Dynamo - Superstar Magician - Adidas

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.
Mats Kjellstrom
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Dynamo - Superstar Magician - Adidas

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » June 21st, 2008, 3:14 am

Street magic! Enjoy.

http://www.adidas.com/superstar

Now there is a new superstar among us and he goes by the name Dynamo. The magician from the UK turning heads world wide and doing it in a 3 stripe fashion! Dynamo is known in the UK as the Hip Hop magician, captivating audiences with his unique brand of street magic. Most recently seen dazzling Miami locals with his unique brand of magic and exposing the citys rich, local flavor through the eyes of an Englishman on holiday. To truly capture all of Miamis essence, Dynamo visited Little Havana, the Arts district, South Beach, locals-only hang-outs, and other areas off the beaten path, mesmerizing a wide cross-section of interesting people with his street magic.

Cugel

Re: Dynamo - Superstar Magician - Adidas

Postby Cugel » June 21st, 2008, 3:22 am

There's no more theater or charisma in celebrity anymore is there? One minute close to being a street person, next minute "superstar".

Wake me up when someone worthy gets elevated to that status.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 21st, 2008, 9:24 pm

This is a disguised commercial for Adidas.

"Superstar" is hardly the word to apply to this guy with a bad voice and no charm. He looks like he sleeps in his car.

Mitch Dutton

Postby Mitch Dutton » June 22nd, 2008, 8:35 pm

Hey Guys - a company as mainstream as Adidas is using magic to promote their products! And they're not exposing or making fun of magic or magicians! This is a GOOD thing.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » June 23rd, 2008, 5:31 am

Mitch - using a barely literate gang-banger who can "present" the tricks only as well as any half-assed teenager at any magic club with some chops and, like, no patter, dude. Thus showing that magic isn't exactly an art form to be mastered.

This would be... a bad thing.

Mitch Dutton

Postby Mitch Dutton » June 23rd, 2008, 9:25 am

Well, gee Cugel - I guess you haven't noticed that most of popular culture is headed that way. Spend some time looking at youth oriented tv/cable programming, and particularly how things are marketed to them!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 23rd, 2008, 9:42 am

Mitch Dutton wrote:Well, gee Cugel - I guess you haven't noticed that most of popular culture is headed that way. Spend some time looking at youth oriented tv/cable programming, and particularly how things are marketed to them!

"Most" youths are marketed at in the style of a chav pikey trailer trash mumbling f**kwit with the performing persona of a turd?
Last edited by mrgoat on June 23rd, 2008, 10:22 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Naughty Language :)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 23rd, 2008, 10:24 am

I've met Dynamo and have seen the first DVD he put out. I was mystified--he makes Criss Angel look like Einstein.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 23rd, 2008, 11:39 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I've met Dynamo and have seen the first DVD he put out. I was mystified--he makes Criss Angel look like Einstein.

That made me spit out some coffee laughing. Thanks.

Also sorry about the naughty word.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » June 23rd, 2008, 4:46 pm

Mitch Dutton wrote:Well, gee Cugel - I guess you haven't noticed that most of popular culture is headed that way. Spend some time looking at youth oriented tv/cable programming, and particularly how things are marketed to them!

And we're expected to like what is presented uncritically? You go right ahead, Mitch.

Mitch Dutton

Postby Mitch Dutton » June 23rd, 2008, 7:26 pm

I didn't say I liked it, or that you should. I just said that's the way it is. Frankly they don't give a f**kwit what we think, we ain't in the demographic.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » June 24th, 2008, 5:04 am

You said it, Mitch. Especially as you used f**kwit incorrectly, showing you're pretty removed from the "youth" scene.

That's Australian vernacular, by the way, so it doesn't actually fit in reference to discussion of Adidas - a US company - or Dynamo, a British magician.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 24th, 2008, 8:22 am

Cugel wrote:That's Australian vernacular, by the way, so it doesn't actually fit in reference to discussion of Adidas - a US company - or Dynamo, a British magician.

It's British, actually. :)

[url=http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/[censored]]Link to definition[/url]

And boy, does it apply to Dynamo.

raj k

Postby raj k » June 24th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Why so much 'hate'? I'm aware that with fame comes criticism, but seems like magicians in general are very hateful. I'm not familiar with this kids stuff, and in no way am I endorsing him. I would probably agree with many characterizations of his style.

Also, I'm not saying we should wholeheartedly applaud him. But, I see that whenever magicians attain any level of success (by any definition), it seems there's more negativity than positivity.

Are there any redeeming qualities the kid has?

At one time, I'm sure I could've won the Player Hater of the Year award. Seeing things differently now I suppose.

