Dan Ryan Productions - Be warned !

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
CraigMitchell

Dan Ryan Productions - Be warned !

Postby CraigMitchell » August 25th, 2008, 12:02 pm

Has anyone dealt with "Dan Ryan Productions" http://store.fastcommerce.com/home_magicmart.html

I ordered product way back in June - they "forgot" to ship them - were supposedly sent at the start of July - my emails go unanswered and I just get an answering machine when attempting to telephone . . . needless to say no sign of the order . . .

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Dan Ryan Productions - Be warned !

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 25th, 2008, 12:36 pm

I just called on a lark and also got an answering machine. Craig, I suggest you leave them a message telling the dealer that you've posted your grievance on the Genii Forum, and send them a link to this thread as well. Shining a light sometimes brings results.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » August 25th, 2008, 1:06 pm

I can tell you from personal experience that you that this website does not even reply to repeated email inquiries about whether an item is in stock prior to ordering it.

A very strange website with even stranger checkout and, after a thorough Tri-Corder scan of the outfit, no sign of any life forms.
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » August 25th, 2008, 2:03 pm

That fascinates me ... why go to all the trouble of 'setting up shop' and then when customers come knocking - treat them like garbage.

And Richard you may be interested to know that the Google spider indexes the Genii forum VERY quickly - within 2 hours of posting, this thread ALREADY appears in the Google index & a search for "Dan Ryan Productions" now brings up this page titled "Dan Ryan Productions - Be warned !"

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 25th, 2008, 2:17 pm

The power of the internet--good for some, bad for others.

Rob Power

Postby Rob Power » April 27th, 2009, 11:06 am

Hey Guys
I'm a past active member of IBM and a full timer for the past 29 year. I'm also the president of the Toronto Clown Alley. Dan Ryan comes to each of our monthly meetings free of charge and sets up a whole magic shop in the back of the room. He brings in top of the line stuff and we could not be more grateful to have him as part of our group for the last 15 years or so. He is also a minister at his church and a more kind, gentle and honest person you will not find in this business. His business is run out of his basement which looks like a magical room of requirement - lol (probably the only group who will get that reference.) He is also a new farther who stays at home with his daughter and also volunteers to work in a group home with troubled special needs teens and adults often staying over night to supervise the house. While not always right on top of things he is a man of character I can assure you and he does not deserve the word "Warning" on this article. Yes he may have screwed up. Have you ever screwed up? been late for a gig? or forgot a gig altogether? well it's one thing to deal with the screw up and it's another thing to know that when you go to a search engine and type in your name, one of the first things that comes up is your name and the word - warning! My question is how long does this posting stay up and how can he make amends? And once he does, how can he get it taken off the web completely so that when someone does search for him, this mistake will not follow him 1 or 2 years from now?

Thanks for your time
Rob

:O)

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » April 27th, 2009, 11:16 am

"how can he get it taken off the web completely so that when someone does search for him, this mistake will not follow him 1 or 2 years from now?"

Nothing ever "drops off the internet". Even if Genii were to delete this posting it would stay cached in Google (and others) making it searchable for a very, very long time. It may not be fair - but that is the way it is.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 27th, 2009, 11:59 am

Fortunately, when Dan sends Craig his order and Craig posts about it here, that will show up on google as well.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » April 28th, 2009, 3:35 am

Rob - hopefully you can pass the message on to Dan Ryan that he should come visit the forum.

But your post says it all:

"his business is run out of his basement"

and

"While not always right on top of things"

It's patently clear from my experience that he is not capable of running an online business nor is he capable of servicing customers.

While I am delighted to hear that he works with troubled teens - I was not seeking Mother Theresa - but merely someone to fulfill a simple order.

The *only* reason I did not use a proper magic shop ( one that responds to emails and actually remembers to post an order ) was that the item I was seeking had been discontinued and Dan Ryan listed it as being available ... so from a customer service and business perspective - Dan Ryan Productions merits more than a warning - but a very strong - "take your business elsewhere" advisory based on my past experience.

