Harry Lorayne Trick?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Mallakite

Harry Lorayne Trick?

Postby Mallakite » February 18th, 2009, 11:45 am

What's the name of the second trick Harry Lorayne does in this clip after the four king production and where can I learn it?
I have no idea how the h*** he does this, it's impossible.

Harry Lorayne

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Harry Lorayne Trick?

Postby Joe Pecore » February 18th, 2009, 11:52 am

Based on the title of the clip, I would look in his book Reputation Makers http://www.qualitymagicbooks.com/?nd=full&key=1930

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » February 18th, 2009, 12:24 pm

It's called "Numero Uno" and can be found in "Personal Collection"

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Steve Cobb

Postby Steve Cobb » February 18th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Thank you, I looked up the second trick, but what is the first trick he does where he cuts to the Kings?

Barry Shifrin

Postby Barry Shifrin » February 18th, 2009, 3:31 pm

The first routine is "Halo Again" from Rim Shots

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 18th, 2009, 4:37 pm

HaLo Again and HaLo Aces are re-written, updated, etc., along with Lord knows how many more tricks, effects, routines, etc., in THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volume 2. And, good news - it's available directly from me - and I'll meet any dealer's price. What in the world are you waiting for?

Steve Cobb

Postby Steve Cobb » February 18th, 2009, 5:17 pm

Harry: CC Volume 2 is the only book of yours that I don't have. I'm saving up for it, hopefully I will get it before the Economic "Apocalypse"

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » February 18th, 2009, 5:41 pm

I really enjoyed the bound volumes of 'Apocalypse' and both of the 'Classic Collection' books. Is there any plans for a third volume of 'The Classic Collection'? If so, put me down for one!

Joe

Mallakite

Postby Mallakite » February 18th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Damn, it's a shame Personal Collection is out of print, Numero Uno is amazing. Hopefully there is a reprint sometime in the future.

Yes please, Classic Collection Volume 3 containing Quantum Leaps, Trendsetters and Misc would be an awesome book.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 19th, 2009, 11:01 am

Yes, many have asked about THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Volume 3. It would include Trend Setters, Quantum Leaps and The Magic Book, probably. But waiting to sell out THE CLASSIC COLLECTION

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 19th, 2009, 11:02 am

Got cut off somehow. To complete the above --- "...volume 2 before I really think about it. HL.

Jon Morris

Postby Jon Morris » February 19th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Harry, where can I find "Numero Uno" explained? I see that it is on your Best Ever colelction vol. 1 but it is listed as 'performance only'. I would really love to learn this effect because it is absolutely astonishing and every time I see it I am further confused by the method of how you perform it.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 19th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Jon: I teach it in PERSONAL COLLECTION, but that's been out of print for a year or two. I originally taught it in 1980 lecture notes (along with a bunch of other stuff) - they seem to have become collector's items. I've sold some of my few remaining copies for $55.00 plus the inevitable pstg/hndlng. I have perhaps three copies left. Wish I could be of more help. Interesting - some have asked me to put out a book containing What A M-E-S, The Great Divide and Numero Uno, with perhaps a few other, new, items. Something for me to think about. HL.

Jon Morris

Postby Jon Morris » February 19th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Harry, what other effects/routines do you teach in the lecture notes? Do you have any left as you mentioned you may?

Jon

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 19th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Okay, let's see - there's Four-Ace Opener (which also teaches some other things, like The Lorayne Card Spin), Magnetic Pull, Spread-Off Double Lift, Take Five (a killer idea), Two Ambitious, Numero Uno, my Magician Vs. Gambler (entire routine, patter and all), Butterfly Cut Variation, Mated Updated! Snap Lap. That's about it and, as usual, I'm giving away too uch for the money! And yes, as I said above, I have only a few copies left. I may raise the price from $55.00 plus p/h soon, now that I've refreshed my memory as to the contents! HL. (If anyone is interested, you're better off contacting me at my personal email address: harrylorayne@earthlink.net.)

