OIATER

Read exclusive online reviews of products and discuss them.
Kent Gunn

OIATER

Postby Kent Gunn » July 4th, 2009, 12:03 pm

This is a booklet by Tom Dobrowolski and Jeremiah Zhang on OIl and wATER, hence the off-the-wall title.

OiATER" is available through dealers worldwide (dealers contact Murphy's) or directly at http://www.chicagomagicbash.com.

Having looked on this forum I noticed some other postings on OIATER. Since they're by one of the authors I felt a review by someone without a stake in it's success might fill a small hole. Plus Tom Frame has captured the on-line review section here at Genii and I'm feeling a little left out.

OIATER is 47 pages of oil and water stuffies. I do oil and water and am always looking for stuff to amp up my own, somewhat subdued presentations.

Dobrowolski and Zhang, the main authors, get Curtis Kam and Eric Jones to add their handlings as well. It's like being at a late night session except you don't have to drink the burned coffee or get heartburn from the lousy diner food.

I got stuck at one point in the document and I've done a couple of card tricks in my day. I think Mr. Zhang should have gotten one more person to edit the document for him. He can place a period and knows how to spell. This alone qualifies him for sainthood in my book. Actually his writing is pretty darned good. I suspect the quality will dramatically improve as he writes up more good stuff for folks.

The fact that it is a written document as opposed to a DVD goes miles in my book, to make me happy!

These folk have a progressive oil and water thema going. It goes like gangbusters. The routine, with many options available for interchanging chunkies and various handlings, is super-strong. I will be adding the OOTW seque to my own handling of oil and water. I think it is a solid idea.

You can definitely learn how to do the trick from the booklet. More than a rudimentary knowledge of card handling is required. Other books are referenced, Drawing Room Deceptions and Ascanio II come to mind. If you're not already pretty darned conversant with standard card sleights, this is NOT the next purchase for you.

I give the document overall positive marks. If you're an oil and water aficionado you definitely want to work these additions up! If you have solid card skills and always thought oil and water lacked punch, you need this booklet. Some of the sequences with four cards look like freakin' magic!!!

I think a demo of the routine would go miles to pumping up their sales. Tom, Jeremiah, Curtis, Eric . . . you four write a good game, how about some demo action!!!

Kent Gunn
Redwood City CA

David Alexander

Re: OIATER

Postby David Alexander » July 4th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Having been bored stiff by nearly every presentation of "Oil and Water" that I had ever seen I inwardly cringed when one Saturday afternoon at Midwest Magic Tom asked to show me his version.

I'd watched Levand do his on a DVD and thought it couldn't be topped, so why bother...but Tom is a nice person, I didnt want to appear rude, so I said Yes.

I then had the pleasure of being both proven wrong and entertained. As far as I'm concerned, Tom's version is the one to learn. I base that opinion on my criteria for performance material: the effect has to be constructed so that it is easy for the audience to understand and appreciate what is happening. The effect must appear magical and what youre doing has to have a reason for it being done...not just a demonstration of the performer's ability to control cards. The routine also has to follow what I call "Novelty into Surprise." You prove that something "magical" can happen...now work in a surprise or two.

What Tom and his friends have constructed is theatrically solid. The routine has a beginning, middle, and end, with an increasing level of apparent difficulty as the effect progresses. The layout at the end is theatrically sound. I dont think you can ask for more from this routine.

Years ago this is the sort of thing that would be shared between friends and only slowly work its way out into the general magic community over time. The community is lucky that Tom is generous as this is worth buying, learning, and performing.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » July 4th, 2009, 9:44 pm

Yeah, what David said!

Damn it, I hate it when somebody responds to a review I've written with a better written and stronger review. This happens when I do magic too!

KG

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 5th, 2009, 6:29 am

Kent,the difference is that David got the demo you asked for. So in the end, you were right.

Geez, time was when a book was enough...

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » July 6th, 2009, 12:48 am

Curtis,

This is 2009. (How's that for a statement of the obvious?)

Ellusionist, Theory 11 and all the kids have cool demos of their stuff. Why can't the Oiater pundits do the same thing. The six card version of their oil and water looks like the handling I do and put up, on this very website. Even a putz like me got a couple thousand hits on youtube just from posting the link here, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-EiHtd8UxY

Watch, the counts will spike again, even though a lot, here on Genii have already seen it. I'm not trying to sell copies of Derek Dingle's Greatest Hits, but they are trying to sell copies of Oiater.

