The Magic Menu

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Seuss

The Magic Menu

Postby Seuss » August 29th, 2009, 2:18 am

Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Silly Walter

Re: The Magic Menu

Postby Silly Walter » November 7th, 2009, 8:20 am

I just noticed the line up of contributors. Christopher Lyle? Scott Guinn? Paul Gordon?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!

They should see if they can get James Munton on staff too.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!

Christopher Lyle as a contributor. That's rich, I'll say !!!
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 7th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Dear Silly Walter,

May I ask why the rudeness? Have you read the 1st issue, or are you prejudiced? If you have read it, what don't you like?

Yours, Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » November 7th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Silly Walter...

Have you and I ever met before? I must say that I have no clue who you are. Why do you find it "comical" that I'm a contributor?

Are you a subscriber? Have you given ANY of us a real chance?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

Christopher Lyle
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
www.lylemagic.com
Columnist - The Magic Menu

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 7th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Silly Walter likes to poke people and see if they flinch.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » November 7th, 2009, 3:50 pm

It was always a bit of an "amateur hour" effort, The Magic Menu. Like reading your great aunt's seasonal bulk letter. It's where guys from the little leagues get to pretend their A-Grade writers and authorities.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » November 7th, 2009, 5:21 pm

Nathan,

That's usually expressed Grade-A. The word you're trying to use is they're not their.

So, what makes you an expert on writing? Is it your extraordinary command of the English language or that fantastic magic career, with which, we're all so familiar? Sorry about that, I just thought the combination of a typo or two, combined with your chosen subject deserved a poke. Carry on.

Walter, you silly polar bear, whazzup?

I have no opinion on the Magic Menu, Jim Sisti or the others writing with him. I have a couple of Paul Gordon's books. He apparently knows the English language better than the small sampling I have for Mr. Muir.

Who's to say which restaurant worker's opinion is better than any other's? I don't know, I haven't worked a restaurant for over fifteen years.

Sisti's publication has always been geared to restaurant workers. If you don't think Sisti should draw writers in who actually work in restaurants, who should he have write for him? Oh that's right, it's none of your business. Simply don't buy the magazine if that's not your cup of ass-juice.

Walter, you know I still am on your side reflexively, neh? If you have dirt or nasty opinions, share them. Don't bash and run.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » November 7th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Here's some people who have contributed to The Maguc Menu:

Eugene Burger, Michael Ammar, Michael Close, Doc Eason, Bill Malone, Jamy Ian Swiss, Harry Lorayne, Kirk Charles, Jay Sankey, Simon Lovell, David Acer, Gregory Wilson, David Harkey

Who'd want to read anything by these "guys from the little leagues"?

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » November 7th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Silly Walter likes to poke people and see if they flinch.

Silly Walter took my place in poking at people.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » November 7th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Nathan Muir wrote:It was always a bit of an "amateur hour" effort, The Magic Menu. It's where guys from the little leagues get to pretend their A-Grade writers and authorities.

Nathan Muir (and everyone else),

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions. But, as someone that has been with the Magic Menu for a number of years (!), I don't consider Jim Sisti, Al Ulman, Mark Bryne, or myself as "little leaguers". Scott Guinn and Paul Gordon are both recognized authors. Tom Frank and Mark Zacharia have been around for more than a moment. Chris Lyle is a new name, but he does have substantial credentials.

Kent Gunn and Jon Allen have stated their cases well. TMM has been considered a great source for restaurant and bar performers. I have lost count of the people that have approached me at conventions and told me how much they have learned and benefitted from the Menu's pages and writers.

Nathan Muir, if you haven't received value for your money and time, you are in the minority. Spend your time elsewhere.

To everyone else, I hope you continue to enjoy and learn from those that share their opinions, routines, and dreams with our readers. It has always been my honor to be included with some great people.

Enjoy the search.

Respectfully,

Paul Green

PS Send me a story or two. That way you can be a "little leaguer" along with the rest of us.

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » November 7th, 2009, 7:40 pm

Kent Gunn wrote:Nathan,

That's usually expressed Grade-A. The word you're trying to use is they're not their.

You got me on "their". However, since I was using a sporting analogy, A-grades vs Little League is appropriate.

