One Trick DVD Article by Richard Kaufman

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
Brian Morton

Re: One Trick DVD Article by Richard Kaufman

Postby Brian Morton » July 8th, 2008, 5:55 pm

James Munton wrote:Now you are shifting the goalposts. We were talking about one-trick DVDs.

And again, there is the cynical, negative attitude.

I have no idea about Brad Christian's bank balance. If he is doing well for himself, that's wonderful.

I hear Rocco did alright for himself selling D-Lites.

Is it the one trick DVD you object to, or simply people making money for providing goods or services?

I'm happy to discuss either with you, but can we stick with one topic?

James:

In this case, the medium is not the message, it's the content that counts, an the value for that content. Selling "one trick" for $20 or $35, whether it's via a download or a DVD, when a book contains hundreds of effects, plus ample crediting, is bordering on criminal to new magicians. Pardon my cynical negative attitude -- it's a byproduct of seeing people get ripped off far more than I was in my youth buying lame single-off tricks when dealers could have steered me toward books and pamphlets just as easily.

As for Brad Christian, I can let Jamy Swiss's essay in Antinomy say it far better than I could:
The general impression one gets of Mr. Christian on his videos is that of a bland, middle-aged, white-bread guy, with little performance ability, and sleight-of-hand skills at about the level of an amateur hobbyist with, by contemporary standards, perhaps one or two years of experience. As a street magician he is purely a creation of the camera, but even more important, his standing lies solely within a community that lacks any basis for comparison ... Then there are the issues of Mr. Christians failure to credit originators for the material he exploits; his failure to obtain appropriate permission to use that material; and his habit of renaming well-known tricks in order to further obscure their origins.

I don't consider it "wonderful" when someone appropriates material, renames it, performs it poorly for video, and then sells it on the Internet. But perhaps we have different standards.

I have no problem with Rocco's D-Lite. It was a trick that provided value for the money. He created it, he created effects to go with it, and he deserves the profits he gets. What Rocco did has no bearing on this discussion.

I think one-trick DVDs are ripoffs. I think one-trick video downloads are even worse, since the offenders aren't even fronting the costs of DVD production and duplication. If someone sold one crappy trick in a booklet for $35, he'd be laughed out of the business after long. If it's a great trick, with great instructions, method, crediting, hell -- I'll even throw in pictures, even if they're not necessary -- I'd go for it, for far more than thirty five bucks. But that better be a great trick, and come with some pretty good recommendations by some serious thinkers or working pros. I have friends who have paid more for one trick or method -- how much would you pay to have had personal instructions on Steve Spill's Bill in Lemon or Eddie Fields's code act?

But one trick? On a DVD or download from someone you never heard of before?

Yeah, call me cynical, negative even.

brian :(

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 8th, 2008, 7:30 pm

I don't consider it "wonderful" when someone appropriates material, renames it, performs it poorly for video, and then sells it on the Internet. But perhaps we have different standards.

Not only are you moving the goalposts again, you are accusing me of something I haven't even implied. That's not just proof of your inability to debate, it is downright rude.

But I see you are a journalist. That explains everything.
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » July 8th, 2008, 7:58 pm

James, instead of characterizing my arguments, perhaps you'd care to address their merits. Which is what I'd expect of someone who claims he knows who can and cannot understand how to debate. (They teach this in journalism schools, you know.)

brian

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 8th, 2008, 8:59 pm

James, instead of characterizing my arguments, perhaps you'd care to address their merits.

If you had an actual argument, I'd be happy to respond. All I see is a list of disconnected gripes and lame straw man arguments (they did teach you about those in journalism school, didn't they?)
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 8th, 2008, 9:02 pm

[First, I have to say that I am getting really tired of the BS sniping thats been going on here lately. I had to delete almost a dozen posts in another thread as a result of this nonsense. If you have to yap at each other, please use the Private Message function. You can measure your weenies there. Thanks.]

