AN INTERESTING BATTLE ON EBAY

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.
Robert Newman

AN INTERESTING BATTLE ON EBAY

Postby Robert Newman » May 12th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Anything suspect about this bidding battle?? :confused:
"A sound magician is a mighty god."
-Christopher Marlowe

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: AN INTERESTING BATTLE ON EBAY

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 12th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Uh ... let's see. The bidders are new and have no history?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Robert Newman

Postby Robert Newman » May 12th, 2008, 9:22 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Uh ... let's see. The bidders are new and have no history?

If that is all you see then that must be all there is to it :sleep:

What a true master of the obvious you are :D

Circle the wagons boys!
Hey Rube!
A brother is in need of assistance!

-Christopher Marlowe

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » May 12th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Robert Newman wrote:Circle the wagons boys!
Hey Rube!

It's not nice to abuse the boss. (Unless he's paying, but this isn't one of those sorts of places. Not that I'd know what one of those places is like. Never mind.)

Spiking eBay auction bids is only a problem when it's done by the seller. Since the seller is Dick Hatch -- clearly the poster child for "Most Decent Human Being on the Planet" -- I'm going to say someone with a lot of disposable income who really, really wants the set of books is going to make sure he gets the books and doesn't much care what the end price is.

My other guess is you're one of the other bidders.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 12th, 2008, 10:18 pm

When you list on Ebay, you can avoid this when you create the listing. You can block bidders with 0 or low feedbacks.

I don't think it's either too much cash by the bidders or that someone here is a bidder. My guess would be that someone may want to bust chops for some perceived injustice.

Knowing Richard, it has to be in this bidder's mind. He's a credit to the magic world.
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » May 12th, 2008, 10:31 pm

I must be missing something.

It's a set that's sold for $1100.00 in the past, and it's at $800.00 now.

It's a Dick Hatch auction, and it looks like both bidders joined ebay in order to bid on this auction......not that odd when you consider a full set of "Magick" doesn't come up all that often.
If I wanted a set, saw one on Ebay, and wasn't a member, I'd join ebay so I could register my bid.

Which begs the question, what IS your point?

James Kernen

Postby James Kernen » May 12th, 2008, 10:34 pm

I thought you could only block people with negative 1 feedback or lower.. I have had a few 0 feedback bidders (all international) and I tried to set up the rule and could only find the negative feedback... I will have to re-look into this...

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 12th, 2008, 10:53 pm

You used to be able to block someone with 1 feedback, now the number is a negative 1. I seem to remember you had to get an OK from the seller if you had less than 10 positives. I also thought there was a way to have an auction with with pre-approved bidders, sort of like Ebay Live. BTW Ebay Live will be discontinued by the end of the year.

With Ebay changing all the time, I can't keep up with it anymore. :(
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

James Kernen

Postby James Kernen » May 13th, 2008, 12:39 am

I will still look into again, since I know it frustrates some of my regular bidders.. I will follow-up if I find anything...

James

Robert Newman

Postby Robert Newman » May 13th, 2008, 3:48 am

John LeBlanc wrote:
Robert Newman wrote:Circle the wagons boys!
Hey Rube!

It's not nice to abuse the boss. (Unless he's paying, but this isn't one of those sorts of places. Not that I'd know what one of those places is like. Never mind.)

Spiking eBay auction bids is only a problem when it's done by the seller. Since the seller is Dick Hatch -- clearly the poster child for "Most Decent Human Being on the Planet" -- I'm going to say someone with a lot of disposable income who really, really wants the set of books is going to make sure he gets the books and doesn't much care what the end price is.

My other guess is you're one of the other bidders.

Sorry Mr. Le Blanc, but your guess about me being one of the bidders is dead wrong.

I was following that particular auction to capture a comparable sale of a four volume set for my database.

For the record, I currently own three sets of the things so I need another set like a $5 hooker needs another jump. :/

A good guess though...wrong, but good.

I was not impugning the seller's ethics but in my experience I have seen too many "friends" provide unsolicited manipulation of the auction prices of other friends or, conversely, bidders venting their frustration and anger on other bidders for some perceived transgression or wrong in an effort to inflate the price their antagonist winds up paying for a particular lot or lots.

Multiple newly registered bidders with 0 feedback suddenly surfacing to bid feverishly on a pricey item is, at the very least, a statistical aberration, and at the most palpable evidence of price manipulation...with or without the seller's knowledge or permission.

One can rationalize the outward manifestations this particular example to one's heart's content but if this were a horse race rather than an auction I would suggest that the outcome is a foregone conclusion and to restrict one's betting activities to "shows" at the $2 window.

And while on the topic of wagering, what would you like to bet, in real US currency, that the none of the 0 feedback bidders will capture the prize? I will lay you 3 to 2 that some individual, completely oblivious to his actual surroundings will be waltzed into the "winners circle."

-Christopher Marlowe

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » May 13th, 2008, 10:17 am

Are you related to Victor Grimes by any chance?

Robert Newman

Postby Robert Newman » May 13th, 2008, 2:15 pm

John LeBlanc wrote:Are you related to Victor Grimes by any chance?

[color:#FF0000]Uncle Vic![/color]

-Christopher Marlowe

BookCollector

Postby BookCollector » May 23rd, 2008, 6:21 am

Can't shed much light on the 'zero' feedback bidder but I can tell you that I was the bidder who lost out on the books by $2 (with about 4 seconds remaining as I recall).

On reflection I'm glad I didn't win. The price went too high. I guess I do fall into the category of "someone with a lot of disposable income who really, really wants the set of books"; I've been looking for the books for a long time but I'm sure they will turn up again for a lot less $$$.

Kurt Lee Flickner

Postby Kurt Lee Flickner » May 23rd, 2008, 9:00 pm

well, Book Collector, I would contact Robert Newman, he started this post, he says he has 3 sets. He is an extremely honorable book seller, you will not be dissappointed by him.
Kurt Lee Flickner
www.MagicEstateSale.com

BookCollector

Postby BookCollector » May 24th, 2008, 8:14 am

Thanks Kurt, I'll do that.

Robert Newman

Postby Robert Newman » May 25th, 2008, 11:04 am

Kurt Lee Flickner wrote:well, Book Collector, I would contact Robert Newman, he started this post, he says he has 3 sets. He is an extremely honorable book seller, you will not be dissappointed by him.

Thank you for your kind words Kurt!
The count is now two sets, none to the Brit, and both are mint.
One of the sets was formerly in the private library of magician Kirby VanBurch and it is cherry!

-Christopher Marlowe

Robert Newman

Postby Robert Newman » May 25th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Rudy, I have sent an e-mail to you at the address in your Genii Forum profile.

Thanks,
Doc

-Christopher Marlowe

Return to “Collector's Marketplace”