Edward George Brown

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.
Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Edward George Brown

Postby Sam Kesler » April 23rd, 2005, 8:25 am

Anyone have any information about the magic of Mr. Brown?

In new Arrivals at H& R Magic a new book titled Edward George Brown: A Magical Life by Paul Gordon $45.00 For the first time ever, a full biography of this talented magician; together with some of his exciting creations and contributions from other highly respected artistes. Imported from England & limited to 500 copies worldwide.

Richard Hatch

Re: Edward George Brown

Postby Richard Hatch » April 23rd, 2005, 9:15 am

You might want to wait for the reviews in GENII and MAGIC...

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 23rd, 2005, 9:45 am

Sorry Richard, I can't wait.

"The Card Magic of Edward G. Brown" by Trevor H. Hall was published by the Magic Circle in 1973. It contains some excellent card magic. I found a copy at Magic Books by Postmany years ago.

While not an innovator of effects, E.G. Brown was a respected card man of his dayand noteworthy are his version of "Everywhere and Nowhere," "Cards Up the Sleeve," "The Intelligence Quotient Test Improved," "The Detective Card Trick" and "The Military Problem," among others.

Paul Gordon spent several years researching and writing the biography.

Matt Field

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 23rd, 2005, 1:06 pm

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
Sorry Richard, I can't wait...

Peter [Paul] Gordon spent several years researching and writing the biography.
The "full biography" consists of 4 pages: pp. 13-16.
Consider yourself warned!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2005, 1:17 pm

Eric Mead comes down pretty hard in his review of the Brown book in the June issue of Genii.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 23rd, 2005, 3:39 pm

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
(Paul) Gordon spent several years researching and writing the biography.
He actually spent ONE year on the book. ( Paul Gordon over at the Cafe )

In less than a year, I've been able to gather much more information on Leipzig than Gordon has on Brown. At this point, I don't feel that I have enough material to be worthy of a book. Take that as you will.

-Jim

Sam Kesler
Favorite Magician: Ed Marlo

Postby Sam Kesler » April 24th, 2005, 8:21 pm

Wow, I am blown away by everyone's response. You guys are the greatest bunch...

To Richard Hatch...your hint was so honest I couldn't believe it. At the risk of losing a sale too. Okay, okay. I promise to buy something else from you!

And thanks to the Chief Genii for the heads up on the June issue. Glad you keep that crystal ball of yours polished. Just another good reason I'm glad I renewed my Genii subscription for another year. ;)

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » May 20th, 2005, 8:41 am

Genii & Magic (and possibly other USA mags) don't like my book...but these respected 'names/magazines' do. Just thought I'd show another viewpoint.

"I have just spent a happy weekend reading Paul's books on both Edward G. Brown & Percy Naldrett. We mere mortals owe a debt of gratitude to those, such as Eddie Dawes, John Fisher, Milbourne Christopher and many others (now including Paul Gordon) who have researched various aspects of the wide world of magical history and who have passed their findings on for the rest of us to enjoy." Peter Eldin (The Magic Circular)

"Fascinating information about one of England's most influential creators of card magic effects and principles. Paul has done a wonderful job of collating all the information, photographic and otherwise, between two covers. A must-read for anyone who thinks of themselves as a knowledgeable card magician. Your knowledge will be lacking if you don't read this book." Peter Duffie

"The production of the book is second-to-none, and I can't understand why the selling price is so low. The work also contains valuable information about Willane, Trevor Hall and Ibidem, with superb trick contributions from; Peter Duffie, Wesley James, Daryl, Peter Warlock, Tom Ransom, Dai Vernon and others. I firmly believe that Paul Gordon has done a tremendous job producing a book that will satisfy both the historians out there and the card magicians who will discover a treasure trove of fabulous ideas and routines between its covers. Very highly recommended!" Stephen Tucker (The Budget)

"This book would not have been possible without the immense amount of work and research of Paul Gordon. Paul has spent hundreds of hours and thousands of miles in tracking, finding and putting together the contents of what you now have in your hands. He deserves a very big thank you." Roger Crosthwaite

"The books [Naldrett & Brown] arrived in good shape a couple days ago, and I've read them both. I must say that I greatly enjoyed themgood job!" Jim Alfredson

"It was kind of you to send me a copy of your excellent book on Brown, the culmination obviously of a great deal of research. I found it very interesting and full of great material. You have done a fine job in putting his work and thinking on record." Alan Shaxon

"Paul describes his work as a labour of love and that's exactly what the book feels likeIf biographies of magicians are of interest to you, this should be on your 'to buy' list." Ian Vallance (The Magic Circular)
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 20th, 2005, 9:47 am

Sorry, Paul, but your book on E.G. Brown is lousy and a total rip-off for the price. Go pedal it elsewhere.

Charles Spector

Postby Charles Spector » May 20th, 2005, 3:13 pm

I purchased the book before the reviews. When I finished the biography part all I could say was "and that's it?" I'm surprised Paul didn't include a picture of a sock that Brown once wore. Yes, it's that bad! Footnotes that are not needed except for a pseudo scholarly dressing. The book is a joke.

Charles Spector

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » May 20th, 2005, 11:44 pm

I haven't seen the book or any of the official reviews, but I'm puzzled how opinions can be so polarised. The glowing testimonials Mr. Gordon provides above are from highly respected magicians, yet others can't find anything good to say about it. What exactly is in the book? Even if the biographical material is scant, what about the trick contributions, again from highly respected names?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 21st, 2005, 8:25 am

You might note that, with the exception of Jim Alfredson (who's too nice a guy to write someone a letter saying their book was junk), that all of the positive comments Gordon listed were from fellow Brits.

Temperance

Postby Temperance » May 21st, 2005, 8:50 am

So?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 21st, 2005, 10:21 am

It was just an observation.

Ian Keable

Postby Ian Keable » May 25th, 2005, 7:26 am

Richard writes:
You might note that, with the exception of Jim Alfredson (who's too nice a guy to write someone a letter saying their book was junk), that all of the positive comments Gordon listed were from fellow Brits.
That's no argument Richard. Couldn't you say exactly the same about the quotes from the "fellow Brits"? That they are "too nice" to write saying the book was junk?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 25th, 2005, 9:05 am

I've seen lots of "quotes" from people on books they actually thought stank to high heaven. Why they give quotes to books which stink I have no idea (though some just do it as a favor), unless they have not actually seen the book before giving the quote! I am mystified how anyone could give a positive quote to a book that purports to be a biography, when in fact the biographical information is only, what, four pages long?

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 25th, 2005, 11:55 am

Maybe that is a complete biography. Maybe Brown lived an extraordinarily dull life.

Ian Keable

Postby Ian Keable » May 25th, 2005, 3:18 pm

He was a bank manager - I suspect he did!

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » May 25th, 2005, 11:20 pm

OK, so the biography is rather short, and maybe it turns out there wasn't a lot to say after all. What about the "trick contributions from Peter Duffie, Wesley James, Daryl, Peter Warlock, Tom Ransom, Dai Vernon and others"?

I'm not on anyone's side here - just trying to find out about the book as I don't get to conventions and it's unlikely I'll have a chance to peruse a copy. I only regret not buying "The Card Magic of Edward Brown" years ago when it used to be readily available.

Return to “Alternative Media”