Carolina Close-up Convention

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Scott Robinson

Postby Scott Robinson » March 1st, 2009, 9:17 pm

(The East Coast Super Session)

Im pleased to announce Carolina Close-up Convention is still going strong! The convention has been in existence for the past 3 years (under a couple of different names) and has always been host to some great talent such as Fisher, Asher, Wagner, Gallo, Kosby, Skutt, England and many others.

Moving forward - I'll be hosting the event and I am very excited about the potential this little convention has to offer. All the talent is already booked and we have some special events that I hope you will find just a bit different from the norm.

Here are the details . . .

Date/Location
October 2nd and 3rd 2009
Charlotte University Holiday Inn
8520 University Exec Park Dr
Charlotte, NC 28262

Talent

Im very excited about the line-up. I believe we have hit a great balance between established names and new Up and Comers. I hope you agree . . .

Eric DeCamps
Steve Beam
Nathan Kranzo
Tyler Wilson
Geoff Williams

Special Events

New Comer Lecture I think this has the potential of being something special. Each year moving forward the New Comer Lecture will feature someone who is unknown to the masses but will be a familiar name to those in the know. The goal here is to give someone a chance to get some of the recognition they deserve as an innovator/creator of magic. The identity of the lecturer will remain a mystery up until the time they are introduced. This years New Comer will not disappoint.

One Trick Pony Contest the goal for convention is to emphasize the Innovation, Creativity and Exploration within the Art. With that in mind we have put together a contest focused on those aspects. The One Trick Pony Contest is all about innovation whether in effect, method or presentation. In other words this contest focuses on originality. Make sure you check out the website for detail - however I do want to mention what first prize will be so you know that your efforts will be rewarded. We have arranged for 3 nights accommodation (room only) in Las Vegas or Orlando. Not bad for a small convention!

Social Jam Hour (Hosted by Eric Jones) A few years ago I lectured at The Second Deal convention in Atlanta. One of the highlights was a session hosted by Paul Cummins that allowed everyone to share a move, trick or idea they had created or discovered with the group in a formal manner. With permission from Jason Alford we are taking the same concept and expanding it to encompass all of facets of close-up magic. Eric Jones will be hosting the event.

The Sleight Club Lecture This will be the third year that the The Sleight Club (a local group of magic thinkers) will present a new lecture at the Carolina Close-up Convention. To see what Ray Kosby, Eric Jones and Aaron Delong have to say about the The Sleight Club take a look at the following post http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=274071&forum=31

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=227448&forum=30&post=5225705

Of course we will also have a few dealers including Freds Books and Tony Miller from RFA Productions.

As you can see we have a great line-up and some cool events.

I hope you will make it!

For more details and registration information please visit Http://www.tricsconvention.com .

Majik by boB

Re: Carolina Close-up Convention

Postby Majik by boB » March 2nd, 2009, 10:04 am

Wow - I have had the good fortune of attending all three previous years. They were phenomenal, but this year's talent and revised format is only going to be better!
If you have not witnessed a Sleight Club lecture, you are in for a real treat. Al Schneider (one of last year's talent) said that Genii ought to do an article around their unique style and vision.
I can't wait...
boB

hagemagic

Postby hagemagic » March 2nd, 2009, 3:59 pm

I'll be there. Can't wait!

ChastainCriswell

Postby ChastainCriswell » March 3rd, 2009, 4:51 pm

If you ask me no one is better suited to run this convention. Just Look at the talent! INCREDIBLE! I can't wait!

Silly Walter

Postby Silly Walter » March 3rd, 2009, 6:17 pm

That's a great line up. When you say "little convention", how many people normally attend?
Silly Walter The Polar Bear

Scott Robinson

Postby Scott Robinson » March 3rd, 2009, 7:55 pm

We like to keep it small - normally less than 40. Of course I hope to change that.

-Scott

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » March 4th, 2009, 1:29 am

hagemagic wrote:I'll be there. Can't wait!

Sounds great, Scott. I hope to make it, too.

Scott Robinson

Postby Scott Robinson » March 4th, 2009, 12:26 pm

Steve

I hope you make it - it's been probably 15 years (or more) since I have seen you. Do try to make it!

AaronFisher

Postby AaronFisher » March 5th, 2009, 8:50 pm

I for one had a GREAT time at this little party! Good on Ya boys for keeping it going!
Card Magic and Beyond

http://www.aaronfishermagic.com

Scott Robinson

Postby Scott Robinson » May 23rd, 2009, 10:55 am

Quick Update

With Fred's Books not being able to attend this year I need to find another book dealer. Well we have added a new dealer! One of the top book dealers around, H & R Books will be attending.

Should be a good time.

-Scott

www.tricsconvention.com

hagemagic

Postby hagemagic » August 14th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Just a few weeks away. See everyone there October 2-3. Get your sleep now.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » September 12th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Bumped to add -

Just three weeks away! The line up looks awesome this year, and we have an amazing public show added, too.

See you all there!

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » October 4th, 2009, 6:40 pm

A great weekend! Scott Robinson & Company hit a home run on this one. Can't wait until next year.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » October 5th, 2009, 12:50 pm

It was a great time. Lots of fun, laughs and good magic. I loved the idea of a public close up/parlor show. More conventions should incoroporate this concept into their schedules.

It was a pleasure and a privledge for me to share the stage with Tyler Wilson, Geoff Wiiliams and Nathan Kranzo. All terrific performers.

Thanks to Scott Robinson and the rest if the Sleight Club for all of their hard in putting this together.

Eric DeCamps

Return to “Buzz”