Thoughts?
-rk

Paul Cress

Postby Paul Cress » June 24th, 2008, 3:41 pm

First post, just dived in here. Hi

"HATE", strong word! but correctly used I think in YOUR context. I saw Dynamo lecture in London and even though he had trouble stringing two syllables together I found him strangely engaging in performance. His lecture was elementary but his manner was enthusiastic. Technique was rushed, covered by too much distraction, and sloppy. And he seemed to be very pleased with his creative mind.

I see his adopted(?) 'character' in a similar light to many here on the forum. For me it represents a caricature of the darker side of modern British youth, of a modern social character which, unfortunately(?), which I do not care for. It is associated with an image of lawlessness, discontent resulting from a poor upbringing. When watching Dynamo Im sure that some sense this association and feel accordingly. Some don't. Whatever the case, he's the first one to exploit the market, and its a big one. He will get his 15 minutes of fame.
I wouldnt say I hate him though, he does not interest me enough for that.

His baseball cap reminds me of that highly original walkman act of Dr.Stephen Bedwell in his pre-doctor days. Now that WAS a good act btw.

PC

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 24th, 2008, 4:41 pm

raj k wrote:Why so much 'hate'? I'm aware that with fame comes criticism, but seems like magicians in general are very hateful. I'm not familiar with this kids stuff, and in no way am I endorsing him. I would probably agree with many characterizations of his style.

Also, I'm not saying we should wholeheartedly applaud him. But, I see that whenever magicians attain any level of success (by any definition), it seems there's more negativity than positivity.

At one time, I'm sure I could've won the Player Hater of the Year award. Seeing things differently now I suppose.

Thoughts?
-rk

It's nothing to do with Playah Hating. It's to do with casting scorne over a kid that pestered people until they looked at him. Fair play to him for that. Before he made it he came to the bar at the International convention a couple of times and just went up to every single table and did magic on them. Whether they wanted to see it or not.

He also went to hip hop gigs and went backstage (uninvited) and had lots of pictures taken of him doing magic on music stars.

He was clever. No doubt.

It looked like they all booked him.

But, his magic really isn't good. This is not bashing someone because they have mild fame, it is because they are bad.

In my humble opinion, he is a charisma-less kid with sub-average chops and some XCM stuff the kids seem to like.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » June 24th, 2008, 6:02 pm

mrgoat wrote:
Cugel wrote:That's Australian vernacular, by the way, so it doesn't actually fit in reference to discussion of Adidas - a US company - or Dynamo, a British magician.

That's the problem with the Profanosaurus: many terms included without identifying their country of origin and then later assumed (because WIZ is published in the UK) to be of British origin.

Usage of the term in the UK dates back to the Aussie invasion of Earl's Court but it never took off until WIZ published their dictionary.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 24th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Viz's Profanasaurus was a fairly recent publication. Which Aussie invasion of Earl's Court are you citing? My Aunt came over (admittedly from New Zealand) in the mid sixties and was in the area.

I've been aware of the phrase since school, which was the early to mid eighties in Scotland.

Take care, Ian

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 24th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Cugel wrote:
mrgoat wrote:

That's the problem with the Profanosaurus: many terms included without identifying their country of origin and then later assumed (because WIZ is published in the UK) to be of British origin.

Usage of the term in the UK dates back to the Aussie invasion of Earl's Court but it never took off until WIZ published their dictionary.

It's not a link to the profanosaurus, but a wikidictionary. Sadly I couldn't much online about the derivation of the word, aside from this.

Have you got anything other than anecdotal evidence? Not arguing with you, genuinely interested. I have a feeling I have heard about a Scottish origin, as suggested. It sounds great in a Scot's accent anyway. :)

raj k

Postby raj k » June 24th, 2008, 7:25 pm

mrgoat wrote:....In my humble opinion, he is a charisma-less kid with sub-average chops and some XCM stuff the kids seem to like.

I've been fwd'd the link by another friend, and finally watched it. Ok, ok....all replies and depictions are warranted. I'm a major proponent of elevating magic. However, I have an admiration of his (and many other high profile magicians)tenacity and drive to become sucessful. btw: My teacher/friend wrote to me, "goes to show laymen dont know crap!"...

Mr. Cress' character anlaysis is very interesting, thanks for that. If that is accurate, he's got a great insight into connecting with the audience. Although seeing him for the first time, I thought he was a homeless spectator.

I feel the negativity is the 'easy' route. What are Dynamo's other redeeming qualities?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 25th, 2008, 4:09 am

I met Steve in Blackpool several years ago, on his first visit. He struck me as eager, but very set in the 'modern' attitude - he was collecting items for a newsletter/trick sheet he was doing (or was involved in) and kept asking if I knew any 'modern style' flourishes. I remember thinking that he reminded me of myself, ten years earlier.