Regardless of one typo, and an analogy you didn't pick up on, Kent, I am entitled to my opinion. This is a discussion forum, after all. However, if you choosee, feel free to focsu on myy splinge. Happy to provde as menny typos as will satisfie you're cravnge.

As to Jon Allen's contribution to the thread, most of the names he mentions (the ones I am interested in reading, such as Swiss) were interviews or feature pieces, not regular contributors.

Ironically, Paul Green is the only regular contributor I'd bother reading. And I'm not just saying that because he weighed in to the thread.

As for Jim Sisti, his columns remind me of Mark Twain's observation on Christian Science writing: "chloroform in print."

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » November 7th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Nathan,

When I read your first post I thought, for a moment you were being self-mocking. You wrote,

"It's where guys from the little leagues get to pretend their A-Grade writers and authorities."

I apologize for missing the baseball analogy. It certainly flows. Had you merely capitalized Little League as a true sports aficonado would have, it all would've been clear.

That's a joke.

I simply thought your harangue against their writing abilities that had a writing error in it was funny, it struck me as unintentional whimsy. Apparently you don't see the humor. When I run into a jerk, like myself online, I can't see the humor either.

Correcting other people's grammar or spelling is puerile and beneath even a cheap-shot artist like me. I'll refrain in the future. It adds nothing to the discussion.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of the writers and the content in the Magic Menu. I have not made a careful enough review of the material to weigh in with my meaningless opinion. Your carping about the previous incarnation's content while the lads are trying to resurrect a magazine seems, to me, petty. Since they've got new writers why not read the first issue. If it's as bad as you think it is going to be, then post a scathing review.

Again, the spelling crack was out of line. I'm a mean-spirited old man, stuck in Albuquerque for the weekend.

I'm going to buy at least the first issue of The Magic Menu. I subscribe to only one magic magazine these days. Hmmmm . . . which one. Genii, of course. I can affort a copy of the new Sisti rag. If it's any good, to my tinted mind, I'll weigh in again with my meaningless opinion.

KG

PS. If you're going to quote Twain, get the right book. He used the line about chloroform when he was writing about the Book of Mormon in Roughing It. Are you putting this stuff in your posts as a trap for me? WTF. I know this is like their and they're. But you are not the intellectual you would like people to think you are. I'm not either.
Last edited by Kent Gunn on November 7th, 2009, 9:24 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Roughing it was getting roughed up

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 7th, 2009, 11:03 pm

I must say that I am quite amused at Nathan's description of the Sisti personage's writing. "Chloroform in Print" indeed. I must confess reluctantly that my opinion of young Nathan has gone up a notch.

I haven't read Sisti's chloroformic articles but I have no doubt that they are just as described. I will confess that I own a Sisti booklet and it is reasonably readable. I expect that was before he became chloroformic.

I have read issues of the old Magic Menu and it seemed quite good. I am not so sure of this new version. I am afraid that some of the contributors make me shudder when I read their names.

As for the silly suggestion above that James Munton be invited to write for the magazine I reel in horror because if that were to happen it would be the death knell of the magazine. On second thoughts that might not be a bad idea.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » November 7th, 2009, 11:26 pm

I find this conversation to be quite humerous...

Let me see if I'm understand this correctly. Since I'm not a BIG NAME in the world of magic, that means that I have no talent and nothing to contriubte? That's about what it all boils down to it seems. Am I correct?

Does anyone else think that's a complete load of BS or is it just me?

I can tell you from experience that they're people out there in the world of magic today that are more talented and more experienced than ANY big name Magician out there. Just becuase you've never heard of them doesn't make them a hack. It just means that you've never heard of them.

I have no claim to fame. I have nothing to sell you. I've never been on any magazine covers, never played The Castle, etc. But I do have real world experience "in the trenches" that gives me quite an insight into this little area of our craft.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. Just because you've never heard of someone, doesn't mean they don't have something to offer.

Paul Green said that I'm a "new name", but don't confuse that with being "new" to magic...as I am not.

Truth be told...I could really care less what a bunch of magicians think of me, the majority of whom hide behind fake names and avatars who have nothing better to do with their time then to make uneducated judgements on a magazine that they have never read.

