The Old Genii

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Brad A._dup1

The Old Genii

Postby Brad A._dup1 » August 20th, 2001, 12:39 am

I've only been exposed to Genii since Mr. Kaufman took it over.

Before that I hadn't really read Genii. I knew it had been around for quite a while, and that it was a hot thing. During the early part of my magic career I was always being told not to read Genii. Why?

I'm still in confusion why exactly Genii's name was tarnished.

Perhaps tarnished isn't the best word. I've heard that sometimes the thing never came on time. Someone told me that months were just skipped. Another magi told me that he sent in his money, and never received his subscription.

Now all this is PRE KAUFMAN. In the past few weeks I've been exploring archives of Genii's. A few days ago I was given a few dozen back Genii's by the Larson's. I took note at "Genii Speaks" where Erika was sending the magazine to the printer in December. And this was the December issue!

How did they end up getting so late? Did this ultimately lead to some type of slump in Genii readership? Lots of folks read MAGIC.

Most of my friends read Magic. Heck, some of the folks I talk to still think the Larson's run the magazine.

Which brings me back to my question (did I ever have one?)... how did the late-ness occur? and what happend to the missing issues?

As I've complimented before, Genii seems to be doing wonderful. I've truly enjoyed the current issues. I've been looking back though. Comparing.

For some of the folks out there who've been with Genii for a while. What do you think. Is Genii better than before. Think back to when you first read it, where you'd see what Dai Vernon was doing at the Castle. Or read the "latest" news in Magic. Find out the coolest trick from Larry Jennings.

Your thoughts?
-brad

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: bradmagic ]

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: bradmagic ]
Former Vonnegut Character

Re: The Old Genii

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2001, 12:48 am

I don't know what initially caused the "lateness" but it must have started a LOoonng time ago as I think I remember reading (years after publication) a rather confessional Genii Speaks, one of Bill Larsen Jr.'s first such columns, wherein he apologized for the lateness and blamed it (at least partially) on either the dissolution of his (first) marriage, his late father's death, or both.

All I know is that I sure am glad it now comes on time and is produced to such an incredibly high standard every month. Richard, keep it up!

rgds, Tim McD

David Nethery

Postby David Nethery » August 22nd, 2001, 8:49 am

The new Genii is wonderful, both in terms of content and the fact that it is mailed on time. Thank you, Mr. Kaufman!

However, when I was a Genii subscriber way back in the 1973 - 1982 era I must say that I agreed with the saying that sometimes described Genii:
"Genii magazine: 'Always late, but worth the wait' ". It was worth it. Highlight of my month was receiving Genii (no matter that the cover said March and the month I received it in was May !).

I treasure my old Genii's. They are about the only thing I kept from my years as a kid magician. I was "away" from magic for almost 15 years, but never threw away those Genii mags.

Postby Guest » August 22nd, 2001, 10:57 am

I only know the old GENII from back copies that I am able to buy, so I'm not sure if my thoughts should be here....but.....
I think that the 'current' GENII is terrific.
I look forward to it's arrival with great anticipation. I have a hard time making it last a whole month until the next issue comes out.
I have been a subscriber for two years now, and plan (or hope) to continue for as long as GENII is published.

Selah,
TiJean

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » August 22nd, 2001, 4:25 pm

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: Jerry Harrell ]

Return to “General”