005, 11:35 am

Just wanted to post a link here to an ebay auction I came across. The seller makes a big deal about "See the movie" clip. Well, I did, and found out that it was an unauthorized link to my buddy Ed's copyrighted demos on www.Funtymemagic.com

Ed jumped into action right away and re-edited the video to warn ebay buyers. Take a look - the video link is about halfway down on the right side:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:EF:US:1

Re: One man's response to piracy...

Postby Guest » November 11th, 2005, 1:12 pm

That is brilliant. I haven't laughed so hard in weeks. Great job, Ed!!! I wonder how long before the idiot notices the new video.

Thanks,

Mark

Wolfgang

Postby Wolfgang » November 11th, 2005, 3:25 pm

Please report this to ebay. Ebay needs to do something about that........I really like what you have done but make sure ebay knows what this seller is pulling.

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 12th, 2005, 9:11 am

I think this is funny, but I would have to act as devils advocate in this case.

This link is a direct link to the original source, the user did not download the video and place it on a new webspace and claim it was his. How is this any any different than any of us who place a link to any other webpage. Now, he does have his own magic ebay store, so maybe it is inappropriate to redirect in such a way, but I don't know if it falls as breaking copyright.

I still think it is awsome that he edited the video, of course that is what happens when you link to something you have no control over.

I see on the website, his video is not edited, so now he has two videos one for his site and one for the 4 day ebay auction, if he is really bothered by the stealing of bandwith why not just get rid of the video. I am sure it was not meant intentionally, and if you contacted the guy he may appologize and learn to ask first.

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2005, 9:40 am

He isn't violating copyright law by linking to the video. He is doing nothing illegal. But he IS "stealing" bandwidth for the video, and using it to advertise his auction.

Still there is nothing illegal about it, but it certainly isn't very professional.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 12th, 2005, 10:51 am

Originally posted by Wayno:
He isn't violating copyright law by linking to the video. He is doing nothing illegal. But he IS "stealing" bandwidth for the video, and using it to advertise his auction.

Still there is nothing illegal about it, but it certainly isn't very professional.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
My point exactly

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » November 12th, 2005, 10:58 am

"Stealing Bandwidth"?

I'm not clear on what is supposed to be happening here. Is the seller making knockoffs and selling them on eBay, or is he retailing a marketed product or simply selling his own used item?

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 12th, 2005, 12:34 pm

Seems that he is selling a product on ebay legally, but put a link to another guys video demo of the trick. Stolen Bandwith is a reference to people who are viewing his Ebay add are connecting to the server of the other guy which takes away resources from the server the video is located on. Some people are limited to the amount of traffic on there server, it also slows down connection to the server for other customers to view.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » November 12th, 2005, 1:38 pm

Originally posted by Scott Fridinger:
Seems that he is selling a product on ebay legally, but put a link to another guys video demo of the trick. Stolen Bandwith is a reference to people who are viewing his Ebay add are connecting to the server of the other guy which takes away resources from the server the video is located on. Some people are limited to the amount of traffic on there server, it also slows down connection to the server for other customers to view.
Anything that can be accessed on the Internet by simply clicking a link is, by default, a publicly viewable resource that can be referenced from within someone else's web page. That's the very premise on which the Worldwide Web is built. This is also why companies taking other companies (or people) to court for "deep linking" walk out with a handful of nothing.

What the eBay seller did was not bandwidth stealing in the sense that it's generally used. (That would be displaying an image on the eBay auction that's actually hosted on Ed's site.) What the guy did was link to a video on another web site.

Not that I think what the eBay seller did was polite (he should have asked Ed for permission, or been a bit more thoughtful about how his actions might impact Ed), but if Ed -- or anyone else with images or video available on the Internet this way -- wants to avoid a situation like this, they need to configure their web server to serve up content only from within their own web site.

