Allan Ackerman's EATCT Pre-orders

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
DomC

Allan Ackerman's EATCT Pre-orders

Postby DomC » June 10th, 2008, 6:32 am

Pre-orders are being taken at noon today for Allan Ackerman's Expert At The Card Table...
http://www.houdini.com/includes.cfm?page=preorder.cfm
Dom.
Minds are like parachutes...they work best when opened.
Exitus acta probat.

James Kernen

Re: Allan Ackerman's EATCT Pre-orders

Postby James Kernen » June 10th, 2008, 8:01 am

The link above has input for credit card information but it isn't a secured link.....

It looks like you can use this link too:

https://www.houdini.com/includes.cfm?page=preorder.cfm This one appears to be a secured link....

James

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » June 10th, 2008, 1:05 pm

Here is a sneek peek at the liner notes for The Expert at the Card Table.

The Expert at the Card Table
Starring

Allan Ackerman

Plus an introductory film characterization of S.W. Erdnase,

The Prologue

Narrated by
Ernest Borgnine

Plus interviews by
Martin Gardner
Richard Hatch
Bart Whaley

Liner Notes

first draft 5-8-08

By Geno Munari

Allan Ackerman and I spoke about the idea of filming The Expert at the Card Table almost eight years ago. The thought of actually being able to see the correct way to perform the various card sleights and the correct way to perform the magic effects seemed at first thought a simple project, but as time went on it became an ongoing work in progress.

Allan is one of the few people in the world that can perform all of the items described in S.W. Erdnases tome. Allan does just that and more, since his gracious teaching style is clear and concise. I believe his work will be long remembered and studied by magicians, laymen and the curious. He is not just super capable but has extolled the virtue of patience in the studio and the shooting schedule.

Published originally in 1902 by the author, the enigmatic S. W. Erdnase. Ever since the book publication, the identity of Erdnase has been the topic of much debate and conjecture. At the time the book was written there existed a con man by the name of Milton Franklin Andrews. Some say that S. W. Erdnase was a name created by reversing the name Andrews and adding the se to round it out. Others argue that Andrews couldnt be the author because examples of his writing did not meet the high standards of the prose depicted in The Expert at the Card Table. Regardless of who Erdnase is, his book is the epitome of the art of conjuring.

Each day I trenched into the book, The Man Who Was Erdnase written by Bart Whaley, Martin Gardner and Jeff Busby. I highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in The Expert at the Card Table. The book is very detailed leaving a strong case that Milton Franklin Andrews was the author. Their extensive research on this illusive character intrigued me to the point I was almost obsessive into finding as much as possible about Andrews. Each day I discovered more information about this mysterious writer and it became clear that my mission in making this project is to keep their ideas and theories alive for future researchers. I decided that historical data must be added to the project therefore additional interviews and data is offered to the viewer.

Bart Whaley is one of the most interesting persons I have ever met. I was introduced to him in the early 90s and was familiar with his book Who's Who In Magic, but little more did I know about him until I completely read The Man Who Was Erdnase. I was impressed by the amount of research that was presented in the work with supporting footnotes and chapter notes. Simply well done. If I was so interested in this evidence directing one to the conclusion that Milton Franklin Andrews was Erdnase, perhaps Bart Whaley should be interviewed. I am pleased to be able to present this question and answer style of dialogue explaining some of his theory from the Whaley-Gardner-Busby book.

Mr. Whaley also led me to the pre Erdnase publication, How Gamblers Win. It is almost certain that Erdnase read this tome. In the limited edition version of this set, I have provided a reproduction of the book and an in depth analysis of the content.

Bart Whaleys methodology in analyzing a problem turned on a light in my cranium that I hope will never dim. It was indeed a learning opportunity for me that I will never forget. I think I have captured Whaleys methodology and curiosity.

