Where are the Pendragons?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Frank Valenti

Where are the Pendragons?

Postby Frank Valenti » August 8th, 2008, 7:31 am

I watched America's Got Talent twice this week and did not see the Pendragons perform. I did get a glimpse of them them after the sword swallower was kicked off the show, but there was no indication if they made it to the next Live rounds. I found this very odd.

Anyone know what happened?

Thanks,
Frank

Mark Paulson

Re: Where are the Pendragons?

Postby Mark Paulson » August 9th, 2008, 2:12 am

From the looks of it, they are not going through. The semi-finalists have been set. I was wondering what had happened to them, too. I was hoping to see them perform on AGT again, but it doesn't appear that that will happen. One less reason to watch now.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » August 9th, 2008, 12:28 pm

They were at THE CALIFORNIA MAGIC AND NOVELTY CO. last week performing at the weekly dinner theater, you could have asked them in person if you were there!

Dave

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » August 9th, 2008, 1:31 pm

You are correct!

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » August 9th, 2008, 3:44 pm

Char posted on Magic Cafe that they had contractual differences with the producers of AGT .

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... orum=62&12

Personally I think AGT has treated magicians very shoddily in general so I think they are well rid of it . Hopefully it paid off for them in terms of some additional bookings in real venues.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » August 9th, 2008, 10:07 pm

David Nethery wrote:
Personally I think AGT has treated magicians very shoddily in general so I think they are well rid of it . Hopefully it paid off for them in terms of some additional bookings in real venues.

Personally, I think the magicians for the most part needed to be treated shoddily, including Kevin James last year.

The only magician so far who thought out and performed admirably all the way through the competition was Nathan Burton a couple of years ago.

I think the Pendragons would have been great to watch and probably would have competed for the grand prize if they could have continued.

Dave

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » August 10th, 2008, 12:15 am

I am sorry, but I am glad they are not on the show.

The Pendragons have already traveled the world and been National Headliners, etc, etc.

AGT should be for people who haven't already made it. If you already have had Vegas Shows, etc, you should not even be eligible.

Gord

Postby Gord » August 10th, 2008, 12:42 am

Scott Fridinger wrote:I am sorry, but I am glad they are not on the show.

The Pendragons have already traveled the world and been National Headliners, etc, etc.

AGT should be for people who haven't already made it. If you already have had Vegas Shows, etc, you should not even be eligible.

You mean like that David Martin idiot?

Gord

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » August 10th, 2008, 1:02 am

AGT isn't about giving an opportunity to deserving undiscovered talent; it is about bringing in the acts -- and the accompanying storyline/baggage -- that are going to draw the most eyeballs and therefore the most revenue. This is business, not charity. If the people booking want the act, and the act wants to be on the show, to say they shouldn't because they are established, experienced, professionals is ridiculous.

N.

Shawn Farquhar

Postby Shawn Farquhar » August 11th, 2008, 1:52 am

Hmmm, I find it interesting the posting by Dave Egleston where he says "Personally, I think the magicians for the most part needed to be treated shoddily, including Kevin James last year."

Obviously My Egleston has not heard any of the facts regarding Kevin James's appearance and manipulated end on AGT. If he indeed did know the fact as they have been present by Kevin in many locations, including a recent interview for Magic Reel, I'm sure his posting would not have had such comments as "...only magician so far who thought out and performed admirably all the way through the competition..".

Folks face it this is not "real TV" it's "reality TV". It's all about the editor and the stuff you never see that makes TV so exciting...

Shawn Farquhar
Shawn Farquhar

"if you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not getting the joke."

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » August 11th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Mr James' final act was one he has done hundreds of times - It was not a bit that could be done as a Finale!

Heck, I think Harry Anderson did part of the same bit on the TONIGHT SHOW before Johnny Carson quit.

The problem with a contest such as AMERICA'S GOT TALENT is: the performer has to be awesome EVERY time they perform and using an opening throw-a-way bit such as the severed hand should not be used as a "Show Stopper", they're sold in every Halloween shop in town.

You're right, I haven't heard or read Mr James' excuses, does that excuse the fact that the gaff looked like crap, the skin tones didn't match and he exposed the method?

I have seen Kevin James perform several times, in fact just a couple of months ago and he never looked as bad on stage as he did that evening on television. He is, in fact, one of my favorite shows to go see when I'm in Las Vegas.

Now I hope he doesn't beat me up next time I'm down there.

I am interested in which magicians you think didn't deserve "shoddy" treatment.

Not being passed on to the next round isn't necessarily bad treatment, other performers may have impressed the judges more than a well performed illusion, it is subjective and the judges are pretty much no talent idiots and certainly not well rounded in all aspects of entertainment.

Dave

Charlotte Pendra

Postby Charlotte Pendra » August 12th, 2008, 1:34 am

We left the show due to contractual differences between ourselves and the producers. Believe it or not, yes performers must sign a pretty hefty agreement. Our own assistants hadn't worked out their agreements either...

As far as that guy who thinks performers who have the "guts" to stand up in front of 13 million people...risking mistakes-including David Martin, Becky Blaney, Dan Stapleton etc...should be treated shoddily, well I have news- NO ONE should be treated shoddily...ever!

Shawn Farquhar

Postby Shawn Farquhar » August 12th, 2008, 3:03 am

Dave,

I will let you investigate Kevin's full explanation on your own but will tell you it was not his choice to present that effect. In fact he was told not to present the floating rose he had intended to use and to do the hand routine. I loved the additions Kevin put to his original severed hand routine that has since been ripped off and sold in every Halloween shop in town.