As for the subject at hand, single trick DVDs, I understand Richards argument, but I also understand that there is a level of quality that can justify the practice. Its just very rare. For example, Bob Whites DVDs on the T&R Napkin, Egg Bag, Linking Rings, and Cups and Balls are all single trick DVDs if you stop and think about it. But the difference is that these discs offer complete lessons; a level of detail one would expect from one-on-one lessons. These DVDs are worth every penny of the $50 Mr. White asks for them (same with his palming DVD which is a single subject DVD I suppose).

I can think of others as well: Mike Caveneys Powers of Darkness comes immediately to mind. The price includes the props while the routine is explained on videoand exceptionally well at that. Again, its a lesson in performing the piece correctly.

And perhaps thats the difference; the depth of these projects makes them single subject DVDs with multiple lessons wrapped around a single trick. Compared to a DVD with a card trick explained on it and nothing else of substance, well thats apples and oranges I suppose. But the good ones are still one trick DVDs.

Dustin

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » July 8th, 2008, 10:29 pm

I just received Revelation today from Mike Caveney. This book is so beautifully executed and of such extraordinary content that it gives one goosebumps. It's nice, re this discussion of the glut of dvds, to see such a labor of love emerge.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » July 9th, 2008, 1:28 am

Wow!! I can't wait to read this "one trick DVD" article...I am sorry to say that I haven't even picked up the July issue yet...

THere are VERY VERY few "one trick" DVDs that are any good and I hate to name names...so I won't but owning a magic shop and watching all the 'garbage' that is being released, I hope all the "KIDS" read this article.

If anyone is interested, I would GLADLY 'call out' the schmucks that have released TRASH in the past new months/years
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 9th, 2008, 1:45 am

Don't be afraid to. Just do it in a professional manner (which doesn't always include using words like "Schmuck").

(No offesne intended, but...) That's one of the things I miss about David Malek's email ads: He used to slam stuff that deserved slamming.

By the way; it wasn't an article per se: It was Richard commenting in "The Genii Speaks."

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » July 9th, 2008, 2:22 am

If I go in to details about the various companies and 'magicians' that have been putting out these Gems, this post would be roughly seventeen pages long.
In MUM Magazine, Genii Magazine, and Magic Magazine (for starters), a particular DVD was reviewed and I can't tell you how badly it was talked about. This same company released a DVD that 'magically' turns water into beer. The so-called magic that this particular company releases is an embarassment to magic. There is also a 'magician' that has released some miracles: One of which is a torn corner of a card that apparently restores itself on the other side of a glass window and everything is examinable. Well - this effect is NOT EVEN PERFORMED on the 14 Minute DVD. He also has one in where the deck is CUT (not shuffled), a card is looked at and the magician tells the spectator what card is looked at. This friggin' miracle is a 10 minute DVD that uses a LOUSY effect, a LOUSY stack and a LOUSY routine.

Without boring you all with the other products..this is a small insight to what I am talking about...
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 9th, 2008, 10:10 am

I think we have discovered the real issue!

It is not so much the format of the single trick DVD that is the problem, it is the fact that some manufacturers are releasing crappy products.

This is certainly nothing new in magic.

And it is helpful when dealers such as Magic Apple are honest and inform their customers which tricks to avoid.
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 9th, 2008, 10:55 am

Sorry, but single trick DVDs are a pervasive problem.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Geoff Weber

Postby Geoff Weber » July 9th, 2008, 11:31 am

I think the fundamental issue here is "what is a trick worth?" Which is confusing, because pricing ranges so widely. I don't think its fair to compare the price of work released by a single individual to the collected works of 100s of people. That's like comparing mom&pop to CostCo, of COURSE Costco is going to be cheaper, but that doesn't mean mom&pop are trying to rip you off. Lets look at the pricing on Jay Sankey's "Airtight". If you bought in in Richard Kaufman's Sankey Panky, ($35 / 37 tricks), it cost you $0.95, unless you weren't interested in the other material, than it cost you $35. Or maybe you bought it on Sankey-tized Vol.2 ($30 / 8 tricks) it cost you $3.75. It was also sold by itself as a booklet with balloons for $10. Should Copperfield pay more to use it on TV than Mr.Magic who does it a birthday party? What if you don't use it to make a living, what if its just a toy for your hobby? The Collected Almanac has 378 tricks for $60, thats only 16 cents per trick. Is that what the going rate for magic tricks should be? What is fair compensation for a tricks inventor? Maybe it should all just be free online? If it comes with a gimmick, is it suddenly worth $100 more? Are you paying for the secret or for the craftsmanship of the gimmick? I know I could get most magic gimmicks fabricated for a fraction of the cost they retail for if I knew the secret.

