Curry switch applications...?

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Curry switch applications...?

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2004, 9:27 am

Hi guys. Does anyone have ideas surrounding the usefulness of this switch? I know Tamariz experimented with it, adding some thoughtful touches in Sonata but when, and for what should it be used? Has anybody besides Curry published work using this or other similar switches?
Thanks

Frank Yuen

Re: Curry switch applications...?

Postby Frank Yuen » January 27th, 2004, 11:42 am

If I remember correctly Lorayne has a chapter on the Curry Turnover change in Close Up Card Magic.

Frank Yuen

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » January 27th, 2004, 1:34 pm

You also might check out Jamie Badman's "Underground Change", based on Marlo's refinement of the move. Jamie's manuscript references the Marlo write-up; it escapes my brain at the moment.

-Tony

Postby Guest » January 27th, 2004, 1:35 pm

Jamie Badman has a nice manuscript out on a Curry variation called the Underground Change, and I believe a website devoted to this and other items.

Marlo and Jennings have touches and effects utilizing this move throughout their literature; properly used, it is an incredible weapon. One current darling in the closeup scene has stunned people all over the world with various applications.

--Randy Campbell

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » January 28th, 2004, 4:32 am

Thanks guys!

My site is The Underground Collective

The manuscript is available as a download for $10.

'Misdirection Monte' is my favourite effect from the manuscript.

You might want to check out 'Heirloom' while you're there too; it's not a card trick but it looks SO good - and we're still offering bonus items to people ordering from us, though this won't last much longer.

If 'Heirloom' has not yet been submitted to 'Genii' for review, I'm happy to send a copy in ?

Cheers,

Jamie.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 28th, 2004, 10:12 am

Alex:

Here's something you can do with the turnover change (Curry or otherwise).

Take any deck. If you like, make sure the 2nd and 3rd cards from the top contrast well. Let's say they're AS, KH.

Double turnover, showing AS. Turn down and deal this to the table on your left.

Double turnover, showing KH. Turn down and deal this to the table on your right.

Snap your fingers over the KH on your right, then turn it face up, revealing the AS.

As you are doing this, turn over (i.e. switch) the AS on your left, revealing the KH.

The timing of the move, coming just as the switch of the card on the right is revealed, provides excellent cover.

I'm sure this is one of the most obvious applications of this move, but it's really about as clean and straightforward a version of the two card transposition as you'll ever see. If you can do the turnover switch on a spectator's hand you can do the entire thing without a table.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2004, 6:57 am

Thanks for the information guys. I realised after I posted that it was in the wrong place, I won't make the mistake twice. Also I confused the mexican with the turnover switch.
I look forward to reading your applications Jamie, I've heard your name mentioned once or twice at conventions over here.
Tahnks to Pete for the transposition idea. I've just discovered Jennings' 'Synchronicity', what a gem.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2004, 7:00 am

Jamie, will you be attending the Blackpool Convention?

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » January 29th, 2004, 9:16 am

Also I confused the mexican with the turnover switch.
So are you asking about the Mexican Turnover and not the Curry Turnover?

FRank Yuen

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2004, 10:07 am

Soory, no I meant in reference to the tips Tamariz offers in Sonata. Thanks though.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2004, 10:08 am

Sorry, no I meant in reference to the tips Tamariz offers in Sonata. Thanks though.

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2004, 3:40 pm

Jenning's "Synchronicity"

... it's a 3 phase "Do as I do"... one of which uses the Curry exchange... good routine (I thought the Curry exchange was the strongest part of the effect.)

You'll find the trick in "The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings" and some 80's video (whose name escapes me) bonus points to anyone who names this tape... it's buggin me that I can't remember the name of the vid! Hey, Dan Huffman, you out there??? (I watched the vid in your apt.)

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 29th, 2004, 4:32 pm

I'm pretty sure that Doug Conn is talking about the Larry Jennings tapes from Duvivier that were released by Busby in this country. They were really good, as was the Dingle tape that came out with them.

Yves Tourigny

Postby Yves Tourigny » January 30th, 2004, 6:58 am

I am at work presently so I can't give you the actual name of the tape but it is a video produced by Pierre Mayer ( who did 6 videos of Eddy Marlo materials incidently). If memory serves me there is four tricks in it: Synchronicity, New wave coins accross, a Master Poker demonstration (found in Classic Magic of LJ; the trick where he talks about using the Snatch or something like that) and his One cup and Ball found in the same book. And yes they were produced in France.

Have a nice day

Yves

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » January 30th, 2004, 10:11 am

Alex-M-B

Sorry; not at Blackpool this year - first time I've missed it for ages. Wife wouldn't let me go to both that AND TSD this year :-(

BTW, check out some of the routines in Harry Lorrayne's 'Close Up Card Magic' if no one has mentioned it. Some great Curry routines there.

Jamie.

Return to “Alternative Media”