Magic Cigarette Card Collection

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Kevin Connolly

Magic Cigarette Card Collection

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 15th, 2009, 9:06 pm

I'm finally going take some time and get a cigarette collection that I bought years ago in order. I was wondering if anyone else collects these. I know I have seen a lecture in Chicago on them. I never kept with cards, except for buying the books on them. Does anyone here collect these?
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Bill Mullins

Re: Magic Cigarette Card Collection

Postby Bill Mullins » February 15th, 2009, 9:56 pm

I do. Several years ago, at the "Gathering for [Martin] Gardner", my exchange gift contribution was a booklet on cigarette and puzzle trading cards.

Chris Pratt and Burton Sperber have also done monographs on the subject.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 15th, 2009, 10:30 pm

I have ones from Patrick Lindley and Chris Pratt, but not from Burton Sperber. Is the Sperber one from the Miracle series?
Please visit my website.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 15th, 2009, 10:42 pm

I believe so.

Is the Patrick Lindley one xeroxed, with a green cover? If it's what I'm thinking of, I had forgotten it.

There was also a series of articles in Magic a few years ago (Jun, Jul Aug 2001)reproducing the Dukes Cigarette card series, and others.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 15th, 2009, 10:56 pm

That's the one. It seems like none of them are complete though. I have about 20 cards that are not mentioned in any of them.

Maybe I should put a new book out on them? With a limited edition of 2. ;)
Last edited by Kevin Connolly on February 15th, 2009, 10:57 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Pinhead
Please visit my website.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 20th, 2009, 1:11 am

Okay, here's a start at a bibliography:

Books/monographs

Conjuring Cartophily a lecture delivered by Patrick Lindley. Chicago: Magic Collectors Convention, 1988. Signed and numbered, of 100 copies. 6" x 8-1/4", green paper cover, B&W, 16 pp.

An Introduction to Magic Theme Trade Cards Robert A. Olson. Putnam, CT: Self-published, 1999. 8-1/2" x 11", yellow paper cover, tape binding, B&W, 24 pp.

Cartophily and Magic Chris Pratt. Self-published, 1997. 6" x 8-1/4", color cover and glossy pages with color illustrations, 16 pp.

Cartophily Burton Sperber. A Real Miracle #12. Malibu, CA: self-published, 1995. 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", board cover and pages, color cover and pages, 12 pp.

Articles:

Sphinx 11/1946. Stanley Collins and Jimmy Findlay, "For Bibliophiles Only"

Fifth Collectors Annual 1953. Morris Young, "Magic Premiums in Promotion of American Industrial Products"

Magic Cauldron #48, 1973. Topper Martyn, [Liebig cards and Magic]

Abra #1717, 12/1978. Clifford Hough, "Cartophily and Magic"

Magicol #86, 1988. Patrick Lindley, "Cigarette Card Collecting and the Magician"

Magic 6-8/2001. See post above.

Also of interest would be James Hagy's books on Magic for Free

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 20th, 2009, 1:23 am

WOW!!! I'm just heading off to bed. I'll need a nights rest to wrap my brain around that list.

You did some very nice research.
I, for one, am impressed.
Please visit my website.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 20th, 2009, 9:02 am

Well, it looks-like there hasn't been a booklet produced in 10 years. Maybe it's time for a new one? With all the titles you have above, it would be a great start.

I always thought these cards would be a nice addition to any magic collection. With most sets selling for less than $100, you could put a nice group together.

Bill, again, you did a great job on the bibliography.
Please visit my website.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 20th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Updates/edits:

Articles:

Magic 6/2001 "Tricks of the Trade Cards," John Moehring
Magic 7/2001 "Tricks of the Trade Cards: Part Two," John Moehring
Magic 8/2001 "Tricks of the Trade Cards: Part Three," John Moehring

The Wrapper #27. "Blackstones Magic Tricks," John Neuner

The Wrapper #134 Oct 1995. "New Discoveries (Trick Cards)" Robert Foster

The Wrapper #178 Apr 2001. "Bazooka Joe Cards 1976 (the back variations)" Ron Wilson [no, not the Scot magician]

The Wrapper #196 Jul 2003. "Thurston Magic Box of Candy (R183)" Chuck Ross.

The Wrapper #211 May 2005. "Puzzles and Tricks (New info on R119)" by Hugh Jones

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 20th, 2009, 1:35 pm

Here's the page Joe Pcore created on Magicpedia. Information by Bill Mullins. You can add your information here.

