Looking for a definition of "manipulation"

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
D. Smith

Looking for a definition of "manipulation"

Postby D. Smith » September 23rd, 2008, 9:37 am

Guys! Figured you guys probably have just the kind of sources (or ideas where I could start looking) to try to pin down a definition for "manipulation". Hopefully one that's published, so I can cite it.

Why a definition for it? Well... Because I feel like it's the starting block to try to improve the Wikipedia article on "Card Magic". Which is right now termed "Card Manipulation". The article is in serious need of clean-up. I'm not interested in adding to Wikipedia because I want to expose anything -- not at all. What I'm interested in doing is taking some pride in card magic and giving it the kind of 'encyclopedic reference' that embodies our collective craftsmanship that we practice daily. And if there's one thing I'm pretty sure I can assume about the guys reading this article (that are into card magic): You practice the living hell out of your card magic, to perfection.

If you feel like taking a look yourself, or even trying to contribute to the topic, it's here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_manipulation

Anyways, I wanted to start by defining "manipulation" so I can consolidate the manipulation related items in the article, and rename it to "Card Magic" which I think refers to the broader world of card magic at large. Unless "Oil and Water" and "The 21 Card Trick" are manipulations, or maybe I'm all mixed up and all those card vanishes and productions Channing Pollock performed were self-working ;)

Any ideas of websites, books, dvds, name it which might help me come to a jagon-term specific definition would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, *thumbs up!!*
"While you guys were in the back of a '57 Chevy, I was in my room [shuffling cards]!"
-Tom Mullica

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Looking for a definition of "manipulation"

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 23rd, 2008, 9:43 am

Simple enough: It looks (to the audience) like you are doing it with your hands.

This as distinct from our craft which involves making sure any manipulations used to acheive the mechanics of a trick are well hidden and unsuspected.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on September 23rd, 2008, 9:53 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: added frame of reference clarification

chaz99

Postby chaz99 » April 1st, 2009, 8:18 pm

I too am astounded at the level of expertise that it takes to tenkai, back p., etc.. I am currently trying to become proficient wih 12-20 cards at a time.... difficult :(

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 1st, 2009, 8:38 pm

if you want "difficult" - learn to juggle. Even the simple three pattern with different size and weighted objects is quite a challenge.

now if you want a real challenge: find a "Just so" for some of the magic prop juggling you know to make something magical rather than just clever happen with those skills.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “Reference Room”