Rob, you may think this is harsh - so be it. But business is harsh.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » April 28th, 2009, 9:52 am

If Dan Ryan can go to the trouble of hauling a "whole magic shop" to the back of the local amateur magic club every month he can spend a few minutes each day responding to phone calls, answering emails and sending out orders. It isn't difficult. If he doesn't have the time for that he should stop taking people's money.

If he's a minister he has an even higher level of behavior to hold to.

When you run a business - even one out of your basement - your customers come first. When you take money for goods or services you become obligated to deliver those goods or services in a timely manner. If Dan doesn't understand that he should not be in business.

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 28th, 2009, 1:28 pm

I understand that everyone wants things cheap these days. If we keep buying from these kinds of places, then the Denny and Lees -- real shops run by real pros who understand their customer's needs -- will no longer exist.

I have to be honest, the reference to forgetting a gig "altogether" -- as if it is some minor, casual mistake that should be dismissed -- annoys the hell out of me. The argument is, apparently, "so what, don't you fail your customers too?" It's like reporting a mugging only to hear "what's the big deal, haven't you mugged someone before?"

N.

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » April 28th, 2009, 1:54 pm

I was having the same thought about being late for or forgetting gigs.

Yes, I've been late for gigs...I live in the LA area and there is traffic. I have called the person who hired me and let them know what was happening and where I was and what they could expect.

I haven't been in the position where I couldn't make a gig, but have had a friend call me when he was in the hospital to cover a gig.

Professionals don't leave customers hanging without communicating. Sometimes things may happen that prevent timely communication or resolution, but I can't see justifying it by saying everyone forgets sometimes.
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Dan Ryan

Postby Dan Ryan » April 29th, 2009, 1:12 am

I am replying to this thread. As I feel that Dan Ryan Productions has been unjustly under attack. It is true that we messed up on Craig Mitchells order. We had just put up our web store he was the third person to log onto our website, I was still learning the online procedure and software for billing. And his order mistakenly ended up in the test orders. That is why no real order was sent, again a second mistake on our part. I usually have a policy to keep the privacy of our costumers, but Craig Mitchell has brought this to a public forum. Craig Mitchell learning that he had not received his order of silks had left a threatening message on our answering machine. After we heard the message we decided to cut contact with Craig Mitchell as this was not the type of costumer we would want to do further business with. Craig Mitchell was never billed, charged, or any money ever taken from him. I think you can judge for yourself how over the top and vindictive Craig Mitchell can get by his response to Rob Power. Also I believe he show his malicious agenda in his August 25 2008 2:03pm post.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for Richard Kaufman and the positive influence he has had on the magic community. I would have been excited to receive a call from him. So I could thank him for all the creative input he has had all through the world of magic. Richard you are more then welcome to call any time, the best times to call me are from 7am until 10am and from 1pm until 3pm or late evening from 10pm until 1am. We tell this to all our costumers. May I also put a plea to you to shut down this thread and start a new one called costumer service where I would be happy to share my polices and get input to how Dan Ryan Productions can continue to promote positive experiences in magic.

Ray T. Stott I am very sorry for missing your emails, I dont know why. It may have been during our transition faze or gone to our bulk emails, I am very pleased to let you know whatever the problem was has been solved. One way is email is checked several times a day, second in January 2009 all questions come immediately to my iphone so I can get back to you sooner without and missed or delayed emails.

David Alexander I totally agree with you I have a higher level of behaviour. Craig Mitchell never said I took any money from him, where are you getting your info that I have taken any money from anyone, and yes I do believe people should get the products shipped out the same day or be informed of any out of stock items that may cause of a delay. Why do you feel that I would not believe this, have you ever tried to contact me? You are very welcome to.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » April 29th, 2009, 3:46 am

Dan - the fact that you have to resort to downright lies speaks volumes:

"Craig Mitchell learning that he had not received his order of silks had left a threatening message on our answering machine"

I vehemently deny the above and recommend you substantiate your allegation. My presence on this forum is well established and 'threatening messages' isn't part of my modus operandi I'm afraid. This is nothing more than a convenient 'out' to attempt to explain away your inability to run a business.

