Harry Lorayne's "Goin' Fishin'"

Discuss the tricks and sleights which appear in Genii.
Bill Evans

Harry Lorayne's "Goin' Fishin'"

Postby Bill Evans » April 15th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Someone help me out here, because I'm having trouble with the control. On page 20 at top of second column, we have the selection on the bottom. "I double cut the top card to bottom [if so, selection is now second from bottom], and then I complete cut the deck a couple of times, doing the HaLo Cut each time." To me that only retains the indifferent card on the bottom, while the selection is lost in the deck. In order for it to make sense to me, you would have to do the HaLo Cuts first while the selection is on the bottom, then double undercut the top card to bottom.

Am I missing something?

Harry Lorayne

Re: Harry Lorayne's "Goin' Fishin'"

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 15th, 2008, 2:04 pm

Bill: You're absolutely right. Just wanted to see if everyone was paying attention!! Joking, of course. Somehow the two things became inverted. Don't know if it was my fault or if it was the editor's fault, but what difference? Of course; you do the HaLo Cut a few times, keeping the selection at bottom, and THEN double cut one card from top to bottom. Sorry about this, Bill. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 15th, 2008, 2:08 pm

No matter if Harry made the mistake in his initial write-up, all mistakes of this sort are the editor's fault because it is his job (oh, that would be me) to make sure they are caught in advance! I don't have time to look it up, but I'm curious to know if the mistake is in the original explanation in Afterthoughts. Either way, I'm sure Harry will correct it for "Classic Collection Vol.2" on which he is currently working.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 15th, 2008, 2:28 pm

Hi: Just checked my original write-up in AFTERTHOUGHTS. No; no mistake (or inversion) there. Nor is it in my updated re-write that will be in CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 2. How the hell it happened in the Genii article is a mystery - I'm real careful about things like that as I know Richard is. Is a puzzlement! Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » April 15th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Good call Bill. I scanned the effect last night but was watching "The Ghost & Mr. Chicken" starring Don Knotts. LOL! I could not resist checking out Harry's write up in Afterthoughts page 40. This revived my intrest in the Halo and today reading Halo Aces in Rim Shots. Guess the memory needs some work. Any suggestions? LOL! Take care all.

Bill Evans

Postby Bill Evans » April 16th, 2008, 11:33 am

Out of all the HaLo routines Harry has put out, I think Royal Halo is my favorite. Direct, to the point, with a great finish. Follow it with Spectator Cuts to Aces and you have a great routine. I think it's in Personal Collection. What's your favorite Harry?

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 16th, 2008, 3:58 pm

No favorites, really, Bill. It'd be like saying which is your favorite child. The first two items in RIM SHOTS are the ones I use most often - HaLo Aces and HaLo Again. HL

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 16th, 2008, 6:10 pm

I have a favorite Harry Lorayne trick -- it's the Moving Pencil from Close Up Card Magic. One of the all time greatest tricks you can do with any deck handed to you.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 16th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Aaah, Pete: Wanted to keep that to myself!
Forgive me, but whenever CLOSE-UP CARD MAGIC is mentioned, I feel that I MUST mention that you're much better off purchasing LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, which contains the re-write, updating, upgrading, etc., that book, plus four others, plus a bonus of 16 blockbuster (my opinion) routines. Best - HARRY LORAYNE. (Pete: You have excellent taste!)

JimChristianson

Postby JimChristianson » April 17th, 2008, 1:42 pm

I'm with Pete and Harry, on this one. Moving Pencil KILLS. Everytime. I once had someone challenge me to do it without being able to see. So a woman appointed by the challenger stepped behind me and put her hands over my eyes, leaving a half-dollar sized gap. Great gal, she!

About Close-Up Card Magic. I nearly gave myself arthritis as a twelve-year-old trying to learn the Turnover Change.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 17th, 2008, 2:39 pm

That brings up an interesting point: how many people out there USE the Curry Turnover Change?
My question is not: "Have you played with it, or done it in the past."
BUT: "Do you use the Curry Turnover Change NOW, in a routine you regularly perform?
I ask this because the only two people I've ever seen use it are Harry Lorayne (almost four decades ago) and Larry Jennings (almost three decades ago).
Does anyone use this sleight anymore?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 17th, 2008, 2:46 pm

It may be a fit different but Armando Lucero does a killer turnover change. I believe Pat Page does the Curry very nicely.
Stay tooned.

JimChristianson

Postby JimChristianson » April 17th, 2008, 4:41 pm

In a routine? No. As an out, yes.

I'm probably an odd case, though. Close-Up Card Magic was my first magic book! I bought it at Tannen's at age 12, and had Harry autograph it on the spot. (There's nothing like jumping in the deep end, I guess...)

I figured the Turnover Change was as basic as a double-lift. After all, it was in the only magic book I had, so all card magic must be like that.

I set about learning it, and have done it every day for :mubmlemumble: years.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 17th, 2008, 4:41 pm

Curry's Turnover Change is one of the most magical changes of a card (or CARDS) when PROPERLY DONE. Meaning the proper misdirection, and so on - which I taught when I originally taught it over 50 years ago!! HL (Yes; I still use it - see some of the effects in the CUCM section of L:TCC (volume 1). Most teach the proper misdirection.)

JimChristianson

Postby JimChristianson » April 17th, 2008, 4:42 pm

....what Harry said.

David Moore

Postby David Moore » April 17th, 2008, 4:52 pm

...how many people out there USE the Curry Turnover Change?

I've been doing 'Synchronicity' for years using Larry's version of the change. Does that count?

Steve Cobb

Postby Steve Cobb » April 17th, 2008, 5:41 pm

I too learned the Curry turnover change from Close Up Card Magic. Harry did a fantastic job of explaining it, and I was most proud of myself when I learned it in my "yute" I still perform Chango Cards and Red Ace Black Ace, mostly in the spectators hands. Actually, I need to incorporate it more in other tricks. Other than CUCM, and I have most all of Harry's books, where there any more tricks described in Harry's works that used the change. I just looked up "Match made in heaven" in Apocalypse which I almost forgot about. Any others??

paulsunday

Postby paulsunday » March 6th, 2009, 12:58 am

I bought this book almost 30 years ago---while watching Norman, Gordon, Haydon, and Fechter all perform at the Forks. Lots of great stuff in this book, but to me the best part (and rarely mentioned) is his explanation of the Curry Turnover Change at the end of the book. 50 pages to one sleight! With fantastic Ed Mishell illustrations. In this book he was as good as any illustrator before or since. Both the mechanics and the misdirection(motivation and timing)---are explained well. The first trick--The Little Card That Wasn't There--can be a killer---I still do it. It is a trick some laymen do (glide based)---but improved. Put five cards on the table, spectator is SURE their card isn't one of the five, but then.... I've never seen Lorayne teach any of these (curry change) routines on tape, but I'd like to. Folks say there are better changes of a card around---and there probably are---but I don't get caught with this one when done at the right moment.

I've also done Lorayne's simple version of the Dunbury Delusion (called Revelation) for 30 years. I use the Kelly Bottom Placement as a control, a jog shuffle, and the glide. For laymen, the coins seem to take the heat off the glide. Read the book to see what I mean.

Return to “Magicana”