Tayade's Hindu Round Cards

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.
George Olson

Tayade's Hindu Round Cards

Postby George Olson » July 17th, 2008, 5:22 pm

I just acquired a full deck of Tayade Round cards 10 "suits" 12 cards to the suit. To expose my ignorance, are they simply a novelty, or is there a routine using them?

GO
Last edited by George Olson on July 17th, 2008, 5:24 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Added words

Master Payne

Re: Tayade's Hindu Round Cards

Postby Master Payne » July 18th, 2008, 5:16 pm

These are traditional East Indian playing cards known as Ganjifa.
You can read a little bit about them here

http://www.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards25.htm

and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganjifa

They are used for the card game of the same name. I do not know of any conjuring effects done with them. They are quite rare these days and all of the people I've ever talked to from India have never heard of them.

I have two sets in my collection. A partial Tayade set like yours and a hand crafted set which is smaller in diameter than the Tayade set but each card is much thicker making the deck about six inches thick.
The only way to become a good magician is to overcome why you became a magician -- Max Maven

George Olson

Postby George Olson » July 19th, 2008, 1:07 am

Master Payne

Missed your charming personage at the Jamboree this year (I couldn't go to FFFF) so I did the next best thing Stan Kramien...

You have hit a home run with me with that artical, really interesting.

By the way, I don't know if I mentioned it, but I inherited one of your little card in box tricks from Dwight Vance..

Best,

George Olson

Master Payne

Postby Master Payne » July 19th, 2008, 3:45 am

Yes, I had a conflict this year with the dates so I missed the Jamboree. Hope to see you there next year as it is doubtful I'll ever get invited to a FFFF, unless of course they really lower their standards :)

Glad you found the articles useful. They really are quite unusual cards.

Glad you inherited my card box. I was sad t hear about Dwight passing. I'll miss not seeing him at Stan's and pawing through the bins in his booth.
I'm assuming that the box your speaking of is one of my Ark of the Covenant Kennedy Card boxes. They are quite rare as I think I've only assembled a dozen of them over the years.
The only way to become a good magician is to overcome why you became a magician -- Max Maven

Return to “General”