Not everyone is capable of creating a book's worth of material like Jay Sankey, but they still might be capable of one good idea. Look at all the one hit wonders in the music industry. Having one good idea is not uncommon. If you only have one good idea, what should you do with it? Is it bad to try and profit from it?

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 9th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Richard,

I look forward to reading your thoughts in the magazine.

But so far, in this thread, nobody has been able to explain why they feel having the instructions for a packet trick on a DVD is worse than having instructions printed on paper!

It seems there are plenty of bad tricks (past, present and presumably future). Surely that is a separate issue from the way they are distributed.

There are also plenty of over-priced tricks. Again, this has nothing to do with the format of a one-trick DVD.

Thanks to technology, it is becoming easier for people to create and distribute their products. This is a double-edged sword. There is more crap to wade through, but more chance of original, innovative products making it into the marketplace.

I personally find reading e-books annoying (I can't wait for a future generation of the Kindle to come out.) But the ease of producing e-books has led to some amazing work being distributed. I'd point to Bresler's Switchcraft as an excellent example.

I just don't see how anyone is being exploited or ripped-off. We are getting lots more choice!

And the need for good, honest reviews (such as those in your excellent publication!) are more useful than ever to help separate the wheat from the chaff.

Best,
James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 9th, 2008, 12:23 pm

I wouldn't mind at all if the instructions were on a DVD and the packet trick was priced at $7.50 or $10. That's what a packet trick is worth. But you can have DVDs pressed for about 50 cents or less today, and people use that as an excuse to charge $25 to $35 for a single trick in which you don't receive a prop that has cost the manufacturer more than a few pennies (like a double backed card).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 9th, 2008, 12:24 pm

James Munton wrote:But so far, in this thread, nobody has been able to explain why they feel having the instructions for a packet trick on a DVD is worse than having instructions printed on paper!

I'll take a stab at it.

You could easily teach a packet trick via printed instructions. You would sell it for $10 (or whatever). Or, you get a mate with a camcorder to shoot a video and get another mate with some editing software to cut it. It's not lit well, the sound is flakey, the inexperienced editor makes what should have been 10 minutes into an hour. You feel you can sell that for $25 (or whatever) because IT IS A DVD!

This is what I feel about the topic. When I say 'you' I am not talking to anyone in particular. For the record. :D

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 9th, 2008, 2:36 pm

Thanks. So it would seem it's mainly the price that is the issue.

A few of you don't want to spend more than a couple of cups of coffee for something that has taken time, energy and expense to put together.

Richard, I'd love to know where I can get DVDs pressed for 50 cents. The best I could get was $2.00 for 100 DVDs pressed, packaged and wrapped. If I order 1,000 that goes down to about $1.40. The cards I put in with the DVD cost about $1.50 a set.

By the way, that is after I have spent quite a bit of money experimenting with other cards that didn't meet my standards.
I also have to pay for advertising and marketing.

As you know, there are more costs involved than just the physical product.

And most producers are doing small runs where you can't get economies of scale.

So if magicians really are so cheap they'll refuse to pay more than $10 for a trick, I'll tell you what will happen.

Small producers like me won't bother putting products out.
ALL you will have left will be the Brad Christians and Magic Makers of the world.

Finally, the crappy trick/shoddy production argument is irrelevant since it applies equally to all forms of magic products.

It is indeed a problem, but by no means limited to single-trick DVDs.

James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 9th, 2008, 3:17 pm

James Munton wrote:Thanks. So it would seem it's mainly the price that is the issue.

Not in the least. Let me try again.

