Chris Kenner's Totally Out of Control

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Chris Kenner's Totally Out of Control

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2007, 1:56 pm

I have read some reviews outside of Genii and most have been more than just decent. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from anyone who might own or have read this book, and tell me if it is worth purchasing.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Chris Kenner's Totally Out of Control

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 19th, 2007, 2:31 pm

It's a killer book, with great material (cards, coins, ropes), or I wouldn't have published it. It's also funny as hell.

I'll probably be reprinting in 2008, so don't blow big bucks on it on eBay.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2007, 2:59 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
It's a killer book, with great material (cards, coins, ropes), or I wouldn't have published it. It's also funny as hell.

I'll probably be reprinting in 2008, so don't blow big bucks on it on eBay.
What level of experience or skill would you say is involved with most of the card tricks taught in this book?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 19th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Intermediate to expert.

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Richard,
Is the recent reprint out of print already? I could have sworn it was reprinted just last year.

Don't buy it for the card tricks. There are better books (from Richard for that matter) on card magic.

If you're going to buy it do so for the rubberband, rope and coin magic, which is pretty darn good.

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2007, 5:33 pm

I don't know about that, I thought the idea behind the trick Paint by Numbers is brilliant, though I'm not sure if Kenner is the first to use the deck as a paintbrush on the roughside of a close up mat to paint individual cards.

Postby Guest » December 19th, 2007, 11:46 pm

Hi J.D.C.,

if I were to chose one of my favorite magic references of all time, this would go right up there with "Mastering the Art of Magic" by Eugene Burger and "The Art of Astonishment" series by Paul Harris.

Chris Kenner has a very unique and offbeat way of creating art with a deck of cards, coins, ropes, rubberbands or whatever he can get his hands on.

He has a style and sense of humor that you will enjoy while deciding where you would like to modify some areas in some of his ideas to suit your own needs. I.E.: I'm sure you are familiar with very famous "Manage et Trois" coin routine (I hope that is spelled correctly), but I apply that to a sponge ball routine where I use 3 different colored sponges (blue, red, yellow) and they all change to "Sponge Eyeballs" as a finale. Kids love it but that's pretty much how I read his material; just to help me discover more ideas. But I digress... a little.

Also, Richard hit it right on the button. Everything that he has published is pure quality and "Totally Out of Control" is no exception.

Anyways, I hope this helps and take good care.

Anthony R.

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2007, 6:33 am

Thanks to all who posted a review or feedback, I really appreciate it. Any ideas as to when you plan to reprint in 2008 Richard?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 20th, 2007, 8:29 am

Sorry to disagree, but there are some superb card tricks in Out of Control.

Mike Tyler

Postby Mike Tyler » December 20th, 2007, 9:15 am

Any idea on ths price of the reprint?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 20th, 2007, 11:33 am

$40 or $45, depending on what the estimate is from the printer.

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2007, 7:24 am

it is a great book and one of the best sellers (when it is in stock)
a re-print is MUCH needed!

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » December 21st, 2007, 10:20 am

I still have my 1st printing copy. Maybe I can get Chris and Richard to autograph it, then when I pass on, Syd can sell it on ebay for the top dollar, since Richard and Chris are the next in legends in magic.

(And yes, I mean that seriously)

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 22nd, 2007, 2:23 am

This is a great book, and it's full of humor as well as great tricks.

If you don't have it, don't pass it by again when Richard reprints it.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » December 22nd, 2007, 8:05 am

The book is designed to include parody elements of both the Kaufman magic books and also children's activity books. Just say yes to getting one when it's back in print - you'll enjoy it.

Postby Guest » December 22nd, 2007, 3:41 pm

Lots of parody in there: Did Kenner have anything against Michael Ammar?

I always meant to get the stuff for the rope routine together - looks like a great effect.

A particular favourite of mine was Three Fry, a superb stand-up three coin vanish, reproduction and transformation. It has always played well for me. Perversion was another favourite, as was S.W.Elevator. Time to pick it up again I think.

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2007, 5:54 pm

I see Kenner's released Three Fry as a stand-alone video download over at T11. It's interesting to see the author perform it after having only the written description to refer to...

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2007, 10:04 pm

Not to nit pick but the 3fry that is released on video is not the 3fry in the book. 3fry in the book ends with a change of the coins into copper coins.

In the book he calls the three coin vanish sequence Long Gone Silver the wand is optional.

I agree it is great to see him releasing stuff in higher quality video. His sense of humor is great too.
Later,
Mike

Return to “Alternative Media”