Backflip and Flipped out(Small but Deadly)

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
swamy

Backflip and Flipped out(Small but Deadly)

Postby swamy » September 10th, 2008, 9:53 am

The book "Small but Deadly" by Paul Hallas mentions that the effect "Flipped Out" by Ed Hollins had one card less than the effect "Backflip" by Sam Schwartz".

According to me both these effects have the same number of cards.

What is being mentioned in the book "Small but Deadly" is it correct ?

Hallas

Re: Backflip and Flipped out(Small but Deadly)

Postby Hallas » September 10th, 2008, 11:15 am

Hi Swami. I recall your e-mail to me a while back pointing out that you had "Flipped Out" and that it had the same number of cards. You will be credited with the correction in "Small But Deadly 2 (working title) which I have just started writing.

The information about the effect came from a conversation I had with Art Emerson at Blackpool convention some years ago. It's possible my memory played tricks on me, or Art, but I'll take the blame because I put it in print.

Another correction is a trick credit, at one point I mention an effect "Sidewinder" and simply lay it at Tannen's door, in actual fact it should be credited to Rich Bangs (whose name was not mentioned in the ad. I'd seen (I've since met Rich, a nice guy who has created other effects).

If your question was referring to other information in "Small But Deadly" being correct, like any other author, I would like to think so. However, if anyone else has any genuine corrections (rather than opinions) for anything in the book please feel free to e-mail me at info@paulhallas.com

I'd also love to see the original EW instruction sheet for Ed Hollins's "Flipped Out" if anyone who has them would like to let me see. The 'mirror' climax has been used by many since, including Sam Schwartz himself (Flipperation). The latter and the original "Back Flip" can now be found fully described in Allen Zingg's book "SAM'S - The Magic of Sam Schwartz".

Paul Hallas

swamy

Postby swamy » September 10th, 2008, 11:29 am

Thank you very much the reply.

I had also emailed you regarding the diplacement of cards after every Elmsley count in the effect "Backflip". Have you got any further information on that ?

Also there are a few more points which I have noted it which I will email it to you.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 10th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Paul:

Email me -- I have both effects.

Hallas

Postby Hallas » September 10th, 2008, 5:07 pm

Re: "I had also emailed you regarding the diplacement of cards after every Elmsley count in the effect "Backflip". Have you got any further information on that ?"

No. I described how I dealt with that in Small But Deadly. So, I was happy with what I did. But I recall you saying you had seen people performing it with a different handling.

Paul.

Ricky Difeo

Postby Ricky Difeo » September 13th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Hi Paul!

The instruccions of "Backflip" is included for first time in Epilogue by Karl Fulves, pag.175. Issue 19 November 1975 and also in the book "The Magic of Sam Schwartz" by Allen Zing is dated 2002/2003 (In Small but Deadly is not dated the Epilogue) aparition.-

Good Luck.-

Ricardo Difeo
La Plata - Buenos Aires - Argentina

cardstuntman

Postby cardstuntman » September 26th, 2008, 8:13 pm

I have the "Flipped Out" Directions, I do the trick all the time it's a favorite of mine, so much so that I made a set with Bicycle cards and Mylar. I also love the Larry West trick "Sequence", which you did not include in your Small But Deadly vol. one. Any plans to have it in the new volume?

Scotty

Return to “Close-Up Magic”