You have two options

a) put out a trick for 10 bucks with printed instructions
b) put out a trick with a (usually) low quality DVD for 25 bucks

It is the same trick.

One has a DVD you don't need, that is poor, and has increased the cost by 15 bucks.

It's not the amount of money that is the issue at all. It is the pointless addition of an unnecessary DVD that is the issue.

Hope my view is clear now.

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 9th, 2008, 3:34 pm

But you are offering an impossible choice - nobody can put out a good packet trick for 10 bucks and hope to make it worth their time and effort!!!

Why not offer the choice of free magic trick plus a chocolate milkshake? I'd take three!

What if the choices were:

a) put out a trick for $20 with printed instructions
b) put out a trick with DVD (good quality) for $25

Would you still moan about the DVD?

I think some of you are still stuck in 1970's prices. People in the UK pay 10 bucks for a single gallon of gas these days!!!

Retailing at 10 bucks, I'd get $4 from the wholesaler and after deducting my materials and other expenses how many would I have to sell to possibly make it worth my time and effort?

Don't answer that, I'll tell you - too many!

If you think a trick is crap, I agree it is not worth any price. But if it is something good that you will use, surely it is worth $20 - 25?

If not, you all might want to find more affordable hobbies? I'm not sure what a set of knitting needles and some wool costs these days. Probably at least 10 lousy bucks!

Jeez Louise! Magicians ARE a bunch of cheap bastards!

Best,
James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » July 9th, 2008, 3:44 pm

I agree with mrgoat:

It's not about "price" it's about relative "value".

Can anyone name a combination of one-trick dvds that together (totaling $65) can compare to the wealth of information/teaching in, i.e., the "value" of say, "Revelation"?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 9th, 2008, 3:47 pm

James Munton wrote:But you are offering an impossible choice - nobody can put out a good packet trick for 10 bucks and hope to make it worth their time and effort!!!

Jeez Louise! Magicians ARE a bunch of cheap bastards!

Best,
James

You are wonderful at PR. I will be sure to invest in all your forthcoming releases.

The numbers I used were solely for illustrative purposes only.

Feel free to swop out 10 and 25 for x and y

My point, and I am astounded you still don't understand, is this:

You put out a product. Do you

a) put it out for $x with printed instructions or
b) put it out for x+$y bucks with an superfluous DVD no one wants

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 9th, 2008, 3:50 pm

Dave,

What a silly comparison.

Can you name a combination of random TV shows that compare in value to the cinematic genius of The Godfather?

You still watch and enjoy both.

It's funny that everyone who proclaims that it is not about the price contain a dollar amount somewhere in their post!
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 9th, 2008, 3:54 pm

MrGoat,

I get your point. I disagree with you!

James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » July 9th, 2008, 4:34 pm

In my experience, the majority of one trick DVDs contain tricks that are inferior to the classics.

But, from the sales figures, it looks like the bulk of the great unwashed magicians prefer to buy the one trick DVDs than the classic books.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing.

Often, magicians complain that the secrets of great magic are too readily available. Think of the criticisms of the Ammar Easy to Master series.

It seems to me that if the wannabee magicians are buying these one trick DVDs, the result will be that only those with a real understanding will have accesss to the really useful material.

It will be a case of not seeing the wood for the overly priced trees.

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » July 9th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Hi James:
--Above was merely "2 cents worth" trying to explain why some might prefer books over one trick dvds: "facile" perhaps, but not "silly"... :^D

--indeed, you re-framed my point for me in that flimsy t.v. shows usually don't compare to great movies...just as one trick dvds usually don't compare to great books.

That doesn't mean t.v. shows and one trick dvds have NO VALUE...in fact, IF a one trick dvd totally kicks ass, if it is rich & new, and its value is undeniable, then it transcends the usual "par for its genre", and CAN compare to a good book: and I say more power to everyone who DOES put out excellent/inspiring product/info/material on dvds...

But just because something's on a dvd, doesn't make that material inherently worth more (unless you can't read, I guess).
--Pretty packaging itself isn't rationale enough to justify the price if the info inside is mediocre, whatever hoops the producer has to jump through to get the project out there...

