References for Drunken Poker Deals (long!)

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.
Paul Cummins

References for Drunken Poker Deals (long!)

Postby Paul Cummins » April 18th, 2003, 7:34 pm

Hello all,

I'll apologize in advance to folks who see this post more than once, I'm sending to a couple of on-line sites.

After having put the Punken Droker routine in Freebie IV I started to look into different versions of the routine that are out there - sorting of having put the cart before the horse as it were.

Below are the references I found in my own library last night (in addition to the Scarne routine cited in the Punken Droker write-up) and a couple from David Micheal Evans. Does anyone know of any others, or does anyone have a copy of the Jennings routine in The Cardiste, or a copy of Pete Biro's Lecture Notes #1, or a copy of the item in the Daley Notebooks? And, does anyone have a reference for the Eugene Castillion method if it was ever published?

Kabbala, Volume 11, No. One, Jon Racherbaumer, September 1972, "Sloppy Drunk Poker" by David L. Bendix. This is an overhand shuffle version based on Pete Biro's "Slop Poker" from his Lecture Notes #1. One hand is dealt, the triumph effect is included, and the aces are the winning hand. Racherbaumer says, "This, of course, is an overhand shuffle method for a riffle shuffle effect attributed to Persi Diaconis."

Million Dollar Card Secrets, Frank Garcia, 1972, "Poker Dream". This looks like it is almost exactly the procedure outlined in the Guyatt routine from Alton Sharpe's book. There is no Triumph effect in this rendition, the deck remains a topsy-turvy mess after the deals. Two hands are dealt.

Hierophant 7, The Resurrection Issue, Jon Racherbaumer, 1975, "Sober Slop Poker" by Ed Marlo. So far, this is the first instance of using faro shuffles to accomplish the effect. The routine is dated 2/24/72 by Marlo and says to see notes of 1971 for "Four Ace Triumph" for a more sophisticated handling - which may refer to the item in Marlo's Magazine, Volume 6. One hand is dealt and the Triumph effect is included.

Kabbala, Jon Racherbaumer, 1976, "Super Stoned Poker Deal" by Simon Aronson. No Triumph effect is included in this routine but it is clearly the best of the routines in which more than one hand is dealt. Racherbaumer sites the Scarne routine in Scarne on Card Tricks, the Guyatt routine in Expert Card Conjuring, and the Garcia routine from Million Dollar Card Secrets. Racherbaumer also notes that Aronson suggested integrating a "triumph" finish to the routine, but that version (if it existed) was not included. Additionally, Racherbaumer mentions that Eugene Castillion "worked out another variation" which was not included in the Kabbala article. He also states that Larry Jennings published a routine in The Cardiste (1969) that featured similar handlings and procedures, but says the Jennings routine was "not a "drunken deal" but a cardman's demonstration of a combination Triumph-Poker Deal." Finally, Racherbaumer mentions that though others claim the approach, it is most often credited to Persi Diaconis. Three deals are included and this is the first instance that I've found in which a royal flush is included in the routine.

Best of Friends, Harry Lorayne, 1982, "Mixed-Up Poker" by Meir Yedid. Lorayne mentions, "I believe that the credit for the basic idea belongs to Persi Diaconis,' and, as a last minute note, "During a session with Persi Diaconis, he advised me that Larry Jennings printed quite a similar handling of the basic effect in Cardiste.".

Marlo's Magazine, Volume 6, Ed Marlo, 1988, "The Triumph Stack". Using an actual straightforward riffle stack of the four aces with the Triumph effect, Marlo mentions that "The version that is going around makes use of 3 riffle shuffles or the Shank shuffle with one block transfer and is, both in method and effect, that of Persi Diaconis." One hand is dealt.

Modus Operandi, The Card Magic of Jack Carpenter, Stephen Hobbs, 1992, "Full Metal Jacket". Hobbs describes in a footnote that item 576 in Daley's Notebooks, is "Up and Down Four Ace Run Up," on which Mr. Carpenter's routine is based. He also mentions that "Dr. Persi Diaconis is frequently credited with the presentational variant in which the aces are delivered face down to the performer while the rest of the cards are found face up." One hand is dealt, the Triumph effect is used and the four aces are the winning hand.

The Card Magic of Nick Trost, Nick Trost, 1997, "Tenkai Poker Deal". Trost was inspired directly from a routine performed by Ricky Jay on his television special "Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women." Trost also mentions that, "the plot, where face-up and face-down poker hands are dealt, is generally credited to Persi Diaconis. One hand is dealt, the Triumph effect is used and the four aces are the winning hand.

DME helped out with:

Phoenix - No.23 (November 27, 1942) p. 95, "Scarne's Drunken Deal"

52 AMAZING CARD TRICKS (Steele, 1949), p. 54, "The Drunken Deal" by John
Scarne

Thanks for any help!