"Also I believe he show his malicious agenda in his August 25 2008 2:03pm post. "

What malicious agenda might this be ? I don't know you, have never met you and am not in competition to you ... my motivation was purely to warn others on this forum of my torrid experience in attempting to deal with you ( and whether anyone had experienced similar ? ) and your inability to service a simple order.

You claim: "And his order mistakenly ended up in the test orders. That is why no real order was sent"

My order was placed on the 9th June ... you ignored my 3 emails sent throughout that month ... and a month later you write: "sorry I thought we sent this to you before we went on Holiday, I will make sure it is rushed out to you tomorow"

Needless to say you did no such thing - and 'forgot' to rush it out. So despite your statement that you would send it - you do freely now admit that you never did so. Who now has a credibility problem ?

My email on the 1st August also went unanswered requesting a tracking number.

The information provided here is more than enough to substantiate my case. You ignored my order and multiple emails. You ignored Ray T Stott's emails and Rob Power confirms that "His business is run out of his basement" and that you are "not always right on top of things"

I'll leave it to the populous to decide. But to resort to fictitious 'threatening messages' to attempt to explain away your inabilities in managing a business is foolhardy at best. Yes, companies mess up -- but you can't bury your head in the sand and pretend that the problem magically goes away.

P.S. You request that Richard "shut down this thread" ... censorship isn't something we usually like to follow - but the thread had died a natural death a while back - it was your friend, Rob Power, who resurrected it. I had given up on receiving my order a long time ago.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 29th, 2009, 4:38 am

Dan = 0
Craig = 1

Dan, hire someone who knows about PR. Or do you want me to fed-ex over you a shovel so you can dig yourself in deeper?

Rob Power

Postby Rob Power » April 29th, 2009, 11:58 am

all i can say is this, i've used Dan for years and compared to a normal dealer he's been great. if he doesn't have it in stock he'll look for it for you. Doesn't mean he's going to find it.
not to mention his prices are really the lowest i've ever seen on a lot of things. Ok so a basement business may not aleways be "chop-chop" when it comes to lightning fast service but hey it is what it is. I spoke to Dan last night and apparently you're not out any money. So this experiance cost you nothing. Unfortunatly as i'm to understand the negative posting will be there ...forever? wow so what have you just cost him?
think of that .... one mistake with a brand new web site while you're still learning how the program works and whammo, "Beware! of this guy" forever on the net.

all i can say is ...Nice!
:O(

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 29th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Taking eight months to get word of an issue made public on the internet at one of magic's information hubs ...

And then having "others" post whines about the matter rather than working things out behind the scenes with the OP...

As someone else put it... Nice!

<:o( (note the slightly smaller bozo nose)
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on April 29th, 2009, 12:35 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: is there an emoticon for Moe slapping Larry and Curly?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » May 16th, 2009, 6:35 pm

Dan stated that Craig was never billed nor was any money exchanged for any items. Where's the beef? I don't get it. Anyone???
Best Regards,
Ray
http://www.rayhaddad.com

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » May 17th, 2009, 5:42 am

Rob Power wrote: <snip> I spoke to Dan last night and apparently you're not out any money. So this experiance cost you nothing. Unfortunatly as i'm to understand the negative posting will be there ...forever? wow so what have you just cost him?
think of that .... one mistake with a brand new web site while you're still learning how the program works and whammo, "Beware! of this guy" forever on the net.

all i can say is ...Nice!
:O(

You're obviously overlooking, IMHO, Ryan's prevarication about the threatening phone call. To make a mistake is one thing, to give a customer anxiety is another, to ignore them after speaking to them is beyond the pale. That he's a minister isn't germane to the conversation. What matters is that a potential customer was ignored, and when that fact was made apparent, the customer was ignored again. Then the shopkeeper makes up a story to rationalize his ineptitude when confronted in a public forum. I'd say Craig Mitchell was 100% correct in his assessment and was doing the readership here a favor by alerting them.