Note to those who clicked on the link. This is NOT WHAT you get in OIATER. I can't perform what's in OIATER nor would I post it on youtube. I do believe if Mr. Dobrowolski or the Zhanger were to put it up, online they'd definitely expand their market.

I didn't really need a demo. I watched my hands do the trick in the book they sent me for review. It's called reading and understanding. That is how I learn magic tricks. I'm really old and not very "with-it" though.

KG

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » July 14th, 2009, 10:08 pm

First of all Kent thanks for taking the time to read and review the manuscript. I do appreciate it. Thanks also for the overall positive marks.

I also want to thank David Alexander for his very kind comments. I'm glad you thought I was a nice guy and watched the routine! I am particularly pleased you enjoyed it as much as you did.

We toyed with the idea of having a video demo and have been told by EVERYONE (including the distributor) that we would sell a lot more of the manuscripts if we had one. We were actually encouraged to release it as DVD as that would sell better. I can vouch for that as my first release the DVD "In The Hands Wild Card" (time for the cheap plug:available from dealers worldwide and at http://www.chicagomagicbash.com) sold a lot more copies. We are reconsidering the idea and may post an on-line demo in the future.

In the mean time if you stop by Midwest Magic (www.midwestmagic.net)in the Chicago area on any given Saturday or are going to be at Magic Live! in August just ask and I'll be glad to show it to you.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » July 15th, 2009, 12:37 am

Hmmmm . . .

Magic Live

Oh wait they're sold out. Darn it. I wanted to get out of the house too!

Oh well. I guess I'll have to drag my fat . . . to Chicago.

KG

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » July 15th, 2009, 11:05 am

I'll also be in the Waikiki beach area of Oahu at the Hale Koa resort (just down the street from the Curtis Kam estate) in January 2010.....

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 15th, 2009, 3:29 pm

Kent, come to Hawaii. Tom and I will be "perfecting" yet another overworked classic effect. Let's see, Triumph? Ambitious Card? Maybe the Cups and Balls. Yeah, it's about time someone did some new work on that one.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 15th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Curtis Kam wrote:Kent, come to Hawaii. Tom and I will be "perfecting" yet another overworked classic effect. Let's see, Triumph? Ambitious Card?

Just stay away from The Collectors. I swear that I'll get that ms. finished one day.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » July 31st, 2009, 12:46 pm

Curtis,

WTF, I just read your comment. New work on the cups and balls?, I got your new work buddy. Got a call from Travel Channel. Have they contacted you yet?

Send me an email address Curtis, I've lost yours. I have a version of Ortiz' Hitchcock aces you'll like. I call it the same thing Ortiz did, but I shortened the routine so I removed Hitch from the title.

KG
Last edited by Kent Gunn on July 31st, 2009, 12:47 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Naughty word obscured

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 31st, 2009, 2:53 pm

Lovely. Does the title still start with "Darwin's"?

No word here from the Travel people, but I did get a rather garbled message from someone. I assumed they were some sort of telemarketer. I've been ignoring thier calls.

For anyone that don't know, the Travel Channel shot Kent's Funshop Cups and Balls when they were covering the last WMS. They had me talk about it up front, since they would have had to bleep out most of what Kent would have said.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » July 31st, 2009, 9:07 pm

Better yet let's work on something to appeal to the younger demographic.

I say we create the "Ultimate Holy Grail Torn and Restored Any Card At Any Number Through Window" with our own specially printed limited release deck of cards! It's so off the chain we'll call it "RiDikUloZzZzZ". We can sell it as a $ 59.95 download.

O.k. now I need to lie down. That was way to exciting for an almost 50 year old guy.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » August 13th, 2009, 9:11 am

Just a reminder if anyone is at Magic Live! I'd be glad to give the live in person demo of "OiATER". I actually get in to Vegas tomorrow morning and plan on swinging by LVMI at some point tomorrow also. Be glad to show it to anyone interested when I see you at either event. Just ask.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » August 27th, 2009, 9:07 pm

From Michael Vincent. Thanks Michael!