However...I will continue...

I have no ambition to be FAMOUS! I have no ambition to be a NAME in magic. My only goal in life is to do what I love to do and that is to do magic and support my family doing it. It's bought me a beautiful home, new cars, puts food on my kitchen table and clothes on my daughters back. Could I ever ask for anything more? I'm living the dream...

All I know how to be the best Magician that I can be. Unlike many of you, I have never held a 9 to 5, 40 hour a week grind.

Over the last 25 years, I have made my career as a Restaurant Magician working anywhere from four to seven nights a week between two and six restaurants at a time...CONSISTANTLY w/o a break or any down time on top of performing for private parties and my Corporate Show. So when I speak, you can BANK on pretty much anything that I say.

Here's the best part. I have been able to do all of the above all without being a NAME or a FAMOUS PERSON inside of a very small community of people.

Do you think that outside of the Magic World, that Jeff McBride is anyone? (Love ya Jeff!) To us...he's a God that many bow down to. Outside of the Magic world, he's a nerd who wears pajamas everywhere he goes.

My point here is being a BIG NAME outside of our own little click of people means absolutly nothing. So who cares?

Those of you who have no interest in learning anything about the world of restaurant, strolling, and bar magic should spend your money elsewhere. This won't interest you...

However, if you want to learn some great stuff, you should give us a chance and subscribe and see what all the buzz is about. Paul Gordon and Scott Guinn are two other people whom you will want to keep your eyes on. GREAT STUFF from both (Scott especially!).

This whole thing began from some silly little rant from some silly little bear that I've never met and to my account have never had any dealings with prior. He has never responded to my inquiry so I dismiss him as some random guy that I must have pissed off in the past.

Can't please everyone!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 7th, 2009, 11:30 pm

Do stop bragging Christopher my boy. It is most unbecoming for a professional. Bragging about one's ability is certainly something you will never seem me do as it most unbecoming.

You are supposed to be a professional after all not a "perfeshanal" as described in Our Magic.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » November 7th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Mark...

Must we continue to walk down this same path over and over and over again?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 7th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Indeed we must. It is a hobby of mine. However I am now irritated to find that other people are copying my hobby and have started to snipe at you without my formal permission to do so.

I don't like to see people ganged up on so I will withdraw from the sniping if I see it getting out of hand. I might even change sides and defend you. Mind you it might be a bit like defending the Alamo.

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » November 7th, 2009, 11:58 pm

Kent Gunn wrote:I simply thought your harangue against their writing abilities that had a writing error in it was funny, it struck me as unintentional whimsy.

Oh, well. Ha. Ha. I was discussing a publication. If you want to discuss me, perhaps you should start another thread?

Kent Gunn wrote:Apparently you don't see the humor. When I run into a jerk, like myself online, I can't see the humor either.

Too much information. I'm not interested in you. No offense, etc.

Correcting other people's grammar or spelling is puerile and beneath even a cheap-shot artist like me. I'll refrain in the future. It adds nothing to the discussion.

Get on with it. Spit it out. These circular self-analytical digressions are painful.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of the writers and the content in the Magic Menu.

Exactly. No more needs to be said. If you're intending to go on with more self-analysis or analysis of who or what you think I am and whether I am entitled to post a comment, stow it. You must have me confused with someone who could give a [censored].

I have not made a careful enough review of the material to weigh in with my meaningless opinion. Your carping about the previous incarnation's content while the lads are trying to resurrect a magazine seems, to me, petty. Since they've got new writers why not read the first issue. If it's as bad as you think it is going to be, then post a scathing review.

Again, the spelling crack was out of line. I'm a mean-spirited old man, stuck in Albuquerque for the weekend.

I'm going to buy at least the first issue of The Magic Menu. I subscribe to only one magic magazine these days. Hmmmm . . . which one. Genii, of course. I can affort a copy of the new Sisti rag. If it's any good, to my tinted mind, I'll weigh in again with my meaningless opinion.

Finished giving yourself an intervention? Like I said, you should have stopped at an acknowledgment that I'm entitled to my opinion. This thread isn't about you or me in a personal sense.