Of course, if the current trends hold, soon nobody will read anymore at all anyway, books will come to have no value, and video will be the only way to get info...

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 9th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Dave,

I agree with pretty much everything you just said.

Although ultimately I am more optimistic than you. I see a place for all the different media.

I too love books. But I am not a book snob. Books can be just as crappy as DVDs. There is nothing inherently "better" about either. They serve a slightly different purpose.

It's the content that is the important thing. Not the medium.

And without the content, paper is just paper. In fact, I wipe my bum with paper. Can't do that with a DVD though. Okay, it's time for my nap.

Best,
James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 9th, 2008, 5:12 pm

James Munton wrote:It's funny that everyone who proclaims that it is not about the price contain a dollar amount somewhere in their post!

OK, once more:

Hmm, I could put out a trick for x and make y. Or I could put out a trick for x+DVD and make y+DVD. Is the DVD needed? Nope. Will I make more profit, hell yeah. OK, let's go the DVD route.

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 9th, 2008, 5:19 pm

...is including a DVD and charging $25 the only way I could actually make this worth my time and effort?

...will magicians who aren't penny-pinching tight-wads enjoy the DVD and enjoy being able to watch the performance and learn the moves more easily?

Yes and yes.

Do I have a headache and need a nap?
YES!

James
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 9th, 2008, 5:53 pm

James Munton wrote:...will magicians who aren't penny-pinching tight-wads

Excellent business strategy to call your potential customers you are attempting to win round "tight wads".

OK, I get your point, you can make more money selling a DVD. Good for you. God bless capitalism.

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 9th, 2008, 7:42 pm

I would think true potential customers would prefer to know that I consider honesty more important than selling them stuff.

I get lots of calls from people looking for a $100 magician. I explain to them nicely that they will have to pay considerably more than that for quality entertainment.

Occasionally I get a call from someone like you who believes I should work for nothing. I'm not very polite to those callers.

Sometimes they come round to my way of thinking, but usually they don't. That's okay. I keep busy enough.

I see you live in Brighton. Fun place - I do love Brighton.

...but well known for being full of penny-pinching tight-wads :)
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 10th, 2008, 12:41 am

mrgoat wrote:You have two options
a) put out a trick for 10 bucks with printed instructions
b) put out a trick with a (usually) low quality DVD for 25 bucks

But of course most folks can't put out a trick with printed instructions.

Spend an hour reading the tricks in the Secret Sessions on The Magic Cafe, or other board. Most magicians can't write well enough to explain their opinions, let alone complex magical methods. And the complexity increases exponentially when you have to describe an unknown move, and cant rely on do an Elmsley count.

I suspect most people put out DVDs because they can point a camera at their hands and say put your left middle finger here, and do this

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » July 10th, 2008, 1:06 am

It isn't so much the choice of written instructions vs a DVD..the DVDs are CRAPPY CRAPPERSON. I have no problem with people learning magic by watching rather than reading BUT the EFFECTS on these DVDs are usually JUNK. Half the time, these 'magicians' can't even perform the effect. As in Arise and Cornered.

The Magic Apple will NOT even carry tricks from the previously mentioned 'magicans' even if they have an ABSOLUTE MIRACLE with a product in the future.
TheMagicApple.com

818-508-9921

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 10th, 2008, 5:39 am

As the editor of a magic magazine, I get many things to review. many of these are one-trick DVDs. The overwhelming majority of these are, as Magic Apple eloquently put it, CRAPPY CRAPPERSON. My latest horror was having to view something called 'Liquid', an ostensible card through window.

But how about multi-DVD projects? One such set, from a magician I much admire, and a company whose owner is a magician I admire as well, has three disks with a total of 146 minutes (2 hrs 26 mins) of material, 9 tricks in total. But there are many examples of projects tht have been stretched from 2 to 3 or even 4 videos.

Of course it's about the money. But it's also about the value. One trick from Bob White does not equal one trick from the dreaded Kevin Parker ('pSnype').