I took the time to watch the episode again to see through new eyes your comments of "the gaff looked like crap, the skin tones didn't match and he exposed the method". I did not see where he exposed the method and the gaff looked fine to these eyes. Yes, Piers exposed the method but that is out of Kevin's hands.

I know if Kevin had been allowed to do what he wanted on the show he would have easily have made it to the finals.

As for your question "which magicians you think didn't deserve "shoddy" treatment." ... no performer, amateur or professional deserves to be treated with anything but respect.

As for the qualifications of the judges... I laughed so hard when Piers Morgan told a ventriloquist, Michael Harrison, that "he had never seen a ventriloquist use a spectator as the puppet" ... wow revolutionary!

I am happy that the Pendragons are not on AGT. Jonathan and Charlotte have far too much class for such a trite show. They deserve their own television special.

While I am at it I should also address the "AGT should be for people who haven't already made it..." . Then we would never have seen Nathan Burton or David and Dania! The rules aren't set by us ... news flash! The producers want the best in America ... oh and the worst ...

Sincerely,

Shawn
Shawn Farquhar

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » August 13th, 2008, 11:34 pm

I agree generally that no one should be treated shoddily, but if you decide to be on reality TV, you've seen the show and so many performers go on the show just to act like fools. Which is why it's always refreshing to see someone like the Pendragons perform.

Dave

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 14th, 2008, 2:44 am

I still don't understand why Kevin James even did the amputated arm bit. Does that actually fool anyone? I clearly didnt fool Morgan. He considered it so transparent that he commented on it.

After wowing them with the man cut in half he followed with a trick thats not much of a leap for anyone whos done the old cut off finger in the box trick that every Cub Scout in America knows.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » August 14th, 2008, 6:59 am

I know that the show is all about ratings and the story. I get it. I also know that it's not about finding an amateur act. They just want good ratings. Good ratings usually means a fat guy who has been teased but can really sing. A single mom who gave up her dream at a performing career for her kids. Etc. The horrible thing is if these 3 people are supposed to be such great experts on talent why do rave over mediocre acts? A few weeks ago there was a guy who did very half-assed shadowgraphy. Hasselhoff RAVED that this was the greatest thing he'd ever seen. How could someone in the industry possibly miss the Raymond Crowe video that was all over youtube last year.

amp

Postby amp » August 14th, 2008, 8:17 am

It's a reality "SHOW".

Shawn Farquhar

Postby Shawn Farquhar » August 14th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Hi Bill,

In reply to your question "I still don't understand why Kevin James even did the amputated arm bit." ... in television you do what the Producer tells you to, if you want to be on television.

To answer you second question of "Does that actually fool anyone?" ... the answer is yes! Greg Frewin uses it everyday in his spectacular show in Niagara Falls and even magicians sometimes don't know that two of them are employed in one of his illusions.
Shawn Farquhar

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » August 14th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Shawn Farquhar wrote:Dave,

While I am at it I should also address the "AGT should be for people who haven't already made it..." . Then we would never have seen Nathan Burton or David and Dania! The rules aren't set by us ... news flash! The producers want the best in America ... oh and the worst ...

I stick by my opinion, which is just that an opinion.

The Mailman who can sing Opera, or the Teacher who can juggle elephants seems to be what the show SHOULD be about. New, frest talent America has never seen. I also understand what the Networks are looking for and what they are trying to do. (Make Money).

From my perspective, one of the Premier Magical Acts in the world, The Pendragons, should not be on a Talent show with a bunch of guys who put a singing and dance group together in their garage. I love watchine magic, and would love to see new Magical Talent.

I also wouldn't put Nathan Burton or David and Dania in the same League as a Kevin James or Pendragons, prior to the appearance on AGT.

This is not putting down the Talent of any performer, I just think AGT is not the place for seasoned Professionals who have already had Vegas or Vegas style contracts.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 14th, 2008, 10:56 pm

So the producers told him what material to perform? Wonderful.

I don't doubt that the principle of the arm illusion can be deceptive, just that this particular application of the principle is...

Of course I may be jadded but we do have the opinion of a talentless, non-magician judge who saw right through it. Don't get me wrong. I like the piece as a part of a larger character driven act.

Shawn Farquhar

Postby Shawn Farquhar » August 15th, 2008, 4:13 am

... "I also wouldn't put Nathan Burton or David and Dania in the same League as a Kevin James or Pendragons, prior to the appearance on AGT."

Hmmm I'm pretty sure Nathan had a whole lot more exposure to the world with his multiple appearances on the television series "The Entertainer" with Wayne Newton than Kevin James has ever had. In fact it was Nathan who encouraged Kevin to do AGT in the first place! Nathan was also one of the stars of V in Las Vegas and was negotiating his own afternoon show before AGT even happened!

David and Dania were also well established artists around the globe. In fact David even said so on the show when Piers made Dania cry ... "the concept has taken us all over the world ... our next stop is London."
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=AgbIMTTlsJI

AGT is one of the few places a variety act can be seen by millions at one time! It is the place for well established acts like Nathan and D&D to be exposed to those people like yourself who thought they weren't well known or as accomplished.

Cheers,

Shawn
Shawn Farquhar

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » August 15th, 2008, 8:49 am

You know its interesting to note that because of britian/america's got tallent, one of the top 3 national tv stations over here have now commisioned a prime time saturday night variety show , for their autum season.

Ive no idea who is on it yet, but its at least a start.

(Japan has an interesting take on the tallent show.. See the link below. it's a hoot!!!)

japanese tallent show

Otto Magic

Postby Otto Magic » August 27th, 2008, 5:57 am

Shimshi was on tonight with a very disappointing "card" trick. I thought his flip looked good, but the judges, especially Piers thought Shimshi lacked tlanet to go further.

Return to “Buzz”