Advice needed - moving collection

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Brad Henderson

Advice needed - moving collection

Postby Brad Henderson » April 29th, 2008, 9:10 pm

Any advice on quickly yet safely packing a large number of books for a cross town move? Currently using bankers boxes and packing with spine side down if not packing the books upright. I read that was ok. Nothing heavy going on top other than some light paper back pamphlets.

Is that safe? (Please say yes, I'm 30 boxes into packing.) Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Brad Henderson

David Alexander

Re: Advice needed - moving collection

Postby David Alexander » April 29th, 2008, 10:15 pm

Be uniform in your box sizes. I moved from California to Illinois and did the packing for my books and valuable stuff. I did NOT load the truck.

Most of the books went in corrigated boxes although some went into bankers boxes. The valuable and expensive books were double boxed.

Mark the boxes as to what is in them and keep a list. Number the boxes. Keeping them in uniform sized boxes uses the space in the van or truck efficiently.

If you're just moving across town and have time, hire high school kids to load and unload a rental truck. Your back will thank me for this tip.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » April 30th, 2008, 12:41 am

When I move or store books, I pack them flat. I try to keep the books uniform in size when packing, this way they don't move too much when moving. I use boxes from Staples most of the time. They have lids and handles and make it easier to hump. Try to pack the books up to the top of the box. This way when you stack them, the boxes at the bottom don't cave in.

You may want to line the box with a large garbage bag. This way, if it rains when you move, you don't have a hemorage. ;)
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 30th, 2008, 2:18 am

thanks

Bob Kentner

Postby Bob Kentner » April 30th, 2008, 11:49 am

I agree with Kevin. I move my collection about every three years (You would think I would get a lighter hobby). I use the small book boxes from u-haul. Other than that, I pack flat and full so the books don't shift and I can stack the boxes.

Good luck.

Gord

Postby Gord » April 30th, 2008, 12:04 pm

The only advice I can give is to move the collection yourself.
No movers, no family, no friends.
You are the only one who knows the value of your collection, so handle everything yourself.

Gord

raj k

Postby raj k » April 30th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Gord wrote:The only advice I can give is to move the collection yourself.
No movers, no family, no friends.
You are the only one who knows the value of your collection, so handle everything yourself.

Gord

I must second this. My collection has had to be moved several times and I trust no one else to move it. 'Pro' Movers opt for speed and efficiency, and tend to overlook care in handling. Usually, I'll try moving the collection out prior to the moving company so there's no confusion as to what stays and what goes.

My art is only handled by myself.

However, I give the movers free reign over my wife's stuff....

JR Russell

Postby JR Russell » April 30th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Being in the military, I've moved alot...15+ moves. I also pack my valuable stuff myself. The books go flat and I use smaller boxes. The big ones are too heavy to carry and end up breaking due to the weight. I also put stuff in shoebox size boxes that get packed in bigger boxes. Tshirts/towels make good stuffing

I number each of the rooms 1 thru X and put that on the outside of the box so that my Kaufman & Co books don't end up in the garage or the shed and it ends up in the right spot and I know which box to open first. (I learned this the hard way on one move...went 3 years wondering where the hell some books went only to find out that the movers stuck the box in the garage and I never got around to opening it up!)

Don't mark the outside w/contents other than 'books'...don't write 'collectables' or 'valuables' etc

good luck
"JR"
JR Russell
"Fly Navy"

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 30th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Thanks.

Given the sheer volume I have been boxing the books spine down. I can fill a box with the larger books, it's not too heavy AND I don't have to worry about the books crushing each other with the weight. Read that was ok. I hope it is.

I would love to be able to hand carry everything, but it's just too TOO much. Some pieces will go on their own, but it's too large of a project just for me.

There are times when I would look at my "library" and bemoan how I should be spending more time cultivating it. Apparently it's been growing without too much help on my part.

Just bought another 60 bankers boxes.

Back to packing!!!!

Thanks,

B

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » April 30th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Spine down is much better than spin up, but flat will be best. I have been in retail bookselling for over 25 years and have boxes that have been in storage for long periods of time, all boxed flat in boxes that bookstores use to get their books and having stacked them five boxes high for well over a year, if properly boxed there is no crushing and all the books are as good as when I packed them originally. They key is to get them all the way full! Good luck. Moving sucks.
Peace, Joe

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 30th, 2008, 11:23 pm

Thanks. Will try and switch it up. Only another 4 shelves to go.

B

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 2nd, 2008, 1:01 pm

uline.com sells boxes very reasonably priced.

GET 12X12X12 DOUBLE STRENGTH corrugated. Bankers boxes are too weak and when filled TOO HEAVY.

I shipped 1300 books to Europe in these kind of boxes.

Jay Marshall used to move so often he used wooden whiskey boxes and stacked them as his bookshelves. That way every time he moved he never packed, he just stacked the boxes and in new place put them up as his book cases.
Stay tooned.

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » May 2nd, 2008, 5:03 pm

That is a great idea, he drank the whiskey first I assume. :crazy:

Return to “General”