Magic Cartophily
Last edited by Kevin Connolly on February 20th, 2009, 1:37 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Old Age
Please visit my website.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » February 20th, 2009, 3:49 pm

HERE is a really nice set of American magic cigarette cards. These are the ones featured in the 2001 Magic articles.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 22nd, 2009, 9:27 pm

I had the Duke cards at one time. They were probably the best cards I ever saw. (not including Houdini cards :whistle:)
Last edited by Kevin Connolly on February 22nd, 2009, 9:28 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Shifting Keyboard
Please visit my website.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 27th, 2009, 8:14 pm

I'm trying to get my magic cigarette and trade cards in order. I'm looking for the "Number Prediction" card from the "Oreo: Unlocking The Magic Series". I could use 16 of them. I will buy outright or trade for other duplicates in my collection.

Thanks,
Kevin

PS I put this post here because of the thread. If the mods want to move it to collecting, feel free.
Please visit my website.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 28th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Now I'm working on on Blackstone, JR. Here's my entry:

Jiffy Pop Popcorn Blackstone, JR. Present 1970s(?) 4 Cards Complete( I think) Condition: Fine

Also, the Dunkin' Donut set from 1983. How may? etc.

Anyone have any info on these cards?

Thanks,
Kevin
Please visit my website.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » February 28th, 2009, 7:06 pm

KC,
No info on your cards but I have a question for you on a Blackstone, Sr card that I own.

It looks like it was just printed and, purportedly, was included in packs of Fatima cigarettes.

I paid $995.00 for it on eBay. The seller told me that he was a recognized expert in this area and has made me many offers to purchase the Houdini photograph that is inscribed in green ink with no signature that he occasionally lists on eBay...are you familiar with that photograph?

Before I buy the photo, I would be grateful for your thoughts on the B'stone card.

The card is sepia tone and shows Blackstone, wearing his full dress suit, riding an electric bull at some vaudeville theater called "Gilley's", located in Pasadena, Texas.

The seller told me that Gilley's" was a chain of theaters belonging to Keith-Albee and I likely couldn't find anything about them as they went broke in 1930.

It's a great card and B'stone is holding the electric bull's reins wearing white kid gloves in one hand and waving his opera hat, just like cowboys do, in the other and is captioned with "Yee Haw From Bronco Harry!"

Thank you for your advise before I invest in his Houdini photograph.
Thanks!
Ray
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » February 28th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Ray,

I don't about the Blackstone SR. card. I can't see it listed in the books that i have on collecting these things. No mention on Fatima/Blackstone in them. What size is the card? How old does he look in the photo? White hair?

I have seen the photo. From Europe/UK? It's a head shot, inscribed with green ink. The problem is, that Houdini forgot to sign it. With all the Houdini guys/nuts out there, why hasn't it been snatched up? The photo looks legit to me, but the big drawback is no signature.

Hope this helps you more than hurts you. :)

Kevin
Please visit my website.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 1st, 2009, 3:40 am

Kevin Connolly wrote:I'm trying to get my magic cigarette and trade cards in order. I'm looking for the "Number Prediction" card from the "Oreo: Unlocking The Magic Series". I could use 16 of them.

For completeness sake, the other three titles in this set of four are "Four Sided Magic Card," "Magic Seeing Fingers," and "Magic Changing Cards."

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 1st, 2009, 2:46 pm

Any extra "Number Predictions"? I could use 16 of them.
Please visit my website.

Robert A. Olson

Postby Robert A. Olson » March 2nd, 2009, 12:08 am

Good Day, In all the info on the thread, the name of the cigarette cards that you have was not listed. Are they a mixed lot, or all from one company? Hope all goes well with you.
Best regards, RAOlson

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 2nd, 2009, 3:34 pm

Kevin Connolly wrote:Any extra "Number Predictions"? I could use 16 of them.
Sorry, no. Why would you want 16 of them? Even if you had, say, 4 complete sets to trade away, wouldn't that completely saturate the world market? As collectibles go, these aren't up there with the Albo books or a gen-u-wine set of Houdini Handcuffs.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 2nd, 2009, 4:16 pm

I wouldn't have to sell them all at one time. ;) And now is the time the cheap stuff is selling.

