AGELESS MEMORY

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Harry Lorayne

AGELESS MEMORY

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 27th, 2008, 9:58 am

Doubt very much if I'm doing this correctly, but - some have asked about my latest book, not in the magic area. It is AGELESS MEMORY (Simple Secrets for Keeping Your Mind Young). It's geared toward old farts, like me. My basic systems that I've taught in many other of my books but, as I say, geared to older people. I do teach the 400-digit feat, which is a killer, and also the instant magic square. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know. It's probably available in your local bookstore. If not, tell 'em to order it. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Pete Biro

Re: AGELESS MEMORY

Postby Pete Biro » January 27th, 2008, 10:26 am

I'd get it, but I can't remember where the bookstore is.
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2008, 10:38 am

Hardy Har Har, Pete.

YOU CAN BUY THE BOOK BY CLICKING ON THE AMAZON BUTTON ON THE RIGHT, THIRD FROM THE TOP!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 27th, 2008, 3:34 pm

You know what I can't remember? How many times I've heard those same kinds of jokes. My first book - 1956 (I was only four years old!) - Leonard Lyons, popular columnist for many newspapers (NY Post in NY) wrote - I'm paraphrasing - "Forgot my copy of HOW TO DEVELOP A SUPER-POWER MEMORY at the bank teller's cage." Walter Winchell also wrote the same kind of joke. (He also wrote about a well-known female singer of the time, with a large cup size, and said that I was giving he "mammory lessons"!

It hasn't stopped for over 50 bloody years! Keep up the jokes, folks. "If only I could remember where I put it," "If only I could remember to whom I loaned it," "If only I could remember how to get to the bookstore," "I wanted to call HL to tell him how much I enjoyed his book, but can't remember his tel. number," "I wanted to tell one of my friends about (name of one of my books), but I can't remember which one," and on and on and on and bloody on. Please! HARRY LORAYNE.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 27th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Who is this Harry Lorayne?
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Oy.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » January 27th, 2008, 7:12 pm

... vey iz mir.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Pete, you really know how to beat a dead horse. :)

DocDixon

Postby DocDixon » January 27th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Originally posted by Harry Lorayne:
You know what I can't remember? How many times I've heard those same kinds of jokes. My first book - 1956 (I was only four years old!) - Leonard Lyons, popular columnist for many newspapers (NY Post in NY) wrote - I'm paraphrasing - "Forgot my copy of HOW TO DEVELOP A SUPER-POWER MEMORY at the bank teller's cage." Walter Winchell also wrote the same kind of joke. (He also wrote about a well-known female singer of the time, with a large cup size, and said that I was giving he "mammory lessons"!

It hasn't stopped for over 50 bloody years! Keep up the jokes, folks. "If only I could remember where I put it," "If only I could remember to whom I loaned it," "If only I could remember how to get to the bookstore," "I wanted to call HL to tell him how much I enjoyed his book, but can't remember his tel. number," "I wanted to tell one of my friends about (name of one of my books), but I can't remember which one," and on and on and on and bloody on. Please! HARRY LORAYNE.
Just curious, after 50 years do you have prepared replies for these jokes? Toppers, putdowns, whatever. Or do you just smile nicely and let the person think they're being original.

With respect (to both you and the tireless Mr. Biro)

DD

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 27th, 2008, 8:54 pm

It's when they stop talking about you that you have to worry. ;)

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm

With people he doesn't know, Harry just smiles and keeps on going.

People he does know, know better than to make those jokes!

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 27th, 2008, 9:14 pm

DD: It's according to who is "doing" the fantastic joke, and according to which book of mine they mention. For example, if someone says, "I loaned my copy of THE MEMORY BOOK to someone, but can't remember who." I'd probably say, "Pick up a copy of AGELESS MEMORY and that will never happen to you again!" And variations of same.

I usually do have basic comebacks for the same damn remarks I've been hearing for over five decades. Like - I'll see someone socially that I haven't seen in years, and the remark usually is, "What's my name?" My answer: "As soon as you write a check, my memory automatically clicks in." And other such boring little sillinesses.

David, I never intimated that I want people to stop talking about me. That's fine, and has also been going on for over five decades. It's the jokes I can live without, mainly because I've heard them all - ALL - thousands of times. Big difference. No? Best - HARRY LORAYNE. (To "oy" and "vey iz mir" I'd add "shoyn genick"!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Harry, I cannot find your Yiddish expression here:
http://www.yiddishdictionaryonline.com/
... and it's pretty complete!
No defintion for "genick."

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 27th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Try "genug" (but pronounced "geh-nick" in Yiddish).
"Enough already!" ("Schon genug" in "High German").

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 28th, 2008, 5:41 am

When I was working cruise ships I had a small taste of what Harry has experienced over the years. The first cruise everything was new. By the third cruise ALL the questions were the same, just different people asking them. By the fourth cruise you could almost tell the question by the look on their face.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 28th, 2008, 5:51 am

Originally posted by David Alexander:
...you could almost tell the question by the look on their face.
Does that have application to mentalism?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 28th, 2008, 6:55 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
Originally posted by David Alexander:
[b] ...you could almost tell the question by the look on their face.
Does that have application to mentalism? [/b]
"Almost" is the operant word here, Jonathan.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 28th, 2008, 6:58 am

Right on, Richard (Hatch). Richard (Kaufman): It's because, in Yiddish, the spelling is phonetic, so it can be spelled many different ways. The phrase means "Enough already." Listen:

Dedades ago, in the Jewish newspaper, The Daily Forward, there was a story about a 97-year old man who was divorcing his 95-year old wife.
He was asked why, why after over 70 years of marriage. His answer: "SHOYN GENUG!" HL

jerry lazar

Postby jerry lazar » January 28th, 2008, 9:52 am

Dedades ago, in the Jewish newspaper, The Daily Forward, there was a story about a 97-year old man who was divorcing his 95-year old wife.
He was asked why, why after over 70 years of marriage. His answer: "SHOYN GENUG!" HL
Alternate translation: "Your honor, we were waiting for the kids to die." (Ka-boom)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 28th, 2008, 12:33 pm

Originally posted by Harry Lorayne:
Walter Winchell also wrote the same kind of joke. (He also wrote about a well-known female singer of the time, with a large cup size, and said that I was giving he "mammory lessons"!
I went looking through some of the digitized online files of newspapers for this, couldn't find it. But the earliest mention of Harry that I did find was interesting:

a Ripley's Believe it or Not cartoon from June 4, 1951 in the Kokomo Ind Times. "HARRY LORAYNE (Brooklyn, NY) CAN STRING 9 PIECES OF THREAD THROUGH THE HEAD OF A NEEDLE BEHIND HIS BACK"

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 28th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Bill: Boy, that sure brings back memories. Did you see the drawing of me that went along with that piece? I look like my own grandson! What's interesting is that I was the feature item of another Believe It Or Not item, years after that one - the fact that I could remember 400 peoples' names and faces after meeting them only once. Interesting that that didn't show up in your search. Best - Harry Lorayne.

Larry Barnowsky

Postby Larry Barnowsky » February 15th, 2008, 6:32 pm

I bought Ageless Memory for a family member as a gift as well as a copy for myself (through the Genii link). This is a great read. I have an old copy of How To Develop a Super Power Memory, and I think this new book is even better than that. Harry's phonetic system is a marvel. There are so many practical systems and techniques to memorize names, faces, numbers etc. Highly recommended.

Zay gesunt,

Larry
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com

Return to “Alternative Media”