A tip for carrying/storing cups and balls

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Tony Rush

A tip for carrying/storing cups and balls

Postby Tony Rush » April 6th, 2009, 12:12 pm

This might not be an earth-shattering tip but hopefully it'll be of service. It was to me.

When I first got interested in magic back in the early 90s, I saw a lot of the guys in the magic store who brought in their cups/balls in a cloth bag with a drawstring. This seemed to be the most common method for carrying the cups.

I ordered some copper Charlie Miller cups from Magic, Inc. and I had the option to buy a leather, felt-lined case. When it showed up, I was so pleased -- it was much more secure than a bag and they didn't rattle around. You just dropped the balls in, stacked the cups up and closed the top.

Anyway, long story short, I was working at a newspaper at the time and had the cups with me at work one day. A guy came by and said, "I didn't know you were into photography." I said, "I'm not." He said, "Oh. Whose lens is this?"

Turns out, that the case that I'd received from Magic, Inc. was a professional lens case used by photographers. And it's perfect. The one I have is embossed on top with "127mm F4.7" which I'm sure means something to those familiar with camera lenses. :) I just know it's the perfect size for the Miller cups....and that apparently many such lens cases are made in a variety of sizes. So, no matter what cups you use, you can probably find a leather, felt-lined lens case that will work for you.

Anyway, I'm a long-time lurker and recently decided to start participating. So, I hope my contribution is of service to someone. Thank you for all you contributions that have served me. :)

Tony
Last edited by Tony Rush on April 6th, 2009, 12:15 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: misspelling

Kent Gunn

Re: A tip for carrying/storing cups and balls

Postby Kent Gunn » April 6th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Tony,

I've used lens covers to tote my cups for years. I thought I was the only one. I do it because I work for a camera company and have access to lens covers of varying sizes. They are expensive if actually bought with the lens inside though!

Damian Odess-Gillett

Postby Damian Odess-Gillett » April 7th, 2009, 2:18 am

Great tip! Thanks, Tony.

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » April 13th, 2009, 12:21 am

That's a fine idea. I'll have to see if the my local camera shop carries lens cases. In the mean time, I've been using this (to good effect):

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=3

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 13th, 2009, 3:26 pm

I've had really good luck at garage sales over the years in finding lens cases and camera bags really cheap!

GO

Return to “Close-Up Magic”