Copperfield Review Waco TX 2/24/09

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Paul Q

Copperfield Review Waco TX 2/24/09

Postby Paul Q » February 25th, 2009, 11:26 am

My wife and I saw David's show last night. I have seen DC live 5 times. Twice in the 80's, once in the 90's and 2 years ago in Austin. The show was the same as 2 years ago minus 'PORTAL' and plus 'THE FAN'. There has been a purposeful, presentational change over the last few years, (since David Blaine?). Copperfield was known for having beautiful women in his vignettes and there was the subtext of romance in these routines. Last night there were NO women assistants on stage and no costuming. There were up to four males on stage, dressed in black, moving apparati, and several male and female helpers in the audience guiding spectators to the stage. The famous 'Poses' are largely gone and the atmosphere is quite casual. I hate to say it...I mean I HATE to say it because I have admired David's work, but there was a 'going thru the motions' feel that seemed more aloof than casual. More than once an onstage spectator didn't follow David's instructions because they couldn't hear his lazy, mumbling dialogue. Don't get me wrong, there were laughs and astonishment but the vibe has changed. There was more of a 'resting on your laurels' vibe than a 'hungry' one. That being said, here's what he did.

SHADOW BOX MOTORCYCLE APPEARANCE
UNTWISTING YOUR ARMS
SHEET OF STEEL PENETRATION
RING FLIGHT W/BABY SHOE
DANCING AND SINGING TIE
SQUEEZE BOX
DUCK BUCKET
LIVE SCORPION CARD TRICK
PREDICTION BOX/GRANDFATHER'S CAR APPEARANCE
KEVIN JAMES' FLOATING ROSE
THE FAN
13 (DISSAPPEARANCE OF AUDIENCE MEMBERS)

The run time of the show was 80 minutes including videos at the begining and mid-show. there was no intermission.

My advise to David, You have money, take a year off. Chill at your island. Then get back together with Chris and Homer and dream again, get hungry again. Blow us away again.
Do away with the promo videos telling us of your accomplishments, awards, knighthoods and millions. That is the past. Come onstage and earn it like we don't know who you are. Bring us into your world. You have done it before. Do it again.

Grace and Peace

Chris Aguilar

Re: Copperfield Review Waco TX 2/24/09

Postby Chris Aguilar » February 25th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Paul Q wrote: I mean I HATE to say it because I have admired David's work, but there was a 'going thru the motions' feel that seemed more aloof than casual.

I went with a group of people (all laymen) to see DC 4-5 years ago and our consensus opinion was pretty much in line with your experience.

Some really good effects (laser cutting in half) were ruined by bad lighting and indifferent execution. DC seemed detached to the point that one friend even mentioned "phoning it in". Disappointing for my particular group of long time DC fans.

Your advice to DC seems spot on.

magicman1953

Postby magicman1953 » February 25th, 2009, 1:18 pm

Hate to say it but I also agree, Paul is spot on. David needs to take a break and come back with a fresh attitude performing the same show so many times has got to get old and it starts to show no matter what you do.....Scott B.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » February 25th, 2009, 4:05 pm

I would also agree. The "mumbling" style and casual, somewhat disinterested performance has been solidly in place for the last couple of years.

Although I consider DC to be beyond needing to make excuses, there are points in this thread that do sound like something he might be wise to consider doing (like taking a year or two off).

If the casual and disinterested thing is for real, then it's time to go away for a bit for sure.......if it's part of the act (which I doubt), it's likely gone a bit too far for the average DC fan to feel comfortable with.

Having said that, each of the three shows I've been to in the last couple of years has been solidly attended (not sold out though), and the response from the crowd was enthusiastic.

raj k

Postby raj k » February 25th, 2009, 4:37 pm

I've seen DC perform one time a few years back in SF, merely to mark off a childhood task that went unfulfilled (due to monetary reasons). I don't care much for stage magic, but I was surprised to see a very casual persona from DC.

This style seemed in line with the above comments, but I was actually impressed with DC and was able to appreciate this relaxed rendition of magic. He didn't take himself too seriously, which I highly respect. As much as I love cheese, gold lame fabric, and girlies....they weren't present. And I really enjoyed that aspect and learned much from that show. That is what (stage) magic needs more of to elevate the art.

It seemed to be a conscious performing style and not from workaholic fatigue. Less cheese and wind machines please!

-RK

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » February 25th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Didn't he just take nearly a year off?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 25th, 2009, 5:39 pm

David has been working steadily, half the year in vegas, half the year on tour, with a few weeks of vacation thrown in here and there.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » February 25th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Interesting the Copperfield can please the crowds while "phoning it in" while Criss Angel is trying as hard as he can and disappointing even his most ardent fans...

I guess it shows just how further ahead of the rest of us Copperfield really is!

smokemist

Postby smokemist » February 25th, 2009, 9:14 pm

ditto...

Return to “Buzz”