Blackpool 2010 Line Up

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Blackpool 2010 Line Up

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 16th, 2009, 10:45 am

Just read what appears to be the final line up of talent on Duncan Trillo's excellent Magic Week site. Glad I don't have to sit in the dealer room for the whole convention this year.

Blackpool Convention 2010... it just gets bigger! Two very special events planned for next year's convention are 'An audience with Wayne Dobson' presented by Michael J Fitch and 'An audience with the illusionists' featuring Rafael (photo), Russ Stevens and Franz Harary. Where in the world could you see 19 magic lectures in just three days? Blackpool! The impressive line-up includes Henry Evans - Argentina, Levent - USA, David Williamson - USA, Andy Nyman - UK, Mr. Tango - Argentina, Juan Mayoral - Spain, Ed Ellis - USA, Mario Morriss UK, Yigal Mesika - USA, Mark Mason - UK, Shoot Ogawa - Japan, David Kaplan - USA, Banachek - USA, David & Dania - USA, John Bannon - USA, Oscar Munoz - USA, Jimmy Carlo - UK, Pat Fallon - Ireland, Ouentin Reynolds - UK. The close-up sessions feature some of the world's very best: Henry Evans - Argentina , Banachek - USA, Yigal Mesika - USA, David Williamson - USA, David Penn - UK, Mark Mason - UK, John Bannon - USA, Ed Ellis - USA, Oscar Munoz - USA, Shoot Ogawa - Japan, Harry Robson - UK and Andy Nyman - UK. And Sunday's Gala show stars Han Seol Hui - Korea, The Great Kaplan - USA, David And Dania - USA, Clive Webb & Danny Adams - UK, Huan Zheng - China, Levent - USA, Russ Stevens - UK, Yo Kato - Japan, Franz Harary - USA, and the irrepressible Ken Dodd (from Knotty Ash!). Plus over 125 dealers from all over the world demonstrating all the latest miracles that you know you can't live without. Visit www.blackpoolmagic.com to download a registration form. 19th - 21st February, 2010, Blackpool. Don't miss it!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jolly Roger

Re: Blackpool 2010 Line Up

Postby Jolly Roger » November 18th, 2009, 5:56 pm

I shall be attending, although not performing this year. I am interested to see that my friends Quentin Reynolds and Jimmy Carlo are both lecturing. Jimmy won the Kidabra Children's entertainer of the year award in the US this year, and Quentin was in the world championship children's entertainer competition in the Opera house that I was in the previous year. I am interested to know if Quentin will be lecturing on Punch? That would be great! Maybe he can enlighten us. Derek Lever often does book two children's lecturers. JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 19th, 2009, 4:59 am

This is a very exciting line-up, and I can't wait to be there.

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » November 19th, 2009, 5:44 am

I am considering going as there are a few great names performing that I haven't seen before.I can't make it to International this year so I need to get a magic fix somewhere, I need to rope someone into going with me so I'm not wandering around like a lost soul though.
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » November 19th, 2009, 6:34 am

Francesca,

90% of the Irish Magic community travel over to blackpool.

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 19th, 2009, 7:00 am

I believe Andy Nyman has pulled out.

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » November 19th, 2009, 7:04 am

IrishMagicNews wrote:Francesca,

Brendan

Yes, but I don't know many of them to be honest and I'm sure they wouldn't want to have to look after me. I haven't made a firm decision yet as I am a bit scared of going back to Blackpool to be honest but I think it would be good for me. I had an extremely frightening trip home from the convention 2 years ago and I think going back might help me realise that I was just plain unlucky that year.

I know to avoid The Ruskin as the crowds freak me out. I'm from a tiny wee village in Ireland and that number of people in one place really freaks me out.
Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, and they both take practice.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 19th, 2009, 2:56 pm

The Ruskin can, indeed, be a den of iniquity. However, the last couple of years it has been much less busy inside, as it is my observation that most magicians are smokers, and with the recent "Non Smoking in Pub" laws, they all sit outside on the steps. I find it highly amusing that you now have to go inside a pub to get fresh air!! JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 19th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Francesca Moffet wrote:
IrishMagicNews wrote:Francesca,

Brendan

Yes, but I don't know many of them to be honest

Yes. I have indeed found that to be true.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 19th, 2009, 4:07 pm

You've misinterpreted Francesca's remark, because she didn't use a comma. What she meant (I think) is, "Yes, but I don't know many of them, to be honest."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 19th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Aha! I was never very good at punctuation. I am still trying to find a semi-colon somewhere.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 20th, 2009, 3:45 am

here you go;

De nada, Ian

Francesca Moffet

Postby Francesca Moffet » November 20th, 2009, 4:48 am

Jet2.com isn't offering flights from Belfast to Blackpool during February so I guess my decision has been made for me.

