Research: Poker

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
David Thomas

Research: Poker

Postby David Thomas » January 29th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Hello,
I am currently beginning the process of writing and creating a five page research paper on poker for school (mostly addressing cheating in poker) and I need some periodicals to accompany this research and meet the projects requirements.....so I wonder, can anyone refer me to any and all genii (or magic) magazine issues featuring poker cheaters or anything to do with cheating at poker in these magazines? I know about Steve Forte's issue but I will need several others......many thanks in advance.

David

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Research: Poker

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 29th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Perhaps Ask Alexander would get you started.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 29th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Here are a couple of magazine/periodical archives so you can do your own research:

Time Magazine

Sports Illustrated

Brooklyn Daily Eagle

Harvard Crimson

NY Times

All of the above are free. (As are public libraries, which are big buildings with lots of books and magazines, and people who are happy to direct you to the Reader's Guide to Periodical Literature, an index of periodicals which should help you find articles about poker and cheaters).

Nikodemus Siivola

Postby Nikodemus Siivola » January 30th, 2009, 5:12 am

The Georgio Letters by Tony Giorgio, IIRC initially part of the Intermission in Genii Magicana. Started around volume 54 (early 90s.)

A column or a series of articles by Simon Lovell in the Magigram around the same time, I think. An index in progress exists, but doesn't reach the right time period yet:

http://magigram.co.uk/default.aspx

Jason England

Postby Jason England » February 3rd, 2009, 2:53 pm

David,

Send me an email - I think I can help you locate some poker cheating materials, both periodicals and otherwise.

Jason

jason.england@gmail.com

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » February 6th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Jason England wrote:David,

Send me an email - I think I can help you locate some poker cheating materials, both periodicals and otherwise.

Jason

Jason,
If you can't.. no one can. ;-)

Return to “Reference Room”