All I can say is, thanks, Craig!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 17th, 2009, 6:25 am

Ray Haddad wrote: I don't get it.

Some things never change.

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » May 17th, 2009, 8:15 am

Let me get this straight yet again. He's a customer but never paid for something he didn't get and he wants to moan about it. I can easily see why Damian would find that noble but the rest of you should give it more thought.

There's only the testimony of one guy who never lost anything declaring that there was any anxiety at all. He never paid Ryan any money. Why does he expect to get goods from him? Sheer good will?

I can see it now. "Well, I wanted to order something and couldn't. Send it or I will post nasty things about you on Genii." How foolish can you get? Why anyone can support his point of view is just laughable. Except for Damian. He hates everybody.
Best Regards,

Ray

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » May 17th, 2009, 8:39 am

Ray;
I think if you read this thread, you'll see several posters got it.
Just imagine for one moment that you wanted something and ordered it. But what you didn't know was that you ordered it from a site that maybe would take your order and maybe wouldn't. and that, despite repeated attempts at contact, you couldn't find out if they were going to send it to you. So you wouldn't know whether to hold on, or whether to order it from someone else.
Sure, that isn't as bad as if they took your money and didn't send you anything.
But it would annoy me. And I'd like to be told about such unreliable dealers.
Further, I'd like to be warned that such dealers might make posts accusing me of making "threatening calls".
But I think it is also useful to hear that others have not had that problem.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 17th, 2009, 9:25 am

Ray Haddad wrote: Except for Damian. He hates everybody.

I can understand this is confusing, but you're not in alt.magic now, this is a proper forum. To try and behave accordingly, dear. Put the past behind you.

Here, most people make points, and counterpoints without calling people names and the other behaviour you're more used to.

I reckon calling the owner of this board's views laughable isn't the best of moves.

Welcome to Genii.

PS I'd check your rayhaddad.com website, unless you are intentionally redirecting to porn?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 17th, 2009, 11:56 am

Damien, both rayhaddad.com and perthmagic.com bring you to magic websites, neither is porn. Unless you were making a joke.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 17th, 2009, 12:17 pm

When I went to the FAQ link on rayhaddad.com, I got a strong google advisory warning http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/ ... d.com/faq/
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 17th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Damien, both rayhaddad.com and perthmagic.com bring you to magic websites, neither is porn. Unless you were making a joke.

www.rayhaddad.com DID direct me to a porn site. I wasn't making a joke, just trying to help him out.

Seems he has fixed the hijack now, which is great. Hope it wasn't like that for too long. If you look for 'ray haddad' on google images, you will see blank holes where the cache was gone, so awfully it might have been redirecting to adult sites for a while.

I assure you it *was* earlier going to a porn site though. I am a mischievous imp from time to time, but I wouldn't joke about something like that.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 17th, 2009, 12:49 pm

In fact, I just went there to try and see the FAQ bug and it gave me this

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 17th, 2009, 12:51 pm

I would advise NO-ONE running Windows to check the site as it's malware.

This means merely visiting the site could mess you up.

Doing a quick traceroute shows he is hosting with Servage. Sadly, a hosting company famous for being hacked as a quick google search shows. They have several well documented vulnerabilities.

I've sent Ray a PM here warning him.

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » May 17th, 2009, 6:19 pm

Thanks for the PM, Damian, but the site was cleaned over a two months ago (not one month as I told you in PM). I had to check the dates again because I believed I fixed it only a month ago. Time does fly. Clear out your cache. Google reports it as clean. There's no need to panic, Damian. Your computer is safe.