Over the years he's put his determination to work, and has achieved a degree of success. He's always been nice to talk to, if one remembers that he is a kid from Bradford - remember that his accent, to a Merkin, is not that far removed from what Blaine sounds like to us.

As for the origin of F**kwit - one of Viz's early characters was called Terry F**kwit, and that was published in Newcastle from 1979. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_F**kwitt [RK: You'll have to fix those asterisks I've added to the URL in order for it to function.]

Take care, Ian
Last edited by Ian Kendall on June 25th, 2008, 2:16 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Language choice :)

Cugel

Postby Cugel » June 25th, 2008, 5:51 am

Yes, Ian, but Barry McKenzie and OZ magazine were published in London in the 60's, and scripted by Barry Humphries.

F**k-knuckle is another classic Australian derivation, though I admit the base word, f**k, is Anglo-saxon.

mrgoat: I know it wasn't a link, but as you say the so-called dictionary had no info on etyomology.

I think with the internet we will lose the ability to track etymologies - just as we lose the ability to secure credits in magic (look at the Roadrunner/Hofzinser BS). All I know is that term is like oxygen in Oz and has been since my grandpa played cricket for Katoomba in the 1930s, but is less common in the UK.

Not saying I'm proud. Just saying.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 25th, 2008, 6:34 am

Cugel wrote:mrgoat: I know it wasn't a link, but as you say the so-called dictionary had no info on etyomology.

I think with the internet we will lose the ability to track etymologies - just as we lose the ability to secure credits in magic (look at the Roadrunner/Hofzinser BS). All I know is that term is like oxygen in Oz and has been since my grandpa played cricket for Katoomba in the 1930s, but is less common in the UK.

Not saying I'm proud. Just saying.

I didn't mean to suggest you thought it WAS a link. Just wondered if you had found any evidence! I know the first half of the word is Anglo-Saxon, I imagine it is a bastardisation of half-wit, which is very much English.

Until we lose the notion that some words are 'bad' or 'naughty' then I guess we won't find serious history on the derivation of such words. Shame, as I bet it's interesting.

I don't buy that it's 'less common' in the UK than in Oz. But, with nothing more than anecdotal evidence, I guess we won't know.

Damian

PS did find this link on the BBC, (warning, due to the nature of the words being talked about, there are 'rude' words in this link)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A753527

I learnt some things today. :)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 25th, 2008, 7:05 am

Also, I'm not claiming the word, just mentioning when I encountered it. I asked earleir which invasion we were talking about.

Take care, Ian

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 25th, 2008, 7:44 am

I have a UK dictionary of historical slang published in 1972. While many phrases based on f*ck are included, this particular one isnt, suggesting it wasn't in common use in the UK then.

As for Dynamo - why is it that when someone tries to do magic in a unique style, they are often criticised for not doing it properly? surely originality should be encouraged.

Unfortunately for me, Dynamo's style looks like that of a f*ckwit. My loss I guess.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 25th, 2008, 10:11 am

Australia for teh win!

Of course the next question is are there really enough said individuals down under to neccessitate coming up with a name? :D

Take care, Ian

raj k

Postby raj k » June 25th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:.....Over the years he's put his determination to work, and has achieved a degree of success. He's always been nice to talk to, if one remembers that he is a kid from Bradford - remember that his accent, to a Merkin, is not that far removed from what Blaine sounds like to us.....

Thanks Ian, those are the things I wanted to hear. Criticism is fine as long as it's constructive. With all of this, I am trying to learn and enhance everything I do. Merely saying someone(thing) 'sux' is unproductive. Also, hearing the positive elements is inspiring.

I seek inspiration in a world where there's very little. Too much negativity is a downer. A little (-) helps me see what not to do. Too much (-) just pisses me off. I want to believe that everyone has some redeeming qualities.

-rk

Cugel

Postby Cugel » June 26th, 2008, 6:12 am

raj k wrote: Criticism is fine as long as it's constructive.

I would say as long as it's truly impartial.

Even if the assessment is negative - that's constructive in the sense that it points up flaws which might be corrected.

Danny Krakatowa

Postby Danny Krakatowa » June 26th, 2008, 9:11 am

mrgoat wrote:
raj k wrote:Why so much 'hate'? I'm aware that with fame comes criticism, but seems like magicians in general are very hateful. I'm not familiar with this kids stuff, and in no way am I endorsing him. I would probably agree with many characterizations of his style.

Thoughts?
-rk

It's nothing to do with Playah Hating. It's to do with casting scorne over a kid that pestered people until they looked at him. Fair play to him for that. Before he made it he came to the bar at the International convention a couple of times and just went up to every single table and did magic on them. Whether they wanted to see it or not.

He also went to hip hop gigs and went backstage (uninvited) and had lots of pictures taken of him doing magic on music stars.

He was clever. No doubt.