I'm pretty annoyed by the fact I no longer have the option as I used to have no problem getting flights to Blackpool.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 20th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Don't Ryan Air have something? Or perhaps you could travel to Dublin and get something there?

Or perhaps you could get the boat? Bloody long journey though. I once sent a silly young magician on that trip under the pretext that I would be at the other end to offer him a great opportunity to make some money in Ireland. Of course I had found out that he had stolen from me in Blackpool so I took the opportunity to teach him a lesson. I told him to pay his own fare and I would refund his money when I saw him. I made sure he took the busy night boat which I knew would be most uncomfortable and crowded. When he got there and found that I was not around he was furious and wanted to kill me. Serves the dirty bastard right for stealing from me.

Not that I have a vindictive nature of course.

Edward

Postby Edward » November 21st, 2009, 9:03 pm

:lol: Funny Mark.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » November 27th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Last night I attended a presentation at Blackpool Magician's Club by Johnnie Hamp. A most interesting, entertaining and fascinating evening.

Hmmm, I hear you muttering ... who is Johnnie Hamp?

Johnnie, now 78 was manager of three Granada Theatres in the 1950s, then a producer, and later Head of Light Entertainment with Granada TV in Manchester.

In the very early 1960s he made TV specials with Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vincent, Little Richard, Muddy Waters and Woody Allen doing stand-up.

He later went on to develop The Comedians and Wheeltappers & Shunters TV shows, which may mean little outside the UK, but were top rated shows that launched dozens of careers including that of Paul Daniels.

His ability at spotting upcoming talent earned him the nickname "Starmaker".

It turns out that Johnnie has also been booked to give his presentation at the Ladies Afternoon at Blackpool. I don't know if men are allowed in but if they are, and you have any interest in showbusiness, then don't miss it.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 27th, 2009, 3:25 pm

I remember Johnny Hamp. He used to be a regular judge on ATV's "New Faces", a show which both myself and Derek Lever were on at one time. It will be interesting to see him if I am allowed to the ladies event. Last year I believe it was Duggie Chapman who did this.

I also hear that my friend Robert Blake from the Netherlands has been booked for the Children's entertainer championships, and I predict he will be the winner. JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Alex de Cova
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Alex de Cova » November 28th, 2009, 6:55 pm

. so be prepared. :-)
NOTAS - my first book in English coming soon.
Read more about it on http://www.solidmagic.org/notas

Alex de Cova
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Alex de Cova » November 28th, 2009, 6:58 pm

will be at blackpool and in the ruskins will lovingly do some original ITM music on the accordion (irish guys - remember the conv this year?). no one will probably listen to it, BUT they will all have their beer, and MAYBE remember to tune... all night for free, looking forward to it. can't wait...!!!
alexander
p.s.: might do one or two card tricks as well... ;-)
AND: I am used to pub sessions already... so be prepared. :-) I LOVE ITM. and I LOVE the english/scottish/irish way in the pubs. SO different to germany... ;-)
NOTAS - my first book in English coming soon.
Read more about it on http://www.solidmagic.org/notas

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 28th, 2009, 9:03 pm

It really is quite disgraceful how Roger is cutting in on my psychic business lately. He knows full well that I was the one who first predicted that Robert would win at Blackpool. Roger is just copying me in the same way he copied Tommy Cooper.

I have seen a video of Robert somewhere and it should probably be posted here. My gut feeling is that he will win because he knows how to play wide and that is needed on that cavernous stage.

It is a rather silly competition anyway and doesn't mean a thing. I am always amazed that people who have some sort of name in magic go in for these competitions since they always lose.

David Ginn got nowhere in Blackpool and I think some other fellow who was reasonably well known got nowhere too. I just can't remember his name off hand but I have seem him work many times and he is indeed quite dreadful. The name is on the tip of my tongue but it just seems to escape me which is just as well.

And of course Albert Goshman went in for some silly close up competition and came in fifth. If you are a famous magician of any stature then you should never go in for this kind of thing. I well remember Goodliffe of Abra fame mentioning this and he was quite right.

naquada

Postby naquada » February 12th, 2010, 4:54 pm

We've just finished our interview with Franz Harary ready for Blackpool, sounds like there are some promising things he's packing to bring over with him for the convention...

Andy Reay managed to grab some time with the top international illusionist, and we appreciate him taking the time out of his extremely tight schedule!

listen to the chat here - http://www.magicconventionguide.com/201 ... nz-harary/
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

Doc

Postby Doc » February 15th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:You've misinterpreted Francesca's remark, because she didn't use a comma. What she meant (I think) is, "Yes, but I don't know many of them, to be honest."

What's this thing called, love?
Benny Hill

Return to “Buzz”