PS. If you're going to quote Twain, get the right book. He used the line about chloroform when he was writing about the Book of Mormon in Roughing It. Are you putting this stuff in your posts as a trap for me? WTF.

The quote was on my mind because I heard Christopher Hitchens specifically attribute it as being in reference to Eddy at a recent lecture.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009 ... ems_to.php

I've just done a Google search and found people online correcting Hitchen's misattribution. Bully for you. I'm certainly no expert on Mormonism or Christian Science, so I'll defer to your scholarship. It appears that I took Hitchens' word on blind faith. Now there's an irony for you.

I know this is like their and they're. But you are not the intellectual you would like people to think you are. I'm not either.

Because I have a low but honestly held opinion of third rate magic magazine, you have the balls to make judgments on my intellect? While you waste your time defending magazines you haven't read, I'll continue to listen to lectures by the Hitch. Intellectual enough for you? Meanwhile, you can shove your ad hominem attempts to shut down free opinion up your ass.

But don't let this tough love get you down, Sparky. I like you the cut of your jib.

:whistle:

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 8th, 2009, 12:03 am

Dearie me. I think calling the Magic Menu a "third rate magazine" is a trifle libellous. Even I said it was only a "second rate magazine" You really owe Sisti an apology.

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » November 8th, 2009, 1:57 am

I doubt it. The Magic Menu never was in the same league as Genii, as just one example. Only in magic would it stir up such passion to point out the obvious.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 8th, 2009, 2:19 am

The Magic Menu was/is geared towards professional magicians and entertainers; whereas most magic magazines tend to be geared toward the amateur. Sadly, some hobbiest/amateur magicians just don't seem to realise the very big difference. So, The Magic Menu is not in the same league as Genii, and Genii is not in the same league as The Magic Menu. It's like comparing ice-cream and steak...you can't!

Btw; that's not a knock about hobbiest magicians or those kind of magazines.

Paul Gordon

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 8th, 2009, 3:31 am

I think many people will be happy to see The Magic Menu back in publication on a regular basis.

Sales will determine whether the line-up of contributors is up to snuff.

I saw the first of the new issues today in the dealer room here in LA and it looked first-rate to me.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » November 8th, 2009, 9:55 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I saw the first of the new issues today in the dealer room here in LA and it looked first-rate to me.

I thought it looked first rate, too. I'm nearly done reading it and I think it holds up well to the expectations I had, considering the impressive history of the previous incarnation. Jim should be very proud.

John

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 8th, 2009, 11:56 am

Dear Christopher: I agree 100%

Dear Jon: I agree 100%

Dear John: I agree 100%

PG

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 8th, 2009, 10:08 pm

My mother is somewhat deceased at the moment so I am not able to stay in her basement.
I must say that Mr Almond is disgracefully profane. I am afraid I am not inclined to hang around here to converse with the lower classes. I shall let the "perfeshanals" chatter among themselves while I go elsewhere to educate those who wish to be educated.
Cheerio.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 8th, 2009, 10:11 pm

I've tried to clean up this thread, but you guys should be ashamed of yourselves that you can't have a decent discussion about this without being jerks.

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » November 8th, 2009, 10:51 pm

I guess my two cents is that if Nathan or anyone else doesn't think that the Magic Menu is a worthwhile journal---then don't subscribe and/or don't read it but that will be your decision so please spare us the discussion.

I happen to be a subscriber and I do read it. I still reference the old Magic Menus from time to time.

The current issue is a restart so there are some columns in it that are introductory. I know it will get more into the working of restaurant and close up magic by the next issue.

Like I said---my two cents.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » November 9th, 2009, 2:07 am

Ray Banks wrote:I guess my two cents is that if Nathan or anyone else doesn't think that the Magic Menu is a worthwhile journal---then don't subscribe and/or don't read it but that will be your decision so please spare us the discussion.

Ray.

This is a discussion forum.

The area of interest for this forum is magic.

I have read the Magic Menu and am a member of this forum. Therefore if I choose to discuss it why would there be any problem? Agree or disagree - state your case and be done with it as you choose. But don't tell people that they cannot comment if they have an opinion that differs from yours.