"The opening gambit fooled me completely and consolidated my belief in the power of assumptions, the opening sequence was and is perfect.
Your routine had just the right amount of progression and logical build up to the big finish which caught everyone at the table, beautiful stuff.
The last time I saw an Oil and Water routine which had a strong impact on me was Darwin Ortiz's Ultimate Oil and Water, your routine is right up there.
Well done on a superb effort and intellectual effort".

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 8th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Another on-line review posted

5 Stars

"If you like the oil and water concept or even think you like it, get this book. It is a gem."
Christian, MyLovelyAssistant 9/8/2009

www.mylovelyassistant.com/reviews/view/1859

Thanks Christian

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 30th, 2009, 8:55 am

Tom Dobrowolski wrote:Better yet let's work on something to appeal to the younger demographic.

I say we create the "Ultimate Holy Grail Torn and Restored Any Card At Any Number Through Window" with our own specially printed limited release deck of cards! ....

If only they would have added the ACAAN to this.....

http://murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=45247

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 30th, 2009, 1:28 pm

I love the titles in the video - 'What's happen?!'

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » September 30th, 2009, 2:52 pm

...And they hold "ONE" piece. What's with the quotation marks? Are they holding more than one? Who did the text for this, the people who write LOL Cats?

Thanks Tom. I think.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 15th, 2009, 5:50 pm

We've been surprised and truly pleased with the overwhelmingly positive response we've received for our recent release "OiATER". As a way of showing our appreciation and to offer our thanks for your support for those of you who have purchased a copy of "OiATER" we are offering a free pdf copy of my latest lecture notes "10 Things I Know For Sure. There are no tricks in these notes. They consist of some thoughts opinions and valuable lessons I've learned in my 40 year journey through the world of magic.

By now anyone who has purchased a copy directly from us at www.chicagomagicbash.com will automatically be be e-mailed a pdf copy. (If I happened to have inadvertantly missed anyone please PM or e-mail me.) For those of you who may have purchased a copy from a magic dealer and would like to receive a pdf copy of the notes send me a PM or e-mail with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

We truly appreciate your support! Hope you enjoy the notes!

Best- Tom

P.S.- As I say in the notes I'd love to see your lists some day.....

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » November 17th, 2009, 9:25 am

If anyone else needs a copy of the notes, please let me know.

I'll be giving them away with all new purchases of either "OiATER" and/or my "In The Hands Wild Card" from now until the end of the year. If you buy either from my website www.chicagomagicbash.com you'll get them automatically. If you buy either from a dealer just send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

BTW I got a GREAT 10 Things I Know For Sure list back from Kent Gunn.

Anyone else? - Tom

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 3rd, 2010, 11:02 am

A couple of comments I received recently from Jack Carpenter. He also gave me a nice idea to enhance the ending. I may take Curtis Kam's suggestion and gather the ideas that have been sent, etc. and out them into a second edition..."OIATER II: Still Separate"

Here are Jack's comments. Thanks Jack!

"I can tell you right now those sequences in the clips are eye-poppers. Natural handling, no confusion, and totally convincing."

-Jack

AND:

Hi Tom,

Just wanted to let you know I've completed the OIATER manuscript, and played around with it to my heart's content! I think it certainly is a very practical and convincing routine. And I really appreciate the way you've brought it out of the "quick trick" or "puzzle" category by routining it to a full length presentation piece. I really like the ending it is a knock out punch that they will never forget.

And the way the routine progresses to "less and less" adds a great theatrical suspense . . . with a little comic relief. (Though the work that Jones and Zhang added is quite magical, I think the joke is perfect- they already know you can do some amazing "separations"- the comic relief is just perfect before the big finale.)

Well, thanks for the manuscript, and keep up the good work!

-Jack

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 6th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Beginning right now through December 23, 2011 (or until we run out of copies of the manuscript) everyone who orders a copy of OiATER through our website (www.chicagomagicbash.com) will receive a copy of my In The Hands Wild Card DVD at no additional charge. Thats right an absolutely free copy of the DVD with every OiATER purchase through December 23,1011 or until we run out of copies of the manuscript. Just put Free DVD in the comments area when you check out. Heres a performance of ITHWC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaJvzpFV44g

Another "OiATER" endorsement:

Although I enjoyed delivering the lecture, the real fun for me began after the lecture, when several of the club members shared some of their magic with me. Tom Dobrowolski has a lovely routine called Regressive Oil and Water, contained in his 47-page mss with Jeremiah Zhang called Oiater. The progression of this routine, in which it is done with fewer and fewer cards until the surprise ending, is a kick to behold.- Steve Bryant Little Egypt Magic (http://littleegyptmagic.com/magic_september2011.html)

Thanks Steve....

