Malcolm Yaffe

Discuss the art of Children's Entertainment with your fellow performers.
Mark Pettey

Malcolm Yaffe

Postby Mark Pettey » May 23rd, 2008, 2:58 pm

While persuing the new Genii this afternoon, I saw the ad for the new Malcolm Yaffe book. Since I am not familiar with him, I am curious about the book and author. I would really like to hear what anyone has to say who knows about Mr. Yaffe, and perhaps what the book covers. It looks interesting.
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
ROBBiE the RiNGMASTER'S
CiRCUS of MAGiC!

Jolly Roger

Re: Malcolm Yaffe

Postby Jolly Roger » May 23rd, 2008, 5:28 pm

I think this book looks most interesting, and seems to go deep into the psychology behind children's entertainment. I understand that Mr. Yaffe lives in England, and I believe he is in the legal profession, and not a full time children's entertainer. However, I could be wrong so feel free to correct me if I am.

Here is a link I have found:

http://www.hermeticpress.com/Books/Paths.html

I would welcome any reviews. JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Jim Kleefeld

Postby Jim Kleefeld » June 13th, 2008, 8:30 am

Paths to Enchantment has numerous clever tricks and routines, but is much more than that. It details methods and techniques children's magicians can apply to any tick or routine to make it entertaining. There is a strong mix of solid well thought-out theory, and usable practical material. For a more detailed critique, please see my review in an upcoming M-U-M.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » June 13th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Just for the record, and you heard it here first, I hope to be releasing my own book before too long! It looks like there may be a very slight overlap with Malcolm Yaffe's book as far as content, but I will tell you that there is not a single trick in my upcoming book. Here is a link:

www.SpiritualStage.com

JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » June 13th, 2008, 10:17 pm

...any tick... hmmmm... must be interesting! <wink>

Mark Pettey

Postby Mark Pettey » June 14th, 2008, 12:25 am

Roger, why do you have to dangle this carrot if front of us ?!? How soon, man ? Early fall, I hope !

I can't wait for this one....
Mark Pettey

Naples, FL

ROBBiE the RiNGMASTER'S

CiRCUS of MAGiC!

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » June 14th, 2008, 2:00 am

My plan is for late Autumn, Mark. However.............it may run in to next year, but I shall keep you posted. I believe, at the very least, it is likely to come out before "The Lives of a Showman" the wildly anticipated publication by David Ben which sounds fastinating!

Richard.......is a tick American for tricks? JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 15th, 2008, 5:53 am

Malcolm Yaffe ("Myster Yaffe" is a former lawyer, now a full-time kid's show pro, who has published many effects in a variiety of magic magazines. Born in Scotland, he lives in England.

Matt Field

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » June 17th, 2008, 1:33 am

I think so if this word "tick" mean "trick" in America. We could be wrong. Who knows? <wink>

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » June 17th, 2008, 12:03 pm

It always amazes me that you chaps(guys) call the Hoci-Coci the Hoci-Poci. The British are naturally correct in this matter, and I explain this to the children at my Birthday parties, so that they grow up informed! JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 17th, 2014, 5:44 am

Malcolm Yaffe passed away on Friday 10th January aged 76 years.

Growing up in Dublin his family lived on Kenilworth Road, a short walk from the local Synagogue, Malcolm attended St Andrew's College which had regular film nights. It was at one of these that he met Neville Wiltshire and they became friends. Malcolm was somewhat of a cinema buff.

Later they both met again as members of the Society of Irish Magicians, each not realising the other was interested in magic and both being members of the Boys' Magic Club of Prestatyn, a mail order club.

Malcolm went on to study law in Trinity College, Dublin.

In the 1960's Malcolm moved to the UK settling in Cornwall before moving to Leeds. He went professional in 1980 as MysterYaffe.

Malcolm was very creative, especially in the field of children's entertainment. His books, Magic For the Under Fives and later Paths To Enchantment ( http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_in ... ucts_id=49 ) published by Hermetic Press are two of the more intelligent books written on the subject.

Recently he came with a number of ailments, one of which paralysed his vocal chords so he decided to stop performing and concentrate on writing fiction. Unfortunately a heart attack stole him from us.

Malcolm was a character, a tad eccentric, who loved magic and who contributed a lot to it.

My condolences to his wife Meryl and five children.

Return to “Children's Entertainment”