Every day in newspapers and magazines around the world people publish critiques and dissenting opinions on politics, art, literature and so on. It's a healthy intellectual exercise that informs and entertains, especially when it gets a little heated. Join in or don't.

Nathan

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » November 9th, 2009, 2:35 am

Nathan Muir wrote:I have read the Magic Menu and am a member of this forum.

Nathan,

Have you read the NEW Magic Menu? Have you truely given us a chance? Why do you feel that we have nothing to offer to the community and that we're all just a bunch of 2nd rate hacks?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » November 9th, 2009, 2:59 am

Christopher,

I think Magic Menu has something to offer. Charming little amateur publications are fun to read at times, too. I just don't think the magazine and many of its commentators are in the league of a product like Genii. I have both of the L&L compilations and they are like the Curate's egg: good in parts. I very much enjoyed the Swiss interview, for example. But many of the advice columns are somewhat sophomoric at times, or simply obvious in their wisdoms and insights.

I am sure the magazine is very useful to a complete beginner who wants to do some bar or restaurant magic. Some of the tricks were excellent in that regard.

It is perfectly valid for me to make these observations and valid for someone to attempt to refute them.

If I see it at a friend's house and flick through it and discover it has been elevated to a standard of design and content quality on par with Genii, I will be the first to express that I am impressed.

Nathan

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » November 9th, 2009, 3:21 am

Nathan Muir wrote:I think Magic Menu has something to offer.

I'm glad you feel that way.

Nathan Muir wrote:Charming little amateur publications are fun to read at times, too.

Why do you consider The Magic Menu an "amateur" publication? Every single one the columnists is a Full Time Professional. How can a magazine made up of Full Time Pro's be considered amateur? Please explain...?

Nathan Muir wrote:I just don't think the magazine and many of its commentators are in the league of a product like Genii.

Hmmmm...last time I checked, I never knew we were supposed to be in direct competetion with Genii OR Magic or any other publication. Why can't we all just co-exist?

Nathan Muir wrote:I have both of the L&L compilations and they are like the Curate's egg: good in parts.

I could say the same of Genii or Magic or any other mag. Some parts I enjoy while others I think are just fluff to fill the pages. I think that's going to be true of any publication that you pick up...

I'm not saying the MM is full of fluff...but my point is that no matter what we do, we cannot please everyone 100% of the time. You are condemning us and haven't even read what we're about.

Nathan Muir wrote:But many of the advice columns are somewhat sophomoric at times, or simply obvious in their wisdoms and insights.

Such as...?

Nathan Muir wrote:I am sure the magazine is very useful to a complete beginner who wants to do some bar or restaurant magic. Some of the tricks were excellent in that regard.

So you think that we cater only to the beginner? Why is that? Why don't you feel a seasoned professional (as all of the people involved in this project are) has anything to learn from people who have over 200+ years of collective experience.

Nathan Muir wrote:If I see it at a friend's house and flick through it and discover it has been elevated to a standard of design and content quality on par with Genii, I will be the first to express that I am impressed.

You are free to do whatever you wish, but I think it's awefully rude of you or anyone to make these judgements based on not being properly educated with what we're trying to accomplish here. You've pretty much stated that you think we're all a bunch of hacks (for reasons I have yet to understand) yet you haven't even given us a read.

I could understand if you had read us already and didn't like what we said or disagreed with us and then offered your commentary, but it sounds like to me you're saying you don't like to eat steak when you haven't even tried it.

Like the old sayin' goes...Ain't Tried It? Don't Knock It!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 9th, 2009, 3:59 am

Dear Nathan,

You are, of course, allowed to express your opinion, but it's the way that you express it that is hard to bear. Your tone is haughty and patronising. If you've not fully read the new MM, then you are being prejudiced; but either way, you make "statements" as if your words are sacrosanct. Not very nice!

Paul Gordon

P.S - Why use Genii as a yardstick? As I said before, you can't compare Genii to MM and you can't compare MM to Genii. They are two different beasts.

Nathan Muir

Postby Nathan Muir » November 9th, 2009, 4:32 am

Enough whining, gentlemen. You are the merchandise and I am the consumer. I'll decide whether you meet my standards.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » November 9th, 2009, 4:55 am

A) I'm not whining at all!
B) I'm not the merchandise; I'm an unpaid contributor!
C) You are not the consumer if you don't subscribe or read it!
D) And, as for "meeting your standards"...don't even go there!

