When magic goes wrong...

Addresses new and interesting links to other sites (not listed on the Genii website) that merit attention.

When magic goes wrong...

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2006, 7:48 pm

Re: When magic goes wrong...

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2006, 8:45 pm

Ditto. I couldn't believe the second guy. Putting yourself at risk is one thing. Actually endangering a spectator is unforgivable in my book.

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 4:35 am

And thus was another audience member trained to hate magic and magicians forever...

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 4:50 am

Was he trying to remove a splinter?

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 4:52 am

Oh no no no ....

I simply cannot believe it. Oy.

John R

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 5:22 am

As the victim said in the video - "For a lady, an apology comes with chocolates and flowers."

She could have finished with "For a magician, assault comes with handcuffs and a 3 year prison sentence."

Idiot.

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 8:23 am

And he apologises to the audience, and they applaud for him? Weird

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 9:06 am

I was at that show. I know all the people concerned. It was not a happy evening, for anybody.

Dave

Rafael

Postby Rafael » October 3rd, 2006, 9:50 am

Just met the girl in the video (Julie) she is still waiting for her chocolates & flowers :-)

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 10:16 am

That was really difficult to watch.
What is it with this trick?
Why are so many people doing it and why do they keep doing it wrong?
I understand the power of this plot but holy crap it's getting out of hand! :p

Is the method or the performer to blame?
Seems to me that a pro would make sure the method was fool proof and loaded with failsafes.

That was really difficult to watch.

Elliot

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 11:07 am

That woman is REMARKABLY GRACIOUS about it I think!

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 12:20 pm

At least pulling out a woman's bra tied between two scarves only leaves mental scars....Holy cow!!!

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 3:02 pm

I'd hazard a guess that this would have had a remarkably different ending if this had been an American audience. As well it should have, if you know what I mean. The guy should be beaten and THEN turned over to the cops.

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 3:25 pm

From the video, it's pretty clear that the reason the poor woman's hand got spiked was that she was jerking it towards herself as he pushed it down towards the correct cup. I don't mention this to place blame on her (she was obviously scared and acting instinctively), or to completely exonerate him (he obviously chose the wrong spectator and handled her poorly). It does, however, suggest that beatings and jail-time would be out of line.

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 3:34 pm

No... it's still deserved.

Dave Andrews

Postby Dave Andrews » October 3rd, 2006, 4:32 pm

Not to 'qualify' anything, but I think it 'helped' the magician that Julie is a magicienne and not your run of the mill spectator/assistant.

Best,

Dave

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 3rd, 2006, 5:34 pm

There are fool proof methods, and they are the fools that prove it. BTW, it did look like SHE caused it by pulling on his hand. Dumb. :whack:
Stay tooned.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » October 3rd, 2006, 6:08 pm

I'm sorry, I still think this is a stupid trick. My god, we just want the illusion of danger, not real danger.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 3rd, 2006, 8:11 pm

I think it's time to really consider whether or not anyone should do this trick. Think of all the magicians who've stabbed themselves, and now think of all the laypeople who are going to have their hands pushed down onto a spike.

That's not entertainment, it's stupidity.

As for the second magician in the video, he was pushing her hand down over a particular cup--whether she pulled her hand one way or the other seems to be irrelevant. He was aiming toward the WRONG cup. I can't believe she didn't call the police or sue the dumb bastard for battery. This not only proves that he's an idiot, but she's an idiot, too!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 8:49 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
BTW, it did look like SHE caused it by pulling on his hand. Dumb. :whack:
Whats dumb is that he didnt foresee the possibility that she would attempt to jerk her hand away at the threat of what turned out to be a very real danger -- as any sane person would. It didnt look to me like she caused it; as RK stated, it appears he was forcing her hand down onto the wrong cup. However even if she did contribute, the magician bears full responsibility for attempting such a stupid stunt. Does anyone else do the trick in this way, where a hapless spectator plays the pincushion? If she was dumb, it was in agreeing to participate in the first place.

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2006, 6:18 am

Here's a disturbing thought. These ongoing injuries may actually motivate more performers to attempt the stunt. They may believe that their success will be much sweeter, given the recent injuries.

Much like the Bullet Catch, they will cite the injuries to other performers as part of their presentation, as a way of building suspense. Admittedly, this is a strong, though troubling, emotional hook.

And like people who attend car races in hopes of seeing a horrific crash, there will be some spectators who attend the performer's show in hopes of seeing him get hurt. Karmic payback for the magicians who have insulted or embarrassed or injured their volunteers.

I'll stick to cards, thanks.

Tom

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2006, 7:00 am

Originally posted by Paul Sherman:
From the video, it's pretty clear that the reason the poor woman's hand got spiked was that she was jerking it towards herself as he pushed it down towards the correct cup.
That was certainly not my understanding at the time.

Dave

Gary Freed

Postby Gary Freed » October 4th, 2006, 10:10 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
There are fool proof methods, and they are the fools that prove it. BTW, it did look like SHE caused it by pulling on his hand. Dumb. :whack:
Sorry, the fault is all his! If your nuts enough to perform this, please use your own hand!

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2006, 1:13 am

It certainly seemed to me that he made a last minute (or second) switch to the other cup. If the volunteer were to move the hand over, I would certainly hope, the performer would hold back. It looks to be his mistake on two accounts: First using the volunteer's hand instead of his own, and second missing with a potentially crippling "trick".

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2006, 10:08 am

Gary said it all and said it best above when he wrote:

Sorry, the fault is all his! If your nuts enough to perform this, please use your own hand!
There's no reason to ever expose a member of the audience to danger. I can't see this presentation of the trick as being anything other than stupidly sadistic.

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Coulda been worse. He could have borrowed her ring for Ring Flite, had it go wrong and fling her jewelry down the grating. Then, to take her mind off it, he follwed with the Bra Trick and conclued by impaling her hand. oops, that was another thead...

JohN R

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2006, 12:31 pm

Originally posted by Brown Hornet:
... He could have borrowed her ring for Ring Flite, had it go wrong and fling her jewelry down the grating. Then, to take her mind off it, he follwed with the Bra Trick and conclued by impaling her hand. oops...
Hold on there... that has the makings of a good "magician in trouble" act.

Postby Guest » October 5th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Good point, Jonathan. :D Wouldn't that play hilarious at a magic convention?

John R

Postby Guest » October 10th, 2006, 7:50 am

The Real sad part is that any A-Hole can go into a "magic dealer's store" and purchase anything they can afford, then instantly be able to call themselves "Magician".

On the other hand, you can buy a guitar but can you really be called a Musician?

Or, if you read a medical book are you now allowed to call yourself a Doctor?

It's no small wonder why many people hate "magicians".

Something needs to be done!

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2006, 8:30 pm

I watched the videos at a Ring meeting. They were horrible. They gave me cold chills and made me cringe.

It was especially bad when the magician used the volunteer. If you want to do someting dangerous that is one thing, but never put a member of the audience in any possible danger no matter how sure you are of yourself!

That's totally crazy!

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2006, 8:44 pm

I find it interesting that these comments about using specs for dangerous effects weren't raised when Keith Barry did the same routine with celebrities during his nationally telecast special on CBS back in June.

I'm not passing judgement either way (tho I personally wouldn't take the risk - I couldn't afford the lawyer to defend myself) just making an observation.

JMD

Return to “Link Watch”