By Mr. Munton's logic, no one would write a magic book -- it's not worth it. (Or edit a magic magazine either, but that's another story.)

But it is sometimes about more than the money. The problem is that sometimes it is mostly about the money -- like bad novels, bad movies and bad TV.

Matt Field

James Munton

Postby James Munton » July 10th, 2008, 9:19 am

Unlike many on this thread, I have nothing but respect for those who write books, create DVDs, put out individual tricks, or produce magic magazines - good ones, of course.

This is exactly what I have been saying! Most people don't know how difficult and how much work goes into putting out a good product.

As much as I love performing magic, I also need to put food on the table like everyone else. So I charge for my services.

I've repeatedly said that I have no time for people who put out substandard products.

But I am happy to reward the creator of a good product the modest amount s/he charges. People are quibbling about paying $15 or $20 instead of $10.

I AGREE and HAVE SAID BEFORE that a bad product is not worth any price. But I am happy to pay a decent amount for a good magic book, DVD, single trick or magic magazine!

I think the thing we all agree on is that there are too many crappy products. I just don't agree that the one-trick DVDs are the problem.

And I tend not to buy crappy products very often, because usually you can just tell.

Anyway, I've got a plane to catch... Washington, DC here I come!!!
--
James Munton
www.jamesmunton.com

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » July 18th, 2008, 1:05 pm

I can't remember the last time I paid less than $15 for any packet trick. So maybe this isn't limited to DVDs.

Allen Tipton

Re: Genii Speaks (July, 08)

Postby Allen Tipton » July 20th, 2008, 8:51 am

Yes we must retain books. How else is a magician to learn to think & reason out for Himself.
It is also so much easier to turn back a page and refresh the information than dodge about on a dvd. And
Studying from a book makes the information stick easier in the mind as well as helping the creative forces to work, grow & extend your mental capabilities
Of course dvds can demonstrate a handling, a move but all too often young magicians especially will simply COPY what they see & just reproduce it.
One trick dvds are just a cheap way of getting money
Allen Tipton UK

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » July 20th, 2008, 9:21 am

To Michael, Allen and RK,

Here, here! I couldn't agree more....

Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » July 20th, 2008, 3:57 pm

You will be interested in this other thread... :^D

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » July 20th, 2008, 5:14 pm

bagelsandlox

Postby bagelsandlox » July 27th, 2008, 1:26 am

Listen up you wombats! You better strike now while it's early and boycott one trick DVD's.

Remember when attendants filled our Da's tank and washed his windows and checked his oil as a free service for buying gas?

Then they added a pump where you could pump your own gas ( not cheaper, just...if you were in a hurry ). Then two pumps and then...all the pumps were self service and no one checked your oil or washed your windows.

Buy DVD's with 20 tricks. BOYCOTT one trick DVD's or it will become the norm.

Be even smarter and BUY BOOKS!

And in supermarketts they have self service.

Randy Naviaux

Postby Randy Naviaux » August 26th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Buy DVD's with 20 tricks. BOYCOTT one trick DVD's or it will become the norm.

Be even smarter and BUY BOOKS!

There are some very good texts on this subject. I recommend "Focus" by Al Ries to start with.

You might as well argue about the way gravity makes it harder for you to get out of your recliner each year.

A local magician in Utah had the same concerns as many here. This magician in question has two products on the market: A compilation video and a "one-trick" video. He mentioned wanting to release the compilation on DVD or something to that effect. I urged him to put out the "one-trick" on DVD. He wanted to give value for the buck, etc. I bet him that if he contacted his wholesaler they would tell him that he had sold far more of the one trick DVD. (He did and they had.)

It hardly matters what our opinions are on this topic. The more focused the product the better it will sell. Put a volume of Tarbell on the counter next to a one trick DVD of an effect taken from that same book being sold for the same price...your going to sell a lot more DVDs. Heck you could even make it a manuscript and I bet you would sell more of those than the Tarbell volume.

Walking through a mall provides a lot of evidence for the power of focusing a product. The good news is there are lots of ways to focus a product.

Read the book. It covers this far better than I ever could.

Return to “Feature Articles”