I don't think it there are only four cigarette collectors out there. There's 3 in this thread alone. Besides, I had that many inquiries to sell my collection when I'm done cataloging.
Please visit my website.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 2nd, 2009, 4:23 pm

Kevin Connolly wrote:Now I'm working on on Blackstone, JR. Here's my entry:

Jiffy Pop Popcorn Blackstone, JR. Present 1970s(?) 4 Cards Complete( I think) Condition: Fine

There are several Jiffy Pop/Blackstone Jr sets. I have:

1. Round set (5" in dia). Has 4 different.

2. Rectangular set with square corners (4" x 4-1/4"). Set title "Magic Packs" (from notation on front of each card: "Be Sure to Collect all 4 Magic Packs")

3. Square with clipped corners. Cards are basically 4-1/4" square, but the upper right corner is clipped at a 45 deg. angle, and the other three corners are rounded with a radius of about 1-1/4". I have 4 different.

4. Square with circus tent top. These are about 4-1/4" square, with bottom two corners rounded as above, and top two corners clipped so the top looks like a circus tent. I've only got one of these, but the text says there are 4 different.

5. Similar, but not magic. "Blackstone, Jr.'s Magic Monster Decoder". 4-1/4" square with 4 rounded corners as above. Punch out decoder wheels on front, punch out dinosaurs on back. Set of 4.

Other Blackstone Jr. stuff:

"Blackstone's Surprise Magic". Round, 2-1/4" diameter, from 7-11 stores. These look like they were part of a soft drink cup's bottom or top. Die cut/punch out. I've only got 3 diff, but they say "Collect all 15". I also have, in a similar format one of a set of ten "Betchas".

Blackstone Sr.:

"Blackstone's Magic Trick Gum", 1962, from Philadelphia Chewing Gum Co. Set of 24 paper folders (2-1/2 x 3-1/2") with paper props.

The above set was a partial reissue of "Amazing Magic Tricks," from PCGC ca. 1953. The first set has more than 24 tricks (the highest # I have is #41), and does not have Blackstone associated with it.

Blackstone Sr. also appears in a set of trading cards issued by Abbott's ("Off the Wall at Abhott's", 1999.)

Also, the Dunkin' Donut set from 1983. How may? etc.
I've got 3 diff: "Chase the Magic Ace," "4 Sided Magic Card Trick," "Magic Hat Trick".

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 2nd, 2009, 4:53 pm

Thanks for the info. I think that's what I have in Dunkin' Donuts too.

With the Blackstone Philly set, would you include the poster too? I would think you would have to have the 8 different wrappers that each sold a different trick.
Please visit my website.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 2nd, 2009, 4:58 pm

Kevin Connolly wrote:With the Blackstone Philly set, would you include the poster too? I would think you would have to have the 8 different wrappers that each sold a different trick.

Would I include it? I don't quite know what you mean. I don't have one, or the box, or any of the mail in tricks. I have 2 or 3 different wrappers, and an unopened pack.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 2nd, 2009, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Also, the Dunkin' Donut set from 1983. How may? etc.I've got 3 diff: "Chase the Magic Ace," "4 Sided Magic Card Trick," "Magic Hat Trick"

Add to that " Magic Seeing Fingers"

I just found another Dunkin' Donuts / Blackstone series from 1989. This one doesn't look easy to figure out.

Any info on "Mind Reading Magic" by Troll Communications 1987(?).? I THINK it's just one card issue.
Please visit my website.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 2nd, 2009, 5:14 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:
Kevin Connolly wrote:With the Blackstone Philly set, would you include the poster too? I would think you would have to have the 8 different wrappers that each sold a different trick.

Would I include it? I don't quite know what you mean. I don't have one, or the box, or any of the mail in tricks. I have 2 or 3 different wrappers, and an unopened pack.

I meant that if one was writing a description for a complete set, the 8 wrappers should be with the cards. The poster would be different, as it was only one was inserted in to each box for advertising.
Please visit my website.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 6th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Here's what I have.