Martin Gardners interview was indeed another highpoint in my life. The options of interviewing him on film or by telephone had obvious good and better points, however I decided by recording a telephone conversation with him would be less stressful on Martin than the rigors of a film crew invading his habitat. I think he could then simply talk to me in a more personal way without having to worry about anything else. After I weighed in all of the evidence on the theory of Milton Franklin Andrews being Erdnase, Martin Gardners words hammered home to me the conclusion; it was so.

The voice over interview gave me a chance to discover so much about Martin Gardners colorful and interesting career and accomplishments. I must thank Dana Richards for sending me rare footage of Martin Gardner. This is a real treat.

Richard Hatch is a walking encyclopedia on the topic Erdnase and The Expert at the Card Table. Richard has provided a detailed history of the book and many more extras. He has graciously let us include the Erdnase research timeline for the book and the publishing timeline for the book. He also has allowed the inclusion of the Gardner-Smith Correspondence. Thank you so much Richard.

During Richard Hatchs interview I found myself not paying attention to the technical part of filming but more to Richards interesting and meticulously accurate facts.

As the project was being pieced together I continued discovering more information and historical data. I didnt want this to be a one day wonder style of production. I wanted to offer something other than just the sleights and tricks. I deemed more and more data should be included in the project which brought more delays to release date.

I felt that one more thing was necessary to tie the project together and that would be a film characterization of the story of Milton Franklin Andrews. Calico, California is the setting for this stroll back into the year 1900. This small western mining town had all the facets that could have attracted Milton Franklin Andrews; money, gambling and suckers. So this small vignette was filmed in a place where Andrews may have visited. The first day I scouted Calico I stumbled on an old piece of cement. I looked down and saw the initials SW scrolled in the cement. If I were walking the other direction the letters would be M S. (The initials for Marshall Smith, the illustrator for The Expert at the Card Table.) I could feel goose bumps on my neck. This is a very strange coincidence. I knew at that moment Calico was the place to complete this segment of the project.

The specially crafted vignette The Prologue is narrated by legendary actor, Ernest Borgnine. Ernest Borgnine is an Academy Award winner, multiple Golden Globe winner, multiple Emmy winner and the recipient of many other awards and honors. I am honored for Mr. Borgnine to assist us in our story.

I will never forget the day working with him in the studio. Imagine, Mr. Borgnine being directed by Christie Wessling, (Director of Production) and myself. Mr. Borgnine is a big a star, yet he was gracious and most humble. He taught us a few tricks of his own about show business. I will never forget them and I am sorry I cannot reveal them to you because, just like magic tricks, you cant reveal them to the public. Haha.

(to be continued)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 10th, 2008, 9:14 pm

I think there are lots of us ready to buy the set, Geno!

Take my money, please!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » June 10th, 2008, 10:10 pm

Yep! Count me in, too.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » June 10th, 2008, 10:32 pm

Does anyone know for sure if the $129.95 set is for the "limited" edition, including the Marlo and other books? This seems like a very low price for everything. I just want to make sure that I am ordering everything available. Thanks
Don Hendrix
Tucson, AZ

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 10th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Yes, the $129.95 is the limited edition. The wording is not exactly clear, but I think all the people who order first are going to get a limited edition, and then the price thereafter will be the same, but for the standard edition.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » June 11th, 2008, 1:53 am

When is the deadline for taking pre-...? That way I can pre-order fri or sat.

Thank you

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » June 11th, 2008, 6:22 am

There is not a time deadline for the pre-order of the Special Edition.

Joneseymagic

Postby Joneseymagic » June 11th, 2008, 8:49 am

Geno

What is the price airmailed to the UK?

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » June 11th, 2008, 2:28 pm

We estimate it would be 17 to $20 USD.

Thank you for your interest.

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » June 12th, 2008, 10:27 am

What an awesome project and awesome deal! I got my confirmation email, so I'll just go sit my my mailbox now . . .

