Dirt Eradicator/Oops/Wiz Kote at school shows?

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.
Umpa Duze

Dirt Eradicator/Oops/Wiz Kote at school shows?

Postby Umpa Duze » January 28th, 2009, 1:20 am

Hi All,
I have been developing a routine for the effect in which a volunteer's tennis shoe is accidentally fried to a crisp in a faulty machine that was supposed to clean it and is then restored.

In searching out presentation ideas, I have watched a number of performers presenting this effect. However, all the examples I found were at family shows. I wonder if anyone has some thoughts on whether or not this is a good effect for school shows? and why/why not?

As always, I would appreciate any advice you can offer,
Umpa

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Dirt Eradicator/Oops/Wiz Kote at school shows?

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 28th, 2009, 8:10 am

Probably a good idea to talk to the spellbinder at his magic nook for some guidance on this. His Wiz Kids are likely using that item to good effect wherever they go.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » January 28th, 2009, 12:44 pm

UD: Why do YOU think it might not be a good routine in a school show?

Umpa Duze

Postby Umpa Duze » January 28th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Hi,
The only resaon I wondered about this is that the impact on adults seemd likely to be somewhat different than the reaction of the children. I developed the routine for the school show, but just had a nagging doubt as to whether kids would somehow take the burning of the shoe as a negative rather than fun experience.

Probably I am worrying about nothing. But the show is done and rehearsals have begun so I am trying to cross all the t's and dot all the i's.

I will check with Spellbinder. Thanks for the suggestion.
Umpa
Cheers,
Umpa Duze

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » January 31st, 2009, 9:05 am

I'll save you the trouble of checking with me and assure you right here that this is an excellent effect for school shows. It's especially funny for the kids if the "volunteer" is one of their teachers.

Jim Gerrish's O.O.P.S. machine routine involves trying a lot of replacement shoes on the volunteer after burning own shoe. He uses a fluffy pink woman's slipper, an oversized clown shoe, a curled pointy toed Elf shoe, and some others. He advises getting a volunteer with a good sense of humor and even doing some pre-show preparation without telling the person exactly what he is getting into, but reassuring him that all will work out in the end.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Umpa Duze

Postby Umpa Duze » January 31st, 2009, 2:40 pm

Wow! Thanks Spellbinder, it is very nice of you to take the initiative and help me with this. This is really a great group. I can't tell you how much I enjoy and benefit from being able to interact with knowledgable magic folks. I live quite far from any metropolitan centers and this helps me feel connected.

I appreciate everyones help and guidance.
Umpa

Return to “Children's Entertainment”