Name of rubberband trick

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Mallakite

Name of rubberband trick

Postby Mallakite » March 13th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Hello, does anyone know the name of the rubberband trick Michael Ammar does in this video at 8:10 and where I can learn it? Thanks.

History of Magic - Close Up

jerry lazar

Re: Name of rubberband trick

Postby jerry lazar » March 13th, 2008, 2:02 pm

It goes by the cryptic name "Broken and Restored Rubber Band"... It's on his Rubber Band dvd, available at ammarmagic.com ... Have fun!...

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » March 13th, 2008, 2:02 pm

It's the Broken and Restored Rubberband -- I believe it's taught in his book, "The Magic of Michael Ammar".

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Harry Entwistle

Postby Harry Entwistle » March 13th, 2008, 3:33 pm

It's in Michael Ammar's DVD, "Classic Renditions Volume II"

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » March 13th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Dammit! That's my SNAP! My trick, my idea, NOT AMMAR'S. Just for the record. HARRY LORAYNE. (What in the world would Michael do if it wasn't for others coming up with stuff THAT HE CAN TEACH as his own? Just curious. HL.

Mallakite

Postby Mallakite » March 13th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Hello Mr Lorayne, which book or DVD of yours is SNAP! in? Thanks.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » March 13th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Mallakite: Snap! originally appeared in a book called HEX, 1969. It started (so I've been told) the rubber-band craze. I then published in in REPUTATION-MAKERS (1973, or so - which I'm re-writing, updating, etc., in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 2. I also perform and teach it in Vol. 3 of my "Best Ever" DVD set. HARRY LORAYNE. (Incidentally, I've been told - I haven't seen it - that you don't want to do Michael's handling - stick to the original!).

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 7th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Hey Mallakite--if you're interested in rubber band magic, you might want to look out for Vinny Marini's upcoming DVD [i]Italian Bandstand. Vinny has an unbelievable Ring off String sequence that will have you rubbing your eyes.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 7th, 2008, 11:53 pm

Hey Leonard: I think Mallakite is interested in SNAP! HL

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 8th, 2008, 7:03 pm

That's right Harry. Vinnie also has a version of SNAP! on his DVD. It's called the "Breakaway Bracelet."

Edward

Postby Edward » April 8th, 2008, 10:33 pm

Vinnie's Breakaway Bracelet is an excellent effect.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 8th, 2008, 11:30 pm

Leonard: So far as I know, Breakaway Bracelet is NOT Snap!

vinny

Postby vinny » April 9th, 2008, 11:34 am

Hi Leo thank you for supporting my work and my up comming dvd
Italian bandstand,,
Hi Harry breakaway bracelet is another version of the broken and restored rubberband,no way resembles snap.
However I credit you on my dvd as the creator of the broken and restored band. without your influence others like me would not be working with the bands,,
Harry if you would like a demo of the effect let me know and i will send you my handling of the broken and restored band
take care
vinny
the godfather of magic

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » April 9th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Thanks, Vinny. No need to send it, I believe you did once, long time ago. It's excellent, etc., but thanks for confirming that it isn't SNAP!. Regards, HARRY L.

magicbar

Postby magicbar » May 25th, 2008, 4:41 am

yes Ammar did a nice job of using a bartender from the Forks Hotel Card on Ceiling routine including the 'sucrets' box gag as the Ammar Card on Ceiling in his big green book - just reference (lousy claim when I can't remember the fact, huh..) the book had a title, " -name- 40 years at the Forks' book - am I incorrect? (Doc Eason wrote the intro) If so, I apologize to all. As I remember Ammar got alot of criticism over time for publishing others' material in his projects. Again, if incorrect I apologize. Also Harry, I remember reading when you made a similar claim about the Vernon-Cervon Vietnam Trick.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 25th, 2008, 11:17 am

The bartender is Karl Norman, who invented the version of Card on Ceiling using a Sucrets box.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » May 25th, 2008, 1:51 pm

Yikes!
Here we go again...doomed to repeat, recycle, re-activate, re-aggravate, review, and in the process cause bystanders who are uninterested to "bolt" or "revolt"...
At the risk of annoying my esteemed colleague, Harry Lorayne, who I truly admire and like, here are a few "old news" notes regarding the mooted provenance of the BROKEN AND RESTORED RUBBER BAND. Meanwhile, we can certainly give credit to Harry for dramatically bringing this trick to our attention and popularizing it...especially in light of when this "thunder" is stolen by whomever commands (no matter for how short a reign) the bully-pulpit of mass-produced DVD teaching tapes. THat being said, here is another fragment or FOOTNOTE to consider or REconsider:

FOOTNOTE ON THE BROKEN AND RESTORED RUBBER BAND

Many years ago I published a modest variation of the broken-and-restored rubber band in Genii (November-1991). It was titled Convincing Snap and I included a capsule history of method devised for this trick. After it appeared, I received a short note from Harry Lorayne disputing one of my references. He said that the version explained in Martin Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic (1978) was NOT part of the Hugard's Magic Monthly series as I claimed. It was added later. Harry, therefore, wanted me to publicly rectify this inaccuracy.

I was initially nonplused, but Harry was correct. The explanation WAS added later, even though most readers assumed that Magic Inc.'s book is a verbatim reprint of the installments that appeared in Hugards Magic Monthly. If the handling of the broken-and-restored rubber band, namely the get-ready, had appeared in Hugard's, it would have PREDATED Harry's contribution to Hex! (1969). Hence, it would sully Harrys claim of originality. This is what motivated him to write Jim Patton (who was then the editor of the Magicana section of Genii at the time), taking exception to this sentence published in Genii:

Lorayne writes in Reputation-Makers that Walt Rollins invented the original concept and performed it during lectures.