Paul Gordon

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 9th, 2009, 8:07 am

I badly want to say that the new Magic Menu is awful but I can't because I haven't seen it. All I have to go on at the moment is one negative report from a young restaurant magician who subscribed.

I can only reluctantly say that previous issues do seem to be pretty good. And I agree that comparing it to Genii is like comparing apples to oranges. They are two different fruits. For the moment until I actually see the present issue all I can complain about is that the new bunch of contributors don't seem to be in the same class as the old bunch.

Still I can only speculate until I actually see a copy. I think I know where I can find one. Once I see it I shall comment on the matter in an objective way and of course my final word on this will be gospel on the matter.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » November 9th, 2009, 10:03 am

Nathan Muir wrote:Enough whining, gentlemen. You are the merchandise and I am the consumer. I'll decide whether you meet my standards.

Nathan,

In your previous posts, you have made some very BOLD statements that are not only predjuice, but downright insulting to not only everyone who writes for the publication, but also those who have subscribed.

I think I have been biting my tongue "pretty well" up to this point but I have about lost my patience with you.

I have posed SEVERAL questions that you STILL have not answered...so I shall ask them once more in hopes that you will be human and fill in the blanks for many of us:

1. Why do you consider The Magic Menu an "amateur" publication? Every single one the columnists is a Full Time Professional. How can a magazine made up of Full Time Pro's be considered amateur? Please explain...?

2. I never knew we were supposed to be in direct competetion with Genii OR Magic or any other publication. Why can't we all just co-exist?

3. Why do you feel that many of the advice columns are somewhat sophomoric at times, or simply obvious in their wisdoms and insights? Please explain...

4. So you think that we cater only to the beginner? Why is that? Why don't you feel a seasoned professional (as all of the people involved in this project are) has anything to learn from people who have over 200+ years of collective experience.

That final question is one that I really hope you will take time to answer as in my opinion you have just insulted all 100+ subscribers that we have. Many of those folks are also full time professional workers who have provided us with their hard earned money to read how we feel they can be better and doing their job.

You say that we're whining? We're not! You have put us on the defensive and we're trying trying to figure out WHY?

Again...if you had read the NEW installment of The Magic Menu and were dissatisified with it, then that would be one thing. But you're not and for whatever reason are extremely prejudice against a publication and columnists that you obviously know NOTHING about.

You owe me absolutly nothing...but I think the DECENT thing to do since you have bashed up oneside and down the other to is please repond to those questions that I have posted...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle

www.lylemagic.com

mormonyoyoman

Postby mormonyoyoman » November 9th, 2009, 11:47 am

It is amusing that Nathan, with such low standards as to use obscenities in his posts, whines that a magazine he hasn't read doesn't meet his standards. And he whines that everyone is picking on him, trying to "shut down" his "free opinion."

Mind you, being an American, I'm of the opinion everyone is entitled to their informed opinion. I'm also of the opinion that a "free" opinion is worth what one has paid for it. Evidently, Nate-boy feels that a "free opinion" means having no information whatsoever about the magazine other than the names of columnists. And, of course, the fact that it's not titled "Genii."

A magazine which is aimed at the hobbyist in each of us, compared to a magazine with a tight focus towards the close-up magician - with strong nods to the restaurant magician - such a comparison is, at best, ludicrous.

The quality of the Magic Menu speaks for itself. Did the first issue have problems? What first issue didn't? Will it improve? Undoubtedly. Does Nate have the slightest idea what the strengths, qualities, and problems might have been? Doubtful.

What we are seeing is a troll with a desperate need for attention. He's not even amusing. Mark Lewis serves a purpose and keeps us not only amused, but downright jolly. Nate is a pale imitation, who wants to grow up to be someone whose opinion counts.

*jeep!
--your obedient Grandpa

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Do I need to lock this thread?

mormonyoyoman

Postby mormonyoyoman » November 9th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Please.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2009, 12:39 pm

I mean ... really. How hard is it to have a decent discussion about this magazine without allowing it to get derailed by some twits.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”