Magic And Related

Cigarette And Trade Cards

Brooke Bond Unexplained Mysteries 1987 - 40 Cards Complete Condition: Near Mint/Mint

Cadet Sweets How? 1968 25 Cards Complete Condition: Near Mint/Mint

Card Publications Limited David Nixons Magic Cooking Cards 20 Cards With 4 Blank Cards + 1 Magic Cooking Promotions Card And Card Sleeve 1968 Complete Condition: Fine

Carreras Ltd. Amusing Tricks 1937 50 Cards Complete Condition: Near Mint/Mint

Chewing Gum Ltd., A. & B.C. Magic 1967 - 36 Cards Complete Condition: Extremely Fine

Chix Confectionery Co. Ltd. T.V. And Radio Stars 1954 1 Card - David Nixon, #59 Condition: Near Mint

Churchman, W.A. & A.C. Interesting Experiments 1929 25 Cards Complete Condition: Very Fine

Churchman, W.A. & A.C. In Town To-Night 1938 50 Cards Complete Condition: Extremely Fine

Confex Inc. Fun Stuff Nasty Tricks 1990 Unopened Wax Box Condition: Very Fine

Coopers Tea Mysteries & Wonders Of The World Second Series of 25 Cards 26 through 50 1961(?) Complete Series Condition: Near Mint

Drapkin, Major & Co. Optical Illusions (Type 1) 1926 25 Cards - Complete Condition: Very Fine

Drapkin, Major & Co. Optical illusions (Type 2) 1926 25 Cards - Complete Condition: Extremely Fine

Drapkin, Major & Co. Optical illusions (Type 3) 1926 25 Cards - Complete Size: 65mm X 80mm - Condition: Extremely Fine

Drapkin, Major & Co. Palmistry 1927 25 Cards - Complete Condition: Very Fine

Drapkin, Major & Co. Palmistry 1927 25 Cards Size: 65mm X 80mm - Complete Condition: Very Fine

Drapkin, Major & Co. Puzzle Pictures 1926 25 Cards - Complete Condition: Extremely Fine

Dunkin Donuts Blackstone Magic Tricks 1983 4 Cards Complete Condition: Very Fine

Edwards, Ringer & Bigg Optical Illusions 1936 25 Cards Complete Condition: Very Fine

Escape Cards International Inc. The Dean Gunnarson Collection 1991 - 40 Cards + 1 Order + 1 Authenticity Cards Complete Condition: New

Faulkner, W&F Optical Illusions 1935 25 Cards Complete Condition: Extremely Fine

Gallaher Ltd. Tricks & Puzzles Series 1913 100 Cards Complete Green Backs Condition: Very Fine

Gallaher Ltd. Tricks & Puzzles Series 1933 100 Cards Complete Black Backs Condition: Extremely Fine

Hill Ltd. (R&J) Puzzle Series 1937 50 Cards Complete Condition: Near Mint

Klosterman Baking Co. Ken Klostermans Favorite Magic Tricks 1992 4 Cards, Series # 1, 2, 3 And 4 Complete(?) Condition: Very Fine

Gold Flake Honeydew Cigarettes Magical Puzzles 1938 - 50 cards Complete - Condition: Very Fine

Lloyd & Son (Richard) Tricks & Puzzles 1935 25 Cards Complete Condition: Near Mint

Morris & Sons Ltd. (B) Shadowgraphs 1925 24 Cards Complete Condition: Very Fine

Nabisco Oreo: Unlock The Magic 1991 4 Cards Complete Condition: Extremely Fine

Phillips Ltd, Godfrey Optical Illusions 1927 25 Cards Complete Condition: Extremely Fine

Salmon & Gluckstein Magical Series 1923 25 cards Complete Condition: Very Fine

Schutter-Johnson Candy Corp. Im Going To Be 1935 1 card Magician, #17 Condition: Fine

Sharp & Sons (Edward) Hey Presto 1970 25 Cards Complete - Condition: Near Mint/Mint

Troll Communications L.L.C. Mind Reading Magic 1987(?) 1 Card Issued Condition: Very Fine

WTE Movie Poster Cards 1991- 20 Cards Complete I think the images were lifted from an auction catalog and produced in this format. Condition: Near Mint

Miscellaneous

Collectable Tins, UK Amusing Tricks / Carreras 1980s Complete 3 Tins Issued Condition: Very Fine

McDonalds 2 Pre-Punched Magic Trick Cards 1977 Condition: Very Fine

9 Puzzle Cards From the 1880s Find The Person Or Object In The Scene By Eye. At Least One With Heat Condition: Very Good

Merrimack Publishing Corp. Magic Picture Valentine Postcards 1960s(?) Complete 6 Cards Still Sealed Condition: Extremely Fine

Topps Chewing Gum, Inc. The Amazing World Of Magic 1976 9 Different cards Condition: Very Good

Wonder Bread 10 Cards 1974 Condition: Fine - #s 2, 5, 8, 9, 11(2), 15 And Two(2) Checklists
Please visit my website.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”