LA hangouts

Where local magicians eat, meet, and greet.

LA hangouts

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2004, 4:47 pm

I was wondering where magicians in LA hangout, other than the Magic Castle? I'm sure people hangout at magic shops but are there any places that are not as well known. You sometimes hear of places in Las Vegas or Chicago or New York but what about Los Angeles?

Re: LA hangouts

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2004, 5:01 pm

Several spots.

Magicians are often hanging out at some magician's weekly restaurant gigs. Johnny Ace Palmer gets a lot of magician regulars at his Earth Wind & Flour restaurant in Sunday evenings in Santa Monica. I get some at Stick 'n' Stein restaurant in El Segundo and Lula Cocina Mexicana in Santa Monica, but not as many as Johnny.

Some pretty fine magicians hang out at Dean's Shoppe, a haircutting salon owned by Dean Dill in Glendale.

I would also check out Federico Luduena's weekly magic cabaret at the Marie Callendar's in, I think, Burbank or Glendale on Friday and Saturday evenings. There are always magi hanging out those kinda places.

Of course Hollywood Magic, but I sometimes hang at the Magic Apple and talk with Brent.

Of course there are always the official clubs, like my own club, the SAM in Alhambra (assembly 22). One particularly good one is SCAM in Hawthorne. For the above two clubs, contact Bob Bolivar in the 805 area code (he drives a long way to get there) or Doug Slater in the 562 area code.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » August 19th, 2004, 2:30 pm

When I did the Castle a few weeks ago, there was an IHOP (near teh Castle) I went to twice that had a lot of magicians jamming late at night ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 10th, 2004, 11:23 am

The hottest of the hot hang at Dean Dill's... Weber, Carney, Smith, Dr. Bill, Me... hahahaha even a few of the waiters from the Magic Castle show up to demonstrate their card skills. :sleep:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2004, 12:05 pm

...hmmmm....

Postby Guest » September 10th, 2004, 3:17 pm

One of the famous magicians from the Legend of room 504 may show at Dean's Shop sometime soon... that's the hot tip!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 10th, 2004, 4:57 pm

Room 504 ... ?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » September 10th, 2004, 5:17 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Room 504 ... ?
I thought it was Room 502. At MAGIC Live! a number people, including Michael Weber, David Blaine, Penn, Teller, Chris Kenner and, rumor has it, God Himself ended up in room 502 where Jamie Schoolcraft was spinning his lathe. I'm sorry I missed it since I'm something of a lathe-phile myself.

On the other hand, maybe it was room 504 and there was a different kind of excitement going on.

John LeBlanc

Postby Guest » September 17th, 2004, 3:13 pm

It was Room 502, but there was a funny smell coming from 504....LOL!

Return to “Magician's Local Hangouts”