So...what is a magician?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Steve V

Re: So...what is a magician?

Postby Steve V » October 21st, 2008, 2:22 pm

I just saw the question about Jinger and Char. Both of these women are very talented and while I've had contact with both I have spent more time with Jinger. She, Jinger, is not an assistant but, as is Char, considered a partner in the act. That being said Jinger has always described herself as a 'dancer' and that she had to learn how to talk on stage and all that and she does a wonderful job and has developed into part of a magical team the same way Penn, who I consider a juggler not a magician, has become part of a magical team with Teller.

If you ever saw a full performance of Kalin and Jinger or The Pendgragons you would have to say that without the presence of the lovely (in Jingers case unfreakinbelievably lovely) and intelligent women Their husbands would have not found the success they have enjoyed. They should not be viewed in any lower a position as part of the team as Penn is in Penn and Teller.
Steve V

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » October 21st, 2008, 10:13 pm

Penn & Teller. Excellent example, Steve. One that I'd intended to suggest earlier myself.

I concur 100%.

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » October 22nd, 2008, 2:11 am

Travis wrote:
And Ray, you simply found this funny, therefore I can only assume you hold the same lesser view of the female gender. Being well read, sir, does not preclude your being a male chauvinist.

[size:11pt]No disrespect intended, Travis; But I believe that you are one of those fellows capable of carrying on a two week long argument with a Coca~Cola machine.

A sexist is man with a chauvinistic belief in the inferiority of women.

A chauvinist is a person with a prejudiced belief in the superiority of his or her own kind.

Prejudice is being biased or having a belief or attitude formed beforehand.

I both function and interact very well with female colleagues and peers in both social and professional milieus so, by definition, I could not be a sexist if I accept them as equals without reservation or compunction.

Not being a proponent of, or believing that I am an element of, some master race or sex, by definition I could not be a chauvinist.

I have my share of biases and prejudices(as do you in your heart of hearts)but as none are directed at women as a sex per se, the combination of all of the above comprises a logical set of arguments that disputes your assertions, that could be proven by empirical observation and which are mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive.

You presume a great deal on a reply to a member's comment whose entirety was a :D

Being a egalitarian, you should commit to memory the biblical admonition about casting the first stone.
Unless, of course, you possess an aversion to scriptural imperatives. :)

[/size]
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 22nd, 2008, 1:07 pm

People interested in seeing how Charlotte performs without Jonathan should go see them perform. There is a point in the show where the take a vote for which of the two should do the next trick, and every time the audience picks Charlotte. She then does the next trick with Jonathan offstage.

Return to “Buzz”