Perhaps it's your MAC's cache that needs to be cleaned? It's not as easy to clean as the Windows cache so if you need help, let me know.

Back to the topic, why, if the general consensus is that Ryan is not someone to be avoided, are we continuing to see ominous rumblings over a non-incident that can't be proven either way except for the basic facts?

1. He never lost any money.

2. He didn't receive things he didn't pay for.

All seems to be well in magic land. Yet we still see rumblings.
Best Regards,

Ray

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » May 17th, 2009, 7:40 pm

How about basic customer service?

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » May 17th, 2009, 8:33 pm

That would be:

1. Order something and pay for it.
2. Seller ships items paid for.

What's so hard about that? Step one was never completed. Nothing was ordered and nothing was paid. Simple.
Best Regards,

Ray

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » May 17th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Yes, simple...

BlueEyed Videot

Postby BlueEyed Videot » May 17th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Ray, you wouldn't happen to know Thomas Wayne from a past life, would you? This is turning into the thread from hell. For a minute there I thought I was on the Magic Cafe... :)

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » May 17th, 2009, 11:00 pm

Sorry to upset you Richard but those who can think can see. Those who can't, complain.
Best Regards,

Ray

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » May 17th, 2009, 11:14 pm

mrgoat wrote:I would advise NO-ONE running Windows to check the site as it's malware.

This means merely visiting the site could mess you up.

I owe you one, Damian. I downloaded every script on the site and found a base64 encoded javascript that was pointing to the site you discovered. It had been placed (embedded, that is) into the header by another smaller script which I found as well and removed. Both bugs are smashed and safeguards have been taken to keep it from happening again. Until those idiots who enjoy such things can work another game, that is.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. It took a bit of effort but it's always nice to slay another monster. There was a reason it only happened to you though. OSX is vulnerable to some javascript attacks but there is a patch out there. Windows XP, SP3 has been patched for the attack already.
Best Regards,

Ray

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » May 18th, 2009, 12:45 am

OMG! :eek: What planet am I on. Did I just see Ray Haddad thank Damian (mrgoat) for something? I've been following their interactions since the early days of alt.magic in the last millennium and can now die in peace. Next thing you know Ray & Mitch Leary will form a friendship.

(I know this won't mean a thing to most of you but those who were there are probably just as shocked as I am.)

JMD

BlueEyed Videot

Postby BlueEyed Videot » May 18th, 2009, 2:15 am

No upset at all, Ray, after all, you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » May 18th, 2009, 3:49 am

ray please do yourself a favour and actually read my post. This is tiresome. Anyone with any modicum of intelligence can follow the sequence of events. The merchant in question took my order - and payment details - gave me the run around for months on end with promises that the order was being shipped ... And then never did so. the business is run from his basement and he then resorts to fabrications to justify his non existent customer service. The post was merely a warning to other potential customers regarding my experience. Simple ? I think so and so does nearly everyone else. Go troll elsewhere ...

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 18th, 2009, 5:09 am

Ray Haddad wrote:There was a reason it only happened to you though. OSX is vulnerable to some javascript attacks but there is a patch out there. Windows XP, SP3 has been patched for the attack already.

Got a link for the fix or any mention at all of this as I can't find anything and am now really, really worried?

Ray Haddad

Postby Ray Haddad » May 18th, 2009, 8:54 am

John M. Dale wrote:Next thing you know Ray & Mitch Leary will form a friendship.

John, Mitch and I have been friends since he arrived in alt.magic. You don't really know how that works. Right?

Alt.magic is a public forum. Some of us communicate using that old fashioned thing called e-mail in addition to communicating on USENET. Makes things more real, if you know what I mean. Damian never got the hang of it. He just started out mean and stayed that way.
Best Regards,

Ray

Return to “Buzz”