Cuban Magic

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Cuban Magic

Postby 000 » September 24th, 2008, 10:57 am

The 1956 S.A. M. Convention was held in Havana, Cuba, and was called Magicana in Havana.
Im interested in finding out how active the Magic scene was in Cuba ( performers, dealers etc) both in 1955 and post revolution.
I got thinking about this after reading Magicana of Havana in New York by Jose de la Torre.

Stuart Hooper

Re: Cuban Magic

Postby Stuart Hooper » September 24th, 2008, 11:15 am

A buddy of mine living here in Panama is Cuban, though he left a long time ago. Another friend just moved to Miami, but spent most of his life in Cuba. Apparently there is still a fairly active community, who've learned to build almost everything they need on their own and be fairly inventive. My understanding is that the few working magicians are government employees, like everyone else, and do fairly well, relatively speaking, of course.

The Spanish speaking magic community maintains some contact with these folks, I believe.

Postby 000 » September 26th, 2008, 5:39 am

Thanks Stuart. Anybody else?

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » September 26th, 2008, 7:47 am

There are some members of my IBM ring that were probably at that convention in 1956.

We also have members that have just recently come to the U.S. from Cuba.

I'll pass your question along and get back to you...

Bob

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » September 26th, 2008, 11:46 am

You could contact Fantasio.
It is possible he went to it
since he is Argentinian.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » September 26th, 2008, 12:09 pm

You may want to check here:

Cuban Magicians Click Here <----

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Robinmago

Postby Robinmago » September 26th, 2008, 5:40 pm

A very good performer is Luis Gavilondo.He had quite a lot of

routines published in Magigram,and in some bookletts by Supreme.

He went to live in Spain,but maybe he is no longer there........

He introduced me to Prof.Cruz that I believe that at the time

was the oldest Cuban living magician.

A.

Postby 000 » September 28th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Thanks Bob..would be nice to hear from someone who was at the '56 convention.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » October 19th, 2008, 1:05 pm

Hi!
Just come back from a two weeks holiday in Cuba and had a chance to get in touch with some Cuban magicians and see some shows. I'm still jet-lagged and I can't post anything at the moment, but I may be able to write something later (tomorrow?).

Cuba has a community of about 300 magicians and 5 different magic clubs, scattered around its provinces. However, the situation for magic isn't good: the only opportunities to perform magic is for hotels (and thus for tourists) but the state of magic is YEARS beyond what "we" in the West are used to.

If you are interested in some bits of information about magic in Cuba, let me know and I may post something...

All the best,
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » October 20th, 2008, 12:09 pm

I had a chance to ask around about the '56 convention at our IBM meeting last week here in Miami. Although I wasn't able to ask Fantasio if he attended because he wasn't at the meeting, I did get to talk to someone who was there in '56.

I asked a gentleman named Pepe Sousa, who I have become friends with over the last year (and who is still an excellent sleight of hand magician), if by chance he was at that convention. Turns out that not only was he there, he was one of the organizers. He even designed the convention poster.

He promised to show me all memorabilia related to the convention the next time I visit him at his house, but here are a few of his recollections off the top of his head:

--He was pretty sure that the Havana convention was the only S.A.M. convention held outside the U.S.

--Turnout for the convention was somewhat less than expected... they were hoping for around 300 attendees and ended up with around 120.

--It had quite an impressive list of performers: Vernon, Slydini (Pepe said his stage show with the paper balls over the head was a huge hit and Tony performed in full regalia a la the cover of Slydini Encores), Harlan Tarbell and Milbourne Christopher to name a few. Marlo was invited, but could not make it. Pepe still has the correspondence from Marlo with his regrets for not being able to attend.

If youre interested in more details, let me know. Ill see if I can get some pictures of the memorabilia at Pepes home.

Bob

Merlina

Postby Merlina » October 20th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Greetings, I have a copy of the original poster which was produced for Magicana in Havana and if someone would like me to e-mail it to them, please drop me a line at merlina17@aol.com and I will gladly send it.

Warren Kaps, Past National President of the S.A.M. as well as Frank Dailey also a Past National President of the S.A.M. would have a great deal of historical items from that convention. Warren I know for a fact was there.

With regards to magic of Cuba, it has been very difficult for magicians there to acquire magic, and to get up to speed on the world of magic today. I have been working with a few of the magicians who have had to make their own effects and have started a collection of home-made items for a new lecture which I will be doing in the very near future. It will be unveiled at the next Midwest Magic Jubilee in St. Louis where I have been hired to perform and lecture.

Best to all and remember to keep a dream in the making

Maria Ibanez
Keep a dream in the making for we create our tomorrows by what we dream today.

Maria Ibanez

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”