Best,

Paul

Paul Cummins

Re: References for Drunken Poker Deals (long!)

Postby Paul Cummins » April 18th, 2003, 7:38 pm

Sorry, I accidentally omitted the following:

Expert Card Conjuring, Alton Sharpe, 1968, "Guyatt's Drunken Cut Improved", by Terry Guyatt. Two hands are dealt, the Triumph effect is not included, and the aces are the winning hand.

Paul

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » April 20th, 2003, 4:59 am

Paul,

Jeff Busby published "The Return of the Future Gambler" in the "Epoptica Yearbook All-Trick Special" [1984]. It's Busby's handling of Larry Jennings' "Future Gambler".

Regards,

John

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » April 20th, 2003, 6:06 pm

Originally posted by John Pezzullo:
Paul,

Jeff Busby published "The Return of the Future Gambler" in the "Epoptica Yearbook All-Trick Special" [1984]. It's Busby's handling of Larry Jennings' "Future Gambler".

Outstanding, John, thanks! Now, is there anyone out there who would photocopy just the above routine and send it to me? I'll pay postage and a set of lecture notes or FUSILLADE or an Up In Smoke video - or something!

Thanks,

Paul

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » April 21st, 2003, 3:09 am

Paul,

I'll send you the necessary photocopies by mail. There's no need to send anything in return. It's my pleasure to be of some assistance.

Regards,

John

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » April 21st, 2003, 6:55 am

Awesome, John, thanks VERY much!

Paul

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 6th, 2018, 2:56 pm

There's also an interesting article reprinted from True Detective in Phoenix #23 about this trick worked as a real world con.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » March 7th, 2018, 8:22 am

Here is my list:

The Phoenix 23 27 11 1942 95 Scarne's Drunken Deal - Scarne John
52 Amazing Card Tricks 1949 42 The Drunken Deal - Scarne John
Scarne on Card Tricks 1950 124 Scarne’s Drunken Poker Deal - Scarne John
Expert Card Conjuring 1968 63 Guyatt’s Drunken Cut Improved - Guyatt Terry
The Cardiste 13 1969 29 The Future Gambler - Jennings Larry
Innovations, A New Series of Close Up Miracles 1972 1 Derek Dingle’s Master Poker Demonstration - Dingle Derek
Kabbala 2 1 9 1972 6 Sloppy Drunk Poker - Bendix David
Million Dollar Card Secrets 1972 88 Poker Dream - Garcia Frank
Jacob Daley’s Notebooks (item 576) 1971 576 Up and Down Four Ace Run Up - Daley Jacob
Hierophant 7 1975 18 Sober Slop Poker - Marlo Ed
Kabbala 3 8 4 1976 101 Super Stoned Poker Deal - Aronson Simon
Pabular 5 6 6 1979 690 Irish Poker - Lees Walt
The Complete Works of Derek Dingle 1982 207 Master Poker Demonstration - Dingle Derek
Best of Friends 1 1982 243 Mixed-Up Poker - Yedid Meir
Epoptica Yearbook 1984 289 The Return of the Future Gambler - Jennings Larry & Busby Jeff
Dreams of Reality 1985 28 The Once and Future Gambler - McCarthy Daniel
Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table 1988 66 Greek Poker - Ortiz Darwin
Marlo's Magazine 6 1988 135 The Triumph Stack - Marlo Ed
Modus Operandi 1992 87 Full Metal Jack - Carpenter Jack
Alias 1993 Overworked Poker - Wilson R. Paul
The Stewart Notes 1997 30 Drunken Poker Player - Stewart James
The Card Magic of Nick Trost, 1997 108 Tenkai Poker Deal - Trost Nick
Knock ‘Em Dead lecture notes 1999 Overworked Poker - Wilson R. Paul
The Lost Notebooks of John Northern Hilliard 2001 263 The Drunken Poker Player or Drunken Gambler - Judah Stewart

Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

Postby Christopher1979 » March 7th, 2018, 11:44 am

I do have a copy of Cardiste will have to have a look through it
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » March 7th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Did you check Denis Behr's Conjuring Archive?

24 entries in Cards / Effect Themes / Turnover & Reverse / Triumph / Daley/Diaconis Poker Plot

http://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/category/1368

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » March 10th, 2018, 9:29 am

The version in Expert card Conjuring is Marlo's improvement of Guyatt's handling.
I believe Guyatt's original was published in the Magic Circular as I'm Thinker Than you Drunk I Am.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » March 11th, 2018, 11:03 am

Framework, Tom Frame, 2015, "Stoned Poker Triumph".

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 4th, 2018, 5:46 am

El Mystico wrote:The version in Expert card Conjuring is Marlo's improvement of Guyatt's handling.
I believe Guyatt's original was published in the Magic Circular as I'm Thinker Than you Drunk I Am.

Guyatt's handling appeared in The Magic Circular, October, 1966, page 4.

Return to “Reference Room”