Harry amended:

I did not write in Reputation-Makers that Walt Rollins invented the original concept. I wrote that I was informed...that the idea of breaking & restoring a rubber band was... Walt's concept.

This is what often happens when we make casual references. Later we are often forced to parse how we said something; to clarify this and that detail. Harry probably now regrets mentioning Rollins in first place. The way it is written, Harry was alluding to the idea of breaking and restoring a rubber band. Either way, Rollins was not the first magician to break and restore a rubber band. Since the word concept is thrown in, suggesting a more sophisticated mental construct, I assumed that Harry was alluding to a SPECIFIC handling.

In my write-up I used terms such as underlying notion and concept rather loosely. My mistake. I was really referring to the old idea of doubling up a rubber band and then stretching it between your fingers as though it was a single, unbroken loop. This approach, in Martin Gardners words, was an old idea, familiar to schoolboys. The chain of assumptions continued. Harry then assumed that I was specifically referring to the get-ready.

Later, in the Genii article I specifically mention this get-ready and pointed out that Kuda Bux (credited by Gardner) used an identical get-ready to the one explained in Hex! At the time I wrote the capsule history in Magicana, I was focusing on two different references and not specific, dated provenance. Therefore, I happily gave Harry, Kuda Bux, and Walt Rollins the benefit of the doubt. Besides, it was largely hearsay to me.

Therefore, hoping to do the right thing, I published a correction in Genii (February-1992) to set the record straight about the Kuda Bux handling explained in The Encyclopedia Of Impromptu Magic. I wrote that Lorayne should get full credit for the method and handling. This does not necessarily prove anything nor should it suggest mean Rollins and Bux, on their own and in their own ways, devised similar methods. I was also not imputing impropriety. As Jim Patton put it, Harry's method was the first of its kind to see print.

I agreed with this assessment and still do.
Another battle ensued between other disputants who (at the time) were at odds. Since then there has been many cease-fires and treaties between the agonists. This of course is a good thing.

As it stands, nobody seems to REALLY know the indubitable truth about who invented the original concept or get-ready.

Choose your own winner, loser, or victim.

The name HARRY LORAYNE works for me...

Onward...

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 25th, 2008, 1:55 pm

Hi Magicbar: Which "similar claim" are you referring to? HL

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 25th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Jon: Good post. One thing I'd like to make very clear: I have a letter on file from Martin Gardner apologizing to me profusely for adding the Kuda Bux thing AFTER THE FACT. He says he made a mistake and says that there was something wrong with Kuda near the end, and he simply copied my Snap! after I'd shown it to him, then he showed it to Martin, saying it was his. For the record: KUDA BUX NEVER, EVER, DEVISED A BROKEN/RESTORED RUBBER BAND HANDLING, OF ANY KIND, WITH OR WITHOUT A BLINDFOLD. (Talk about "stealing thunder" as to the person you refer to above.)

So, I'm glad my name "works" for you, Jon, since the damn Snap! handling is MINE. Now I don't know whether I want to take the credit or the BLAME for starting the "rubber-band craze" way back in 1969. Best - HARRY L.

Alton

Postby Alton » May 25th, 2008, 2:35 pm

If memory serves, Michael Ammar does explain the differences between Snap (he gives full credit to Harry for the Snap routine and shows what he claims is the original Snap routine)and the handling he does on his Classic Renditions video.

If the explanations/demos are correct is something the parties in question would have to look at. I have not seen Harry's write up of the effect so I can not say for certain. I do remember him crediting Harry. Obviously though, he didn't contact Harry regarding this.

AT

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 26th, 2008, 4:43 pm

No, I was not contacted or asked. Had I been, I'd have said NO. I originally taught SNAP! in Hex (1969) but I also taught it in REPUTATION-MAKERS. And, if someone wanted to learn it I'D PREFER HE PURCHASED THAT, not an Ammar rip-off. Why not? Why in the world should originators not sell their stuff, etc. How easy it is for rip-offs, not creators, to sell other people's stuff. Gimme a break! You want to learn SNAP!? It's being re-written, updated, etc., in LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 2. Would I prefer that you learned it from me and not from some rip-off? OF COURSE! What a silly question! HL

Alton

Postby Alton » May 26th, 2008, 9:18 pm

I do stand corrected on my statement that I haven't seen Harry's write up - in a way. I do have his Stars of Magic vhs teaching tape (I know its on there) that I picked up and I have all of his vhs tapes of Best Teacher Ever he put out through L & L (can't remember which volume its on since they are boxed up. One of the later ones is all I remember. Man I have to get the dvd's.

Like I mentioned before Harry, after seeing your name pop up so much in the Ammar stuff, I did go to the source. I bought all the books and videos I could find at the time.

AT

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » May 26th, 2008, 10:29 pm

Good thinking, Alton. Quite honestly, I didn't know that Ammar was crediting me - not that that makes it all okay for others to teach a creator's ideas when the creator himself is selling them. Best - HL

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » May 27th, 2008, 2:50 am

It always amused me that when Ammar published snap in MAJ he headed it "HARRY LOYAYNE'S SNAPPED"

Return to “Close-Up Magic”