Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants Returns to the Stage

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants Returns to the Stage

Postby Magic Newswire » May 22nd, 2008, 9:22 am

Ricky Jay is set to return to the stage on July 2nd with 36 performances of his "52 Assistants" show at the Geffen Theater in Los Angeles. Tickets go on sale on June 2.

Alan M

Re: Ricky Jay & His 52 Assistants Returns to the Stage

Postby Alan M » May 22nd, 2008, 1:39 pm

I missed Ricky Jay last time around, so I jumped on this to find more information... but I found no mention on Ricky Jay's site, Ticketmaster or the Geffen Playhouse home page. Both Ticketmaster and the Geffen website indicate a show called Shipwrecked as playing at the Geffen from June 17 - July 27, with very few days off between.

Does anybody have any additional information? I would hate to miss this show again. Thanks,
Alan

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 22nd, 2008, 2:09 pm

Alan,
Playbill.com, Broadwayworld.com and Theatermania.com are all carrying this press release. It seems that the Geffen Playhouse site may be a bit behind on updates. However, they don't have any performances listed for Shipwrecked in July (despite the fact that it says it's running from June 17 to July 27, they only appear to actually ave performances listed through the end of June). Also note that Ricky Jay tickets don't go on sale until June 2nd. If you have any questions, I'd suggest calling their box office line, which is listed on their site.

Geffen Playhouse

Anyone know if there are plans to bring the show to the East Coast? I caught Ricky when he was out here with "On the Stem", but I haven't seen 52 Assistants, and I would jump at the chance if he was out here.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Alan M

Postby Alan M » May 22nd, 2008, 2:31 pm

Thanks Jim. I should have just done a Google search instead of going directly to the sites I checked. My concern that I may miss out grew into a panic attack! Thanks again for the info,
Alan

Cugel

Postby Cugel » May 22nd, 2008, 11:10 pm

Don't miss it if you have the chance - it's terrific and has to be seen live to be fully appreciated.

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » May 23rd, 2008, 8:56 am

I second Cugel's rave. I was lucky to see Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants when he played Cambridge, Massachusetts a number of years ago. I had seen the HBO special and was delighted with it. But seeing it live - and close up - was wonderful.
Last edited by Frank Dudgeon on May 23rd, 2008, 8:57 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: deleted extraneous word.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » May 23rd, 2008, 12:51 pm

He's playing in the smaller of the two theaters. Most of the website is focused on the larger theater and the shows therein.

Tony Tuccillo

Postby Tony Tuccillo » May 23rd, 2008, 2:04 pm

The smaller of the two theatres is the Audrey Skrball Keins Theatre which seats only 96.

For season subscribers of the Geffen Playhouse you can actually order tickets now. The general public will be able to purchase tickets from the Geffen box office or Tickermaster beginning June 2.

From what I read earlier today prices will range from $75 - $115 with a special VIP package at $250 a ticket (front row seat, parking, drinks in the theatre's exclusive pre-show lounge and a deck of Ricky Jay playing cards!).
Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 26th, 2008, 10:15 am

The record setting $250 ticket is announced in a new article from the Los Angeles Times. LINK

Here's the press release from the Geffen as well.

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » May 27th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Good-Bye "economic stimulus" check
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » June 10th, 2008, 10:40 pm

I have never seen Mr. Jay perform live, but I am going to RJ and his 52 A next month at the Geffen Theater. I am curious, and I hope this isn't an inappropriate question, but I wonder how those who have seen him perform live would rate him among other magicians performing today and/or in the past.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » June 10th, 2008, 10:57 pm

I saw Ricky in "On the Stem" in NY a few years back. It was one of the best magic performances I've seen. There's no question in my mind that Ricky's one of the best out there.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » June 11th, 2008, 1:41 pm

For skill, for charisma that is uniquely his, for treating his audience like intelligent adults, and for absolutely frying all in attendance, I'd say he is at the very top. Seeing Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants was one of the most memorable experiences I've had. I had the same reaction to seeing Max Maven. Can't rate them 1 or 2. I can urge anyone, lay person or magician, to make a point of seeing either, or preferably both. I took a friend to see Ricky Jay, and the look of wonder on her face after the show was priceless.

Marc Rehula

Postby Marc Rehula » June 12th, 2008, 10:29 am

Surely he's taking the show on the road and stopping in Chicago. Surely. Right? Aw, come on, please?

Return to “Buzz”