Looking for a multi-phase mis-made ...

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
JonP

Looking for a multi-phase mis-made ...

Postby JonP » May 18th, 2009, 12:28 pm

I'm looking for something similar to a mis-made flag with at least three phases.

The main requirements are that it needs to

a) Play for a 100 person audience

b) Not involve any "magic" props (e.g. crystal tube)

Any suggestions?

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Looking for a multi-phase mis-made ...

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 18th, 2009, 1:05 pm

The "usual" on this type of trick is to get comfortable with a dye tube - then roll up a sheet of paper/magazine/dye box...

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » May 19th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Phase 1. Produce the three silks. Phase 2. Notice that one is red, one is blue and one is yellow. Make reference to the American flag. Change the color of the yellow one to white. Phase 3. Perform blendo with the red, white and blue silks to transform them into a flag.
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » May 19th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Ronjo has one on the market but requires a change bag. For $35, it looks pretty nice, however.

Description: A very patriotic silk effect...Three silks, red, white and blue are shown to the audience. Explain that youll transform the silks into an American flag. You place the silks into a bag, but accidentally drop the blue one. Its too late! Pull out the flag, and there it is...missing the stars and the blue. Next, you put the stripes in, along with the blue and invisible stars...out comes the flag, but this time everythings reversed! The stripes are blue and white, and the field with the stars is red! The kids howl! Finally, put the reversed flag in, shout the magic words, and out comes the American flag!
The Mis Made Flag comes with 3 silk flags measuring 13 x 20., 3 silks measuring 13 1/2", and two different routines. Use your own change bag.

See illustrated ad at http://www.ronjo.com/magic/MA02270.html

While this is not normally my cup of tea, I did enjoy a presentation of it at Magi-Fest this year by redcoat Ron Spangler's daughter.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » May 19th, 2009, 4:13 pm

The size of the flags and silks used determines the size of the audience for which it can be seen.

Greer Marechal had an interesting solution which involved only the silks and flags with no other props. It was based on the Blendo.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

JonP

Postby JonP » May 19th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - but I was hoping to stay away from silks ... even when in "flag" form they are a bit "magic prop" for this audience.

Bank notes (large) - newspapers - books - etc. I can get away with but ...

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 19th, 2009, 6:42 pm

Perhaps one of those torn and restored newspapers where you can pack two restorations - the second one done after you pick up the piece or two that accidentally fell - or you produce a mismade paper?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » May 20th, 2009, 12:58 am

If you don't mind doing some "making" the entire effect could be accomplished with colored gift-wrapping tissue paper. Start with three sheets: red, white and blue. Tear red and white, dropping blue "accidentally", and so on. You'd have to make the tissue paper flags yourself, but with a glue stick and nothing much on TV, that's easily done.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

JonP

Postby JonP » May 25th, 2009, 8:58 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:Perhaps one of those torn and restored newspapers where you can pack two restorations - the second one done after you pick up the piece or two that accidentally fell - or you produce a mismade paper?

Interesting thought Jonathon - thanks. I don't know of any that allow that. Can anyone give me a name or reference to one?

JonP

Postby JonP » May 25th, 2009, 9:00 am

Spellbinder wrote:If you don't mind doing some "making" the entire effect could be accomplished with colored gift-wrapping tissue paper. Start with three sheets: red, white and blue. Tear red and white, dropping blue "accidentally", and so on. You'd have to make the tissue paper flags yourself, but with a glue stick and nothing much on TV, that's easily done.

Thanks Spellbinder - I'll think about that one too as it also deals with another issue in that if flags are used we need to end up with a French flag.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”