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 10th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Only 6 copies of "OiATER" left.....

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 11th, 2011, 2:14 pm

FYI I am literally down to the LAST copy of "OiATER" as I type this. If anyone is interested in this deal I'd order soon:) I'm overwhelmed by the response. Thanks all for the support!

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 11th, 2011, 2:55 pm

I have SOLD OUT of "OiATER" books. I am sorry this deal is now over. I never imagined the response this got. I apologize for any who missed the deal but I literally have no more books to sell. Thanks all for the great support!!

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 19th, 2011, 3:39 pm

I accidentally, literally, just found 4 additional copies of "OiATER" when I was looking for something else which means I have 4 more packages of "OiATER" book plus a free copy of my "In The Hands Wild Card" per the above available. I know several folks had been interested when I ran out so I wanted to let everyone know. Again just go to my webpage order the "OiATER" book and I will automatically incluide a free copy of the DVD. Thanks and Happy Holidays!!- Best Tom

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » December 20th, 2011, 7:20 am

I am SOLD OUT of "OiATER". The 4 copies I found sold out quickly yesterday. Thanks for the support and Happy Holidays !!!

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » February 2nd, 2012, 1:01 pm

I'm glad that I already have a copy. It's a killer approach to this classic effect. Plus, it's just fun to read.

Edward

Postby Edward » February 2nd, 2012, 6:47 pm

am I too late?

I hope not.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 2nd, 2012, 8:58 pm

Thanks Marc! Glad you liked it and appreciate the kind comments!

Edward: Unfortunately I am sold out of hard copies of the manuscript. Dealers should still have a few copies. (They can get them through Murphy's Magic.) I do have an electronic version available. Email me for details.

Thanks for your interest! - Tom

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » February 2nd, 2012, 9:41 pm

OiATER is a A TOTALLY AWESOME manuscript (sorry, I didn't mean to shout!).

Tom -- Is there a typo on page 40, in the "Third: Carney Time" description? The last line of the first paragraph of that section says "Replaced the last two cards FU on the deck, then spread the LH packet, taking the three R's spread in your RH, and the three R's spread in the LH. That's 6 R's and no B's. :-(

I don't have a deck of cards with me as I type this, no doubt I can work that one out quickly with cards in hand, just thought you might that one off the top of your head (too much falling off the top of MY head these days).

Or maybe you just wanted Curtis to look bad. ;-)

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 3rd, 2012, 9:14 am

Thanks Jon!

Let me check with Curtis. I'll let you know.- Tom

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 3rd, 2012, 9:54 am

Got me thinking:

What are your feelings on stopping a wildcard routine halfway through to do an oil and water?

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » February 3rd, 2012, 10:43 pm

Jon (Elion)

You're right, of course, there should be a few B's to mix with the R's. Since we culled 8 cards, 4R and 4B, at the start of the trick, and we've put two cards back FU onto the deck, (one R and one B) I deduce that the makeup of the cards in your hands at this point must be three R and three B.

Since you're going to proceed to perform John Carney's Oil and Water sequence with these cards, and that sequence requires three reds and three blacks, I'd say we're on the right track.

And since the Carney routine is a standalone sequence that has no effect on the positions of the other cards, it really doesn't matter whether the reds start in your left hand or right, I'd suggest, for everyone's sake, that the student at this point consult the Carney trick and use whatever distribution of the cards that Mr. Carney describes.

I hope that's clear enough. If not, I'll be only too happy to further clarify. Far too happy to, in fact.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » February 5th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Mahalo Curtis! I'm thinking of maybe doing a second edition. Maybe add a few things.

[quote="Jonathan Townsend"]Got me thinking:

What are your feelings on stopping a wildcard routine halfway through to do an oil and water?

Never thought about it. Obviously 2 of my favorite card plots but haven't pondered combining them.

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » September 9th, 2013, 11:43 am

So it took a while but finally a down and dirty "OiATER" performance video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYRnjL6UDnc

Return to “Light from the Lamp ONLINE.”