ScottPeterson

Postby ScottPeterson » June 12th, 2008, 10:48 am

Geno,

I have just sent you my confirmation info for shipping, do you have a target date when this shipping will begin?

Scott Peterson

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » June 12th, 2008, 11:06 am

I can't wait untill these are available. I know there going to be very very good. Allan was my first magic teacher so I am very anxious to see these.

Randy

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » June 12th, 2008, 10:09 pm

We hope to be shipping by mid-late July. If I have to personally deliver them..

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 12th, 2008, 11:24 pm

What a fantastic project Geno.

You and Alan have to be thrilled to see this finally winding down to delivery time.

It's the first release in a very long while that folks I know in real life, and folks I communicate with via this computer are actually hyped about and waiting for.

That it's Alan showing us the moves page by page is pretty damn special.

I'm also glad that Richard Hatch is involved and offering some additional perspective on Erdnase. I believe his work on Erdnase will prove to be important down the road.

Congratulations on being so close to shipping. My order is IN, and I wait patiently for the news that they're shipping!

George Olson

Postby George Olson » June 13th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Thank you for having the fortitude and patience to see this wonderful project through! I have preordered mine and I wonder how to pay you. The order form had a place for the credit card, but I wasn't too confident of the security...

May I just call in and submit payment that way?

George Olson

Geno Munari

Postby Geno Munari » June 13th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Yes you can call. Use the tol free number. 1-877-346-4946

And thank you very much.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » June 14th, 2008, 2:13 am

Thank you.

I'll do so first thing tomorrow!

GO

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 14th, 2008, 6:14 am

Getting Allan Ackerman for this series was genius on Geno's part. Allan knowledge of Erdnase material is vast, and his skills as a teacher are nonpareil.

Geno has obviously made this a labor of love. He resisted rushing the material out, taking the time instead to make sure everything was the way he wanted it. And including the additional material, like the Gardner-Smith correspondence and Ernest Borgnine-narrated prologue are cherries on the sundae.

The buzz on this is tremendous, with many card men in England looking forward to the release.

Me too.

This looks very exciting, Geno.

Matt Field

Don Stachowiak

Postby Don Stachowiak » June 17th, 2008, 5:35 pm

The anticipation for this reminds me of the the stories about all the buzz and anticipation that surrounded "Greater Magic" when it was coming out.
I am so glad it will finally be in our hands soon!
Now the only other major milestones I am waiting for are Part 2 of David Ben's Vernon biography, and Mike Caveny's re-edit of Revelations...

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 17th, 2008, 6:10 pm

The new "Revelations" is here Don:

http://www.mcmagicwords.com/books/revelation.html

Don Stachowiak

Postby Don Stachowiak » June 18th, 2008, 11:24 am

Roger,
How did I miss the announcement for this? I have been waiting for months! Thanks for the link!
Don

AJM

Postby AJM » June 18th, 2008, 11:43 am

I'm in for EATCT - just submitted my order.

Andrew

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » June 18th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Me too. I hope that I filled in the blank correctly.

Mats Kjellstrom
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield

Postby Mats Kjellstrom » July 10th, 2008, 1:57 am

Yo can NOW buy it directly from Allan:

http://www.allanackerman.com/

George Olson

Postby George Olson » July 10th, 2008, 5:35 pm

Although I've ordered mine, does anyone have a ship date?

GO

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » July 10th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Go back a page in this thread, Geno says he hopes to have them out by mid-July.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » July 11th, 2008, 10:49 am

Thanks!

GO

ScottPeterson

Postby ScottPeterson » July 12th, 2008, 8:49 am

Oh, man-o-man this time is almost upon us.....for the shipping that is. I am looking so forward to recieving my order!

Don Stachowiak

Postby Don Stachowiak » July 19th, 2008, 6:19 am

*sigh*

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 19th, 2008, 2:46 pm

I can't wait. We'll finally find out "what are the five best tricks in Expert at the Card Table."

Return to “Buzz”