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » February 19th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Very cool. Where is this footage from?

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 19th, 2009, 7:24 pm

Sorry David, don't understand your question. I've listed what's in that set of my Lecture Notes.

Mallakite

Postby Mallakite » February 19th, 2009, 7:44 pm

I think he means where is that video clip from

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » February 19th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Hell I just want to see someone perform the "Rockin' Chair" from Rim Shots. This has to be for a much more serious card man than myself. I would LOVE to know how few have mastered this technique, it really should GTFM. Peace all.

David Thomas

Postby David Thomas » February 19th, 2009, 9:22 pm

I meant where was that video originally shown.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 19th, 2009, 11:36 pm

I'm still confused. Are you referring to the very first post in this thread? If so, I originally performed HaLo Aces, Numero Uno, plus other stuff on an English TV show. Two young guys were the hosts, and they came to New York City to film me. That's all I know about it. How and where you can view it is beyond me. HL.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 19th, 2009, 11:39 pm

Oh, I just checked back to that first post. Just click on my highlighted-in-blue name and the clip comes on.

Jon Morris

Postby Jon Morris » February 20th, 2009, 8:42 am

All I know is that Numero Uno looks like it would fry anyone who sees it. I've watched the clip a dozen times and I'm still stumped. Every bit of the effect seems impossible. 1.) how the card could be exactly 18 cards down without Harry knowing what number the spectyator would call out and then 2.) how the hell he could pull precisely 17 cards off of the top of the deck so quickly and with such precision directly after the spectator calls out the number? It's absolutely amazing!

I've been studying and performing card magic for over ten years now, and although I know I'm still just a baby when it comes to the art, I know my fair share of sleights and card technique and can perform a bakers dozen of TRUE spectator-fryers, but I have never seen anything like Numero Uno. Harry's performance is seamless and flawless and the fluidity of the actions just enhance the seeming impossibility of the final effect. This is the kind of card magic that I hope to one day do. Outstanding!

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » February 20th, 2009, 10:51 am

I don't know the actual method, but must ask: in the vid, if the spec had said 14, would the handling have been the same?
I.e. suppose 17 was the best possible choice, but there was contingent handling for other numbers.

If I filmed 2704 attempts at ACAAN, you'd expect one of them to look truly miraculous.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 20th, 2009, 10:58 am

When doing a TV thing as the one in question, you do ONE take, my friend.

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » February 20th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Harry Lorayne wrote: When doing a TV thing as the one in question, you do ONE take, my friend.

I wasn't implying you would do otherwise, Harry. I only meant that it might not be the same ending, depending on what number the spec chose. And I freely admit, this is all conjecture on my part, based on one viewing.

flynn

Postby flynn » February 20th, 2009, 1:43 pm

You kinda force them at 17 or 18 which the chances are great when you ask them to name a high number between 10-20. After that I cheat. I use a short card. But my guess is a slight jog is the correct method. And when a low number is named you got to do your best HL subtle persuasion and tell them to think of a high number not a low number. Which was the case on one of the HL videos, I've seen. He gives an excellent performaance. Easily my favorite HL trick I like watching him perform.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 20th, 2009, 4:09 pm

No, Flynn, can't use a short card 'cause I work with a borrowed deck, only. But thanks for "them kind words." HL.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » February 20th, 2009, 5:06 pm

David Thomas wrote:Very cool. Where is this footage from?

The series was called "The Secret World of Magic," shot for a U.K. network called Sky One and hosted by Pete Firman and Ali Cook.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » February 20th, 2009, 5:23 pm

That's it, David. Thank you.

Alan M

Postby Alan M » February 20th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Uh, WOW. I guess I could elaborate on how I feel after watching that clip, but no, I'll stick with WOW... now please pardon me while I dust off my knees and put my cards away.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » February 21st, 2009, 2:28 pm

I received the 1980 notes today and Numero Uno is extremely clever. It is as good as it looks in the video, and it is practical. It is not particularly difficult, BUT it will require good presentation. If it is presented properly, it is a killer!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”