John
The Heinrich Gbel Factor.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 12th, 2005, 2:48 pm

Originally posted by John W. LeBlanc:
...What the eBay seller did was not bandwidth stealing in the sense that it's generally used. (That would be displaying an image on the eBay auction that's actually hosted on Ed's site.) What the guy did was link to a video on another web site.
As it happens, the video which is linked is stored on space the guy pays for and is viewed via bandwidth (and quality of service) the guy pays for. Hence the claim.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 12th, 2005, 3:29 pm

**e *e**o* *ou** *a*e *a*e* *i**e** * *o* o* *i*e/e**o** e*i*i** **e *i*eo a** *u** *i**e* *o *e *i*e *o*o*e* (and quite gross) "*oa**e" *i**u*e.

The person hotlinking the video would have got the message pretty quick I'd wager.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » November 12th, 2005, 3:45 pm

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
As it happens, the video which is linked is stored on space the guy pays for and is viewed via bandwidth (and quality of service) the guy pays for. Hence the claim.
I understand that. I just take issue with calling this "bandwidth stealing." I think that's an incorrect application of the phrase. It's not polite, but I disagree with calling it "bandwidth stealing."

Chris's solution is the one I occasionally employ when I haven't configured a server properly.

John

"The real, important, vibrant world of magic and its creators is not a stone statue over which the tuxedo-wearing pigeons can continue to drop their fecal behavior." -- Jay sank ye.

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2005, 4:13 pm

If the "stolen bandwidth" was a real problem, wouldn't the owner of the video, just change the location of his link? The cost of having the new video with the message should be the same. And with the publicity on this forum, the cost should actually increase.

Postby Guest » November 12th, 2005, 5:48 pm

Bandwidth? Copyright? To me those are side issues--distracters. The eBay seller took a video that was designed, produced, performed, taped, and developed by someone else and did not ask for permission to use it nor offer compensation for its use. In my book, that's theft.

Would you approve of someone taking a video that you spent time, effort, and money in putting together and then used it as a commercial advertisement without your permission in order to make a profit? I can't imagine the argument that could defend this.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » November 12th, 2005, 6:14 pm

Linking to images on someone else's site without permission is a violation of eBay's selling policies.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2005, 6:49 pm

Originally posted by John W. LeBlanc:
I think that's an incorrect application of the phrase. It's not polite, but I disagree with calling it "bandwidth stealing."
The seller is using Funtymemagic's bandwidth by linking to a demo of the video to sell the product.

Funtymemagic pays for the bandwidth to advertise the product in the demo to THEIR customers. They are not hosting those videos so their competition can use it.

In my eyes this is stealing bandwidth. It's rude.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » November 18th, 2005, 11:43 am

Originally posted by G Dayton:
Bandwidth? Copyright? To me those are side issues--distracters. The eBay seller took a video that was designed, produced, performed, taped, and developed by someone else and did not ask for permission to use it nor offer compensation for its use. In my book, that's theft.

Would you approve of someone taking a video that you spent time, effort, and money in putting together and then used it as a commercial advertisement without your permission in order to make a profit? I can't imagine the argument that could defend this.
I wouldn't put it in a public location, aka, the internet. If a website is not password protected it is open to the world. Therefore, people can point links to your stuff. That is just the way it is. Hack the Planet!

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » November 18th, 2005, 1:04 pm

Just a quick update - after a few days of the fun, Ed went ahead and let ebay know about the violation. The seller's auctions with FuntymeMagic.com content were pulled.

Oh, and Mr. Aguilar - I don't know what is more disturbing - the fact that the ****** picture exists or that you know it's name.... :p

e

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 18th, 2005, 4:18 pm

I have removed the link regarding the goatse photo. I'm not interested in having links to vile crap like that on the Forum.
Anyone who does it again will get booted.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » November 18th, 2005, 6:39 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I have removed the link regarding the ****** photo. I'm not interested in having links to vile crap like that on the Forum.
Anyone who does it again will get booted.
Anyone would be me I suppose.

I thought (quite incorrectly it seems) that it would be ok to warn folks ("hey this is really gross") and merely link to an encyclopedia article about the ****** picture that didn't contain the picture.

It was my (again obviously mistaken) assumption that anyone reading the article (which describes the picture in question without actually showing it) would refrain from seeking out further links to something that might upset them. My mistake.

Your forum, your rules, my apologies.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 18th, 2005, 7:25 pm

We have folks of all ages reading the Forum: very young to very old.

Links to websites that contain links to images like goatse are simply inappropriate.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”