It looked like they all booked him.

But, his magic really isn't good. This is not bashing someone because they have mild fame, it is because they are bad.

In my humble opinion, he is a charisma-less kid with sub-average chops and some XCM stuff the kids seem to like.

It's rare that I respond to these posts but having worked with Dynamo for the past 6 years (as his manager) and seeing as this is a U.S site (so you may not be so familiar with him) I think it's only fair to set the record straight on a few things.

The idea that Dynamo's success is simply down to pestering people is a huge insult to the hard work and dedication he has show since he first turned professional aged 17. Where do you get your information from? You are wrong to think that he just turned up to gigs uninvited and pestered people - I booked him for those early shows and he was paid for every single one of them as well as being paid for numerous private events by those very celebs he 'pestered'.

Dynamo comes from a very tough upbringing on the Delph Hill estate in Bradford and has battled with a very severe an debilitating form of crohns disease since I've known him. Despite these setbacks he has worked hard to become one of the most successful & recognisable British magicians in recent times having appeared on virtually every major chat show in the UK (including Jonathan Ross & Richard and Judy) having shows on Channel 4, BBC and MTV and performing on last years MTV EMA's in front of a worldwide audience of over a billion people.

I certainly don't expect everyone to love his work and of course we understand that criticism (and worse) comes with success but I think Dynamo at very least deserves credit for being dedicated to his craft, opening magic up to new audiences and at least employing other talented magicians to work on his shows - surely this has got to be good for magic!?

Richard mentioned having watched (and disliked) Dynamo's first DVD, but this was shot long ago when he was a teenager and it's not really fair to compare this to a multi million dollar production like Criss Angels show.

There has been a huge amount of development over the last 6 years. Creatively he has produced numerous effects geared towards his audience such as the vanishing record decks (performed on his stage show in full view), colour changing shoelaces, kick up card routine, visual coin bends etc as well as being one of the first people to bring modern flourishes / XCM to the UK. He has also worked with some of the top consultants in the UK and US to create magic that is original, powerful and enjoyable for his demographic. He may not be the magicians magician, but I can guarantee that vast numbers of people love his work.

It's easy to bash people who are in the spotlight - especially if they're not there to defend themselves... and I appreciate that some of you genuinely dislike his work, but credit where credit's due... he's got this far and he isn't going anywhere soon!

Apologies for the essay, it will be the last thing I write! (no, I'm not going to top myself I'm just busy!)

best wishes,

Dan

raj k

Postby raj k » June 26th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Dan K,
Thanks for taking the time for your thorough response, I greatly appreciate it. Great to hear insight and background. While not my personal style, I can appreciate the struggle for success. I think part of the issue is detaching one's self from others. Feel free to contact me offline as your time permits.

>> Cugel - "...Even if the assessment is negative - that's constructive in the sense that it points up flaws which might be corrected."

True, True.

The essence of my sentiment is that I am inspired by the "good". The "bad" helps me learn, but is depressing. There's too much depressing [censored] out there. The Debbie Downers in my life don't get me off. The world is a rough place, but there are inspiring lights abound....diamonds in the rough. Reading/hearing/experiencing positive stories motivates me. Dwelling on negativity/criticism/hatered/etc does not.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » June 26th, 2008, 3:49 pm

Danny Krakatowa wrote:
The idea that Dynamo's success is simply down to pestering people is a huge insult to the hard work and dedication he has show since he first turned professional aged 17. Where do you get your information from? You are wrong to think that he just turned up to gigs uninvited and pestered people - I booked him for those early shows and he was paid for every single one of them as well as being paid for numerous private events by those very celebs he 'pestered'.

Well I unreservedly apologise for suggesting he gatecrashed gigs. All the pictures I saw a few years ago really looked like he was just turning up. As I personally saw him just turn up and pester magicians at the International Conference two years in a row, where I saw him just walk up to groups of famous magicians and uninvited just start doing magic at them I assumed he applied the same technique to get the whole 'hip hop' thing.

I am not bashing anyone, per se. I am voicing my opinion. It's not made easier because he isn't here, I would speak in the same way if he was. I really really dislike his performing persona and find his performance devoid of charisma and entertainment. I know he struggled and had a hard life and although that is admirable dedication, that *alone* is not a reason to like his magic.

But I do apologise for saying he turned up uninvited to gigs.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 27th, 2008, 11:06 pm

I just went over to the Adidas site and watched the Dynamo video. I was pleasantly surprised at how much better he's gotten in the past few years. I can see why they chose him--Adidas has a very specific demographic in mind and they think he'll hit it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Christopher Starr

Postby Christopher Starr » June 30th, 2008, 6:28 pm

While I do not care for his performance style, I can easily see where he would entertain the young